What's new

I bought a Barry Manilow CD. Am I going to be stoned in the town square? :o) (1 Viewer)

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I'd rather admit to being a Barry Manilow fan than a Larry King fan.

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
Stoned in the town square??...I'm not sure..... but you may have been a little 'zoned' in the Costco :laugh:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm not afraid to say the very first record album i ever owned was barry manilow live circa mid 70's.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
i'm not afraid to say the very first record album i ever owned was barry manilow live circa mid 70's.
Possibly for me too, however I won it from a radio station (AM of course) call-in contest. I don't think I still have it.

Doug

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I think I'm a step and a half more guilty than the rest of ya'll. Manilow is performing live @ Deer Creek later this month and me and a couple of friends are going:b

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My favorite song of his is "Could it be Magic," which is actually a pretty nice expansion of a Chopin theme.
Chopin's Prelude in C-Sharp Minor.
Oooooops! I know too much! Um, Keith....I'll be the guy standing behind you in the town square! ;)
Two weird things about this:
The first time I tried to type this post, my machine gave me a blue screen of death--something it never does. Maybe my PC is a little too anti-Manilow!
And, I held the Ultimate Manilow CD in my hands at my local Borders for a similar price and came--this close--to buying it. Probably will soon! :laugh:

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Wife's a big Manilow fan, and I admit to liking many of his songs too.

I bought her the DVD of MANILOW LIVE! -- closet fans should definitely check it out. Anamorphic widescreen video (downconvert from hi-def) with DD/DTS sound. Nice package.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Okay...okay...
I'm finally in!
Ultimate Manilow is on sale this week at Circuit City for $10.99. Saw it while browsing, laughed, and took it to the checkout.
Looks like I maaaaaaade it........
:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am glad to see I am not the only who will be stoned in the town square. We even have one in the crowd who is going to see Manilow in concert. I'll leave you nameless, Carl. ;)
What I find funny in listening to the Manilow CD is that many songs have a big ending where he sings louder and louder, complete with at least one key change. I keep thinking he is going to throw in an "Everybody now!" just before one of those key changes. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Keith--
Those key changes are "classic". Without 'em, they ain't Manilow songs! One of the songs--I forget which right now--has two of those key changes at the end! :rolleyes
I listened to the entire CD on a long car ride today. The bulk of work--all major hits--is amazing. The similarity between the songs is also amazing. My wife and kids did NOT take my life during the ride -- most amazing! :D
It's too bad the songs couldn't be re-mastered to improve their rather obvious 1970's-era fidelity.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
Those key changes are very Manilowesque. Absolutely. I couldn't imagine the songs without them, but they are funny anyway. It's sort of Vegasy. :)
Patrick,
Actually, I saw an Air Supply compilation CD at Barnes & Noble yesterday for $6.99. I actually had it in my hand and got a good laugh, but I did not come home with it. :)

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
You should feel no shame about the Manilow CD, my friend.
I used to be anti-everything except progressive rock/jazz and would deride anyone who listened to anything else. Then one day the Spice Girls hit the radio waves and I just had to buy the CD. It turned out to be my liberation!!! Since then I've picked up stuff like Bing Crosby, Doris Day, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, the list goes on...
Enjoy the Music, ignore the stones :D
-Mike...

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
My wife went to see one of his shows here in St. Louis a few years ago (before I knew her) and she got hauled up on stage to sing with him!! We were watching the video of her "moment" just the other day w/some friends. I still have to laugh that she got chosen.

And as a kid, I used to have older ladies come up to me all the time and tell me that I look like Manilow. I'm scarred for life.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
While searching thru my laserdiscs last night, I came across a still-sealed vinyl record of Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits Volume 2. I better set up that Technics turntable of mine.... Let the stoning begin, but please, not the face.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks