What's new

I bought both formats, HD DVD and Blu-ray that is...... (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After much thought, I decided to be what I've always been before which is an early adopter when it comes to home theater. So this past weekend, I ordered a RCA HDV5000 HD DVD player and Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-ray player. Circuit City had a 10% coupon that I used so I got $50.00 off the RCA player and $100 off the Samsung. Yesterday, I received the HD DVD player. The picture quality is great and what an experience I had watching both "The Bourne Supremacy" and "Apollo 13" in 1080I. So far, knock on wood, I had no glitches. Hopefully, that will continue as I watch the other 7 HD DVD titles I bought recently.

This afternoon, I received the tracking number that my Blu-ray player has shipped. As can be expected, I'm very excited and can hardly wait until Monday when I receive that player. I just hope I have some Blu-ray discs to watch on it.;) If not then I'll make due with some SD DVDS. I might have to stop by Best Buy or Circuit City to see if they have any if my preorder discs don't make it here on time.

A long time ago, I decided that I wasn't taking sides in this format war and just wanted a winner to be declared. However, I don't think such a winner is going to come any time soon. I have nothing to base that opinion on, except my gut feeling. Anyhow, I'm now prepared to enjoy watching HD discs no matter what happens in this latest format war.:)

Crawdaddy

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Figured you couldn't hold out Robert ;) Make sure your RCA has the latest firmware and you should be good to go. Oh, and wait til' you watch The Chronicles Of Riddick!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Robert,

Which HD DVDs did you pick up?

Do you have any BDs ordered?

Congrats on jumping in!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HD DVDS are the following:
  • Unforgiven
  • Goodfellas
  • Swordfish
  • Million Dollar Baby
  • Blazing Saddles
  • The Last Samurai
  • The Bourne Supremacy
  • Jarhead
  • Apollo 13

The Blu-ray discs preordered are:
  • The Fifth Element
  • House of the Flying Daggers
  • Underworld-Evolution

Crawdaddy

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Robert - Congratulations on the additions to your HT. Even though you were holding out, I figured that the prospect of The Searchers later this year in HD would be too much to resist. :)

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the experience.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, Steve it was comments from you and guys like Walter Kittel that pushed me over the edge to buying into HD discs.:)

Crawdaddy

Steve Blair

Second Unit
I've had hd-dvd since launch day and am getting blu ray as well I believe. I believe as well that this battle will take years not months to work itself out and even then it may just be a universal player with a situation like dvd audio and sacd. I cannot wait that long and sd dvd PQ is just not good enough for me anymore after getting hd dvd. Sure, I'll watch some sd dvd during that time but I won't be buying any.

Congrats on the purchases, Robert.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

Robert, you're just going to have to return the favor (at least as far as Blu-ray goes). I hope to hear your impressions regarding Blu-ray in the coming days / weeks.

- Walter.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Well that didn't take too long. :)

You have all these guys here smoking good dope and eventually you can't help but smell it too ... then it is pointless ...

I figure you owe us half a pack. :D

In the end ... the point is ... to enjoy it.

Regards

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
*Whew* You guys are leaving me in the dust! :)

I'm trying to hold out until July 2007 (at which point I think there will be a clearer indication as to the "winner" and/or an announcement regarding a "Combo" deck). But I'm beginning to think I'm going to have a really hard time holding out that long!

I *do* know this: If it were not for the "war" I would already have one of these decks ... !

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, you guys who bought both players....just think, you don't need a universal player now. :)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations, Robert! Enjoy both of your new toys!

My Samsung BD player shipped from Circuit City today and should arrive Saturday via Fedex. :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

What Walter said (and thanks, Robert!)

When I see that Robocop is on the BD list, I am this close to taking the plunge...

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks