What's new

I Bought the Toshiba (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Nothing wrong with Boston Acoustics stuff :)....I used their speakers for years until NHT rolled around.

DeeF

Screenwriter
The very first thing I did was set the resolution of the player to 1080i.

The HD-A1 will upscale DVDs over component outputs, if the DVDs don't have copy protection in place. I was able to get this to work today, but I'm not all that thrilled with it. My RP-82s picture, for most DVDs, is fabulous and perfectly satisfactory to me.

As I've said, I don't have HDMI, and I won't be replacing my very expensive plasma any time soon (in order to get HDMI/HDCP). So I'm going to have to deal with my system as it is, component cables, and coaxial digital cables for the audio.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

Fair enough but again for the best audio use the analog out assuming your A/V receiver has analog in of course. Also if you know how to make backups of your DVD's they will upscale over component fyi. :)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

Dee,

Most all of Anchor bays, Elite and Roan will upscale thru component. I have quite a few of those titles and to me, they look great. Like I said, regular SDs look better on the RP-82, so I guess we'll be using our players for some time to come.

In the next few months, hopefully, I'll be getting a device that will connect to my component connection on my Mit CRT RPTV 65711. It will be component to DVI (HDCP compliant), then I'll be able to use the HDMI cable and will be able to upscale all my SDs.

I've only gotten 2 movies (CoR and AF) and they look fantastic! The player has froze up on 2 SDs that were being upscaled, but that's the only problem so far.

I'm just waiting for the 2.0 firmware to be mailed to me.

Many hours of happy viewing are awaiting us!!!

John

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Enjoy, Dee. I have considered getting this player just to see how it upscales through component for the DVDs that are not copy protected. I can't justify upgrading my $3,000, 5 year old - only display to a new one which includes HDMI until 2009, when all the signals will be in HD, because right now all non HD channels look pretty much like old VHS tape pq on my HD set. In 2009 I'll get the new monitor for TV and disc playing alike.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Something I've thought about buying:

http://sewelldirect.com/gefendvidetective.asp

Apparently, you can attach this unit up to your HDCP player (using HDMI/DVI), and then attach it to an HDCP monitor on the other end. Once the connection completes the "handshake," it won't look for HDCP again (as long as it is turned on). So, you can then attach your own monitor in place of the HDCP monitor.

I don't know if it works, but it has been suggested to me as a workaround for my old plasma with DVI, but no HDCP.

"Near Dark". When I started play, the A1 didn't give me the warning message and automatic switchover to 480p output resolution. The upconversion was beautiful.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Not quite sure if to start a new topic thread or post it here, I was checking out an eletronic online store and they have listed a Toshiba HD-XA1 which is the higher level HD-DVD player with 1080p support and HDMI v1.3 output and costs at a retail of $799 (unlike the regular lower level HD-A1 at $499 minus the HDMI and 1080p support). Just wondering if anyone bought this higher edition HD-DVD player yet and their thoughts on this player compared to the lower level one.

Basically, just looking for a good comparison between HD-XA1 vs HD-A1 by Toshiba.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Do you have a link to that store? At best this place just does not know what they are selling—at worst they are guilty of fraud.

The differences between the two models are really quite limited: the HD-XA1 player has a RS-232C port and an Ethernet port; both are not present on the HD-A1. The XA1 also has more robust chassis.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Perhaps we should change this thread to the official "joining of the HD-DVD fraternity" or something. But anyway...

I have, indeed, taken the high-def plunge. On another thread on here I said I was going to wait a bit longer for my BB Reward Zone rebates, but I couldn't. I figured I'd be spending money all year on new releases at BB anyway, so it really wouldn't matter when I used the rebates. Picked up the A-1 and Serenity, but won't be able to hook it up until tomorrow as I'm not home until then. Looking forward to it, though. Also, how do I know what Firmware version I have? I do have access to an ethernet connection here, but not at home, so could anyone recommend what I should do to make sure I'm all updated and ready to go?

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

I believe in setup go to "maintenance" then "update" and before you commit to update the current version is displayed. The latest version is 1.4 but rumor has it that version 2.0 will be released on the 22nd of this month. Version 2.0 will enable 5.1 Dolby true HD.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
So you have to have it hooked up to a display, then?

Is there anyway to get firmware updates besides downloading it directly into the player? For example, can you download it to a flash drive, and hook up said drive through the USB port on the A1?

Edit: Just checked out the top of the forum, got all the info I need.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Perhaps one of you can explain more fully the audio of the Toshiba player.

I own a Boston Acoustics surround-sound system. It isn't a receiver, and it only has a few inputs — a coaxial, an optical, and stereo RCAs. That's it.

Currently, I have my Panasonic RP-82 connected to the BA using a coaxial cable, and I get digital 5.1 sound, which sounds pretty good to my ears.

Now, the Toshiba has a coaxial input too, so I initially used this, but I got no sound at all (on HD-DVDs). I changed the Set-Up from "Bitstream" to "PCM" and now I get sound, though it seems far less robust than what I was used to with the Panasonic.

Now, I find that I can playback DVDs right on the Toshiba, but in order to hear 5.1 audio, I have to change Set-Up to "Bitstream."

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks