What's new

I applaud United Artists Theaters - their no pager policy. (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Believe it. I've been wearing a pager for 8 or 9 years. ( And the current support system is much better than the one in place pre-1999 which invariably meant that you would be called at least 2 or 3 times a week offshift. ) And by the way, I took the job before I took the pager.

The concept that responsible people should be punished for the actions of the irresponsible is anathema to me. Deal with those who cause the problems.

( Covering old ground in this thread ) - When you guys can get people to shut the fuck up, and stop kids from running up and down the stairs, stop the guy behind you from kicking your seat, etc., etc., then you might be on to something. Until then, your theatrical experience is still subject to the vagaries of your fellow theater-goers regardless of the presence or absence of communication electronics, despite the reduced odds of disturbance.

- Walter.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
The concept that responsible people should be punished for the actions of the irresponsible is anathema to me. Deal with those who cause the problems.
I strongly agree. I can't honestly believe ther are so many in this thread advocating this. Hey, hold the a$$ clowns responsible for their rudeness.

And it's not just up to the theaters, it's up to everyone. I remember when I was a kid, if you did something wrong it didn't take your mother or father being there to correct you, some adult would say something and that was usually enough to get you to stop acting like a jerk.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
For the person who thinks it's just easier to avoid the job position because it involves pratically having a pager surgically implanted on you is being very unrealistic. Anyone with a decent paying position in the information technology field knows what I'm talking about.
Unrealistic? Hardly! I've had a couple of high paying IT jobs with very large companies, my view is not unrealistic because the main point is everyone CHOSE to take the job. If the demands of the jobs become too much for you GET ANOTHER JOB.

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick, (Patrick Sun, not Patrick_S) believe it. It is people like us that keep critical systems (some that you might rely on whether you know it or not) working. Like Walter, I too have been carrying a pager for the last 12-13 years, for a couple of different jobs, and I too took the job before I took the pager. I'm not on call all the time, but we do have a chain of backup and primary people. If for some reason the primary person doesn't respond to their page, I either have to light a fire under the ass of the person that didn't respond, or take care of it myself. Because of this, I need to monitor my pager at all times. When I'm on vacation the pager goes on a shelf. It's a lifestyle that I've grown used to. What I can't get used to are the rude people in this world who think of no one but themselves, and the indifferent people who do nothing. As John said when most of us were kids, if we did something wrong it only took an adult not our parents to set us straight. We've lost that in our society now. Most people today have a blatent disrepect for authority until they get hit in their pocketbook or even worse. Even if we block the signals, you still have to put up with the talkers, the babies, etc... If people learn to respect one another, you wouldn't have any problems at all. And Patrick_S, no one said that the responsibilities of the job were more than we could bear. I'm more than comfortable wearing my pager. What I'm not comfortable with are people who want to keep me from enjoying a night of entertainment because I work in an IT enviornment.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
My obtuse reasoning did acknowledge the reduction in odds of the disturbances. Sorry that's not sufficient for you. Regardless of the effectiveness of partial solutions, my primary concern is a "solution" that throws the baby out with the bathwater.

( BTW, I really love how casually the concept of "GET ANOTHER JOB" is thrown around in this thread. Nice.)

I've stated my opinion and have no desire to bicker with anyone on this forum, and with that I take my leave of this thread.

- Walter.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
All anyone is suggesting is that one inconvience be added to people who are "on call" as part of their occupation in order to serve the greater good.
We all have our double standards. Let's just pile another one on while we're at it. Can't inconvenience the precious movie-goer for a few seconds. No, let's inconvenience the responsible people who rely on pagers. :rolleyes
I hope that an admin....no, Ronald Epstein or Parker Clack himself closes this thread. I don't want to bicker and argue anymore with my fellow HTFer's that I expect a lot more from. I'm leaving this thread.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
One thing is for certain this topic always stirs up a passionate debate. It’s obvious that both sides with righteous indignation believe that the other is selfish.
You're right, these people (doctors, emergency workers, etc.) aren't on call 24/7/365. That's because they're actually working at their offices/buildings the other 20/6/350.
You know Dome the facts just don't support your statement. There are very few, in fact a very small minority, of health care workers who are either working or on call every day of the year.

At this point the debate does seem rather pointless, as no one's viewpoint will change.

I just cannot image what the reaction will be when passive and probably active jamming does become more common.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
IBTL! :)
STILL nobody (who is anti-jamming) has addressed this fundamental position here:
You do NOT have a fundamental right to EXPECT a signal at EVERY SINGLE PLACE you put your phone in this world, in this country, or state, or city, or building, or structure!
SOME public structures are ALREADY designed in such a way that they (either intentionally or as a side-effect) limit signals...THESE ARE NOT ILLEGAL NOR UNETHICAL OR IMMORAL
, they simply ARE the way they are, and so people just DEAL with it.
If a theatre chain decided to PASSIVELY shield a room or their entire frickin' chain of theatres, not only it is their right, they don't even HAVE to TELL you! You'd find out by looking at your phone and seeing there's no service. It's not illegal for them to do such a thing, it is not unethical to do such a thing, nor is it immoral or even rude in any way, shape, or form, just as it is not illegal/unethical/immoral/rude/what-have-you for a restaurant/lounge to build its business underground under 5 feet of concrete and steel (that just so happens to block, among LOTS of other things, cell phone frequencies)! You DEAL with those situations then by not going there when it's crucial you be notified, so you DEAL with theatres who've built similar such PASSIVE SHIELDING by not going to those places.
It becomes, then, an instrument of the marketplace to determine which model is more successful -- those theatres who have shields or those who don't. And that's the way it should work -- free market principles.
My 4c BTL.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Many of the objectors to the cell phone blocking are assuming ALL theaters will have this blocking technology in place, I just don't see that happening.

Vote with your feet, go to theaters that are block-free, and enjoy the numerous interruptions from all of the above (cell phones, babies, teenagers, etc) while you try to concentrate on a film. The rest of us will be content to deal with the babies and teenagers.

I work in the IT field myself, and I guess lucky for me, there is a rotational schedule in place that tethers me to the pager once very 5 weeks. I don't go to the theaters when I'm on call, I stay close to home, watch the TV, a DVD, whatever. That's only 10 weeks out of the year, but I feel the pain of the 24/7/365ers, but still, you chose the job, and that's part of the price you pay for accepting that assignment. Life isn't fair.

Just because many of us theater-goers want some relief from inconsiderate cell phone rings and pager beeps, it doesn't mean we are evil, uncaring people. But it comes down to numbers, and for every one person who's a 24/7/365 person, there's probably 100 people who are not on call and don't need to be bothered at the movies for that 2 hour stretch of time immediately. If you're a theater owner, it makes sense to cheese off that one person over 100 people. You can't make everyone happy all the time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, Patrick. I certainly wouldn't expect all theaters to jam signals. If you go with the active jamming view, I wouldn't even expect all showtimes to feature cellphone/pager jamming. If you go with the passive jamming view, then I would expect a mix in construction designs.
We all have our double standards. Let's just pile another one on while we're at it. Can't inconvenience the precious movie-goer for a few seconds. No, let's inconvenience the responsible people who rely on pagers. :rolleyes:
The difference between the two, is that the former is 100% of the people in the theater. The latter is probably 1 or 2% of the people in the theater. So it makes sense to inconvience the smaller number of people. Still, I wouldn't expect or want all theaters (or even the majority) to feature signal jamming. Those on call would seek out the theaters which allow cellphone signals. Those of us who want the increased odds of a decent moviegoing experience will see out theaters that do. Dome, you keep taking things as black and white, when there is a grey area.

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick (both of you.), I think you are all missing the point. I don't think anyone here assummed that this signal blocking idea would be implemented in every theater. I think people are more concerned with the actions of a handfull of inconsiderate people affecting the considerate people. (As always, a bad apple spoils the bunch.) People need to be taught how to use the technology they have in a considerate manner instead of having it done for them. And Patrick Sun, why are you assuming that us on call people do not like our jobs? This may have been the case for you, but you can't put everyone else in that same mold with your statement of
GET ANOTHER JOB
. That to me doesn't show much understanding at all. Like a couple of other forum memebers though, I'm done will the whole topic and I'm also taking my leave of this thread.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
And Patrick Sun, why are you assuming that us on call people do not like our jobs? This may have been the case for you, but you can't put everyone else in that same mold with your statement of

GET ANOTHER JOB

. That to me doesn't show much understanding at all.
First of all Derrick I have been the one saying, “Get another job”.

By the way, I loved my IT jobs where I was on call; the only reason I moved on was for a job that pays better. Would I ever take another job that requires me to be on call? You bet if the situation was to my liking.

I fully know what it is like to be on call and that is why I have no sympathy for those who are on call. I didn’t feel sorry for myself when I was on call or when I had a job that required me to work every major holiday because I went into the jobs understanding the requirements. So why should I have sympathy for others who also accepted their jobs willingly.

Really what it comes down to is “you can’t have your cake and eat it too.” Those who understand the ideal behind that statement can accept the sacrifices of being on call and those who don’t simply want to have their cake and eat away.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Can anyone tell me HOW to tech the MASSES the respect for other Moviegoers????

Are you serious????

Seems by reading this thread that the large number of you guys always set your cell or pager to vibrate.... Well, if that were the case, then this would not be an issue....

I am sick and tired of the.... "Oh,.. We need to teach them how to use the cell phone and show respect!"

BULLSHIT!

Why all of a sudden is it the responsibility of the industry to "teach" respect starts here classes????

Everyone here goes into locations DAILY that prevent reception to their phone. Do you go and bitch and gripe to the owners of those locations because you don't have reception?

Bottomline is that this has become the #1 complaint. THE #1 COMPLAINT.... It is easier to eliminate the signals than to seekout and disturb patrons (which IS what happens when an usher has to come in an argue with a patron using a cell phone).

Chris

P.S. - I am 24/7/365... I turn my phone OFF when I am in a theatre. I can always listen to voicemail when I ;leave.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yes, but I get paged more than called, and use the cell to return pages. By having it on silent or vibrate I have a log of who paged me during the movie. And, as I said before, if I think it may be important enough, then I step outside and make the call.

I think most places that I don't get cell service I do get pager service. Also, I think the vast majority of the no-service zones are not intentional, but a result of distance from the cell towers combined with construction techniques.

I just am tired of everytime something comes up in our society that people are doing wrong, the knee-jerk reaction is to invoke laws or policies that inconvenience the considerate just to get at the rude. It's time to make each individual accountable for their actions. And not just the theaters, but all other patrons should chime in when someone does anything not appropriate for the theater environment. And as to hitting them in the wallet, the theaters can make public a policy that if anyone complains because someone's cell or pager goes off, the offender will be ejected with no refund. After having this actually happen to themselves, their behavior should start to change or they'll just stop going to movies.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm...
at one time i was responsible for creating a brand new call-center from scratch. i bought the technology, hired and trained the employees, the whole kit 'n' kaboodle.
do you think my pager was pretty active during that time? absolutely!
did i still try to go see a movie if i could? absolutely.
was i polite and courteous to my fellow movie-goers? of course.
if i was in the same boat now, and i discovered some theater was blocking my pager, i would be pissed. i'd probably tell them to fly a kite. who says, just because i'm in what we are (in this case) calling a "minority" (on-call people) that i don't have the right to enjoy the same privileges as others?
just because i took on a job that required a pager doesn't mean i don't like my job. or, if that pager was suddenly "inflicted" upon me...i very seriously doubt that i or any of you folks would quit your job or change your lifestyle! :eek: c'mon...be real. i would hope you would simply compensate for your new situation...no one would expect you to make a life-style change.
heck...having a work pager can be kind of cool...at least your friends/family can chase you down now. okay...maybe that's not such a great thing. :)
all i'm saying is that you cannot punish a minority just because they're in a minority.
now where'd i put that darn flame suit...? :D

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
during that period said:
Agreed. There are some theaters in my local area that have never upgraded to stereo, let alone digital. Yet, the new theater chains come in full digital sound, stadium seating, etc. Yet people still go to the monaural theaters. Why? They obviously don't care. And if the customer doesn't care, why should the theater care to upgrade to a better sound system? The same thing goes for cell phones/pagers. Theaters will will (and should) implement blocking, but not all of them will. Do you absolutely NEED to be available? Go to a theater that's not blocked.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Do people sleep with their pagers on their person when they are on call? I'm a deep sleeper, I doubt the ringer from a cell phone or beep from a pager would wake me in the middle of the night. I know I would go nuts (on edge dreading the call, or missing the call) being in a 24/7/365 oncall job if I knew I had to be within tether range of the hardware ALL THE TIME.

What happens if the batteries run down at the wrong time (when your boss or notification system is trying to reach you?) Cell phones and pagers are not guarenteed to work everywhere.

Too bad theaters can't afford to do with major golf tournaments do: make people check their cell phones into the cell phone check-in tent (like a coat check). They don't want the possibility of cell phones going off when a pro golfer is in the middle of a backswing trying to make a million dollar putt.

And believe me, if someone's cell phone does go off in a golf tournament, that person is summarily booted off the golf course by the course marshalls.

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
I said I was going to stay out of this thread, but I'm going to answer Patrick's questions.

What happens if the batteries run down at the wrong time (when your boss or notification system is trying to reach you?)
I don't know about everyone else, but my pager is a Motorola two way pager that actually has a battery gauge on it. It's my responsibility to change the battery before it dies. My management does not see dead batteries as a valid excuse.

Ross Waite

Stunt Coordinator
I find myself speechless at some of the comments I have read on this thread...unbelievable.
Let me get this straight...
Some of you are actually advocating the idea that 24/7/365 professionals should find new jobs because someone is whining about a vibrating pager in a movie theater!? :confused:
Hey, I dislike the rudeness in today's theaters as much as anyone. However, if I see someone (including myself) politely excuse themselves because of a page, I am thankfull that the technology exists that allows them to enjoy the occasional movie and tend to their professional emergencies as well.
Pagers to these professionals are not viewed as an inconvenience of the job...they are an essential tool that allows them to enjoy many of the activities that everyone else does.
I, as well, excuse myself from this thread.:frowning:
-Ross

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks