What's new

I am a full-fledged XM Radio addict! This is my story! (1 Viewer)

Devin U

Second Unit
so, if read it right, the Delphi reciever can be used in two cars if you have two car kits? I may do that. How about playboy channel? I see they offer it as a premium channel? whats the programming like?

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
How about playboy channel? I see they offer it as a premium channel? whats the programming like
With NO NUDITY....it can't be worth the extra $$$...
Now on DIRECTV - it's definitely worth it...
:D
Been wanting to try XM - maybe I will purchase a setup with my tax refund later this year....
Thanks for the info on your experiences Ron....:emoji_thumbsup:

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Unless I missed it I did not see NPR on the list of channels. I was under the impression that NPR was available. Also can anyone tell me how the audio quality is through the cassette tape adaptor?

MatS

Screenwriter
so, if read it right, the Delphi reciever can be used in two cars if you have two car kits?
correct Devin...you only need one SkyFi reciever and only one subscription but you can transport the receiver back and forth between as many cars as you have set up with a car kit or into your home with the home kit or on the go with the boombox

Chad Sunderland

Stunt Coordinator
Great post! I've been very close to pulling the trigger on XM...but just can't go through with it. I'm a big car audio guy, and I also have 2 vehicles. I have both of my vehicles fitted with the Alpine 7894 that Ron chose (excellent choice BTW). I also listen to a lot of music at home.

My biggest problem with XM is that I have to buy a separate subscription for both vehicles, and my home! I don't mind buying the extra equipment for each vehicle and the house, but you shouldn't have to buy more subscriptions. I know I could get one of the removable units, but that just isn't convenient, and I don't want the bother.

Satellite radio needs to take some tips from the satellite TV industry. I have Dish Network, and have 3 recievers...and I don't have to have 3 subscriptions! I do have to pay $5 per month for each extra reciever, which is about 10% of my bill. If XM would do something like that, I think it would draw a lot more people in...I wouldn't mind paying an extra $1 per reciever, which is 10%, I wouldn't pay anymore than that though.

Also, if XM would take another tip from the TV industry and offer something like "get a free antennae with a 1-year subscription", I think it would be much more succesful.

I really want XM, but being forced into extra subscriptions to enjoy it in more than one area, and fear of them going out of business shortly after spending money on the equipment keeps me from getting it.

Chad

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I've been very, very curious about this since the day it was introduced. Does anyone know how the whole bankruptcy ordeal will turn out? I mean, if they're going completely "belly up", I couldn't imagine getting this equipment hard-wired into my vehicle. Has anyone looked into this at all? Seems like that may be an issue for a lot of people.

Otherwise, I don't think I'd mind spending the $10/mo. (or the initial investment for the equipment for that matter)

Scott.

MatS

Screenwriter
Does anyone know how the whole bankruptcy ordeal will turn out? I mean, if they're going completely "belly up", I couldn't imagine getting this equipment hard-wired into my vehicle. Has anyone looked into this at all? Seems like that may be an issue for a lot of people.
XM Reaches 360,000 Subscribers; Expects to Exceed One Million Subscribers During 2003
Wednesday January 8, 3:15 pm ET
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- XM Satellite Radio announced today it has signed up more than 360,000 subscribers, extending its market leadership in digital satellite radio.
"XM had an outstanding fourth quarter, adding 145,000 subscribers, a 72 percent increase in subscribers over our cumulative total at the end of the third quarter and more than five times as many subscribers as we signed-up in the fourth quarter of 2001," said XM President and CEO Hugh Panero. "XM's accelerating subscriber growth has been fueled by 'the second launch of XM' in new vehicles from General Motors and other automakers, and by our 'third launch' into the home and portable markets with our next-generation SKYFi receivers, including XM's first portable radio."
"XM expects a very strong 2003, with new subscribers approximately triple those obtained in 2002", Panero continued. "By year-end 2003, XM will have crossed the one million subscriber mark and be firmly established as a mass- market product."
XM ended 2002 with more than 347,000 subscribers. The Company had thousands of additional radios sold at retail but not yet activated by year- end -- demonstrating the attractiveness of XM as a Holiday gift. The first XM "boomboxes" reached retail shelves very late in the quarter and sold out almost immediately, indicating a significant near-term market for this breakthrough product -- the first XM receiver requiring no installation and able to be utilized in the home or "on the go" without any adapter devices.
In 2002, the Delphi SKYFi, XM's plug-and-play radio incorporating the most advanced user features of any satellite radio on the market today, proved to be a "hot" Christmas gift. Compact and attractive, the complete SKYFi system costs less than $200. SKYFi can be set-up in the car, home, office, or virtually anywhere a subscriber chooses to enjoy XM's 101 channels of revolutionary programming.
XM's new portable satellite radio, the Delphi SKYFi Audio System, is expected to be a strong seller during 2003. "This boombox extends XM Radio's merchandising beyond retailers' car stereo sections to their portable audio and HiFi departments; it also should broaden XM's appeal to younger audiences," Panero said.
On the OEM side, GM and other automakers like Honda and Nissan will expand their XM-equipped vehicle offerings. General Motors currently provides factory-installed XM radios in 25 lines of cars, light trucks and SUVs, including household names such as Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile and Pontiac, and plans to eventually expand XM availability across its entire product line.
In the funding area, XM announced in late December a set of definitive financing agreements totaling $450 million -- consisting of $200 million in new funds from strategic and financial investors and $250 million in payment deferrals and related credit and payment facilities from General Motors. In addition, XM commenced an Exchange Offer for its outstanding 14 percent Senior Secured Notes. With the new funds and payment deferrals from these transactions, XM expects to achieve full funding through cash-flow breakeven. XM anticipates all necessary conditions and approvals related to these financings will be satisfied by the end of February 2003.
XM (Nasdaq: XMSR - News) is transforming radio, an industry that has seen little technological change since FM, almost 40 years ago. XM's programming lineup features 101 coast-to-coast digital channels: 70 music channels, many of them commercial-free, from hip hop to opera, classical to country, bluegrass to blues; and 31 channels of sports, talk, children's and entertainment. XM's strategic investors include America's leading car, radio and satellite TV companies -- General Motors, American Honda Motor Co. Inc., Clear Channel Communications and DIRECTV.
XM radios are available at major electronics retailers nationwide. Leading manufacturers such as Sony, Alpine, Pioneer, Audiovox and Delphi offer a broad array of XM radios that easily enable any existing car stereo system. For more information, please visit XM's web site: http://www.xmradio.com .
Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements in this press release include demand for the company's service, the company's dependence on third party vendors, its continuing need for additional financing, as well as other risks described in XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc.'s Form 8-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on 12-24-2002. Copies of the filing are available upon request from XM Radio's Investor Relations Department.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I've been thinking of XM Radio more and more lately. I wouldn't worry about their currency financials. With the number of new cars coming out of GM with XM-Ready stereos installed and as the word-of-mouth gets around, XM is going to get REAL popular.

I predict 2003 is going to be a big year for XM. The Delphi unit is the first one that I have considered using. I love the fact that you can use it in your home and in your car.

MatS

Screenwriter
Toyota now on board>>>

Press Release Source: XM Satellite Radio, Inc.

Update: Toyota to Offer XM Radio in New Youth-Oriented Scion
Thursday January 9, 1:26 pm ET
Vehicles Featuring Pioneer XM Radios Hit Dealer Showrooms in June

WASHINGTON, Jan. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- XM Satellite Radio, the nation's leading satellite radio service, will be offered as a feature on Toyota's new youth-oriented Scion brand vehicles, which will begin arriving at U.S. showrooms in June, Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. and Pioneer Corporation announced.

Scion, a new line of vehicles, will carry an MSRP less than $16,000 and will be marketed through participating Toyota dealers. The first vehicles will be available in the Western United States in June 2003 with a national rollout completed by June 2004. The two highly anticipated Scion vehicles, the xA and xB, will lead with Pioneer XM Satellite Radio capability.

"We're excited that Toyota has decided to lead with XM in its youth- oriented Scion," said Dan Murphy, XM's Vice President of OEM and Retail Distribution. "Pioneer has been a key XM Radio manufacturing partner and the Scion will feature another great Pioneer product."

"The optional Pioneer XM receiver with 100 channels of coast-to-coast digital sound quality is the perfect add on to the Scion Sound Processing system," said Russ Johnston, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Strategic Planning for Pioneer Automotive Electronics, Inc. "XM offers a tremendous variety of programming, with some specifically geared for today's youth market. XM Original Channels such as 'Boneyard,' 'Ethel,' 'XMU,' 'Squizz,' 'The Move' and 'XM Liquid Metal' reflect the personalities and lifestyle of the potential Scion customer."

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
The reason why XM does not offer a discount on a second unit is that they have no guarentee that the person is part of the household. If you live in MA and your freind is in CA you can lie and share the cost savings. Also I guess their philosophy is that it is a small enough of a subscription that you really do not need a discount too.

It would be nice. My wife is looking at the Delphi with the modulator and boom box. With the modulator you have to buy the car kit as well. So its about $450 installed for all of that stuff. But the Delphi is very flexible so it just might be worth the money.

MatS

Screenwriter
SKYFi(TM) Audio System Named Best of CES Finalist
Monday January 13, 11:30 am ET
Delphi Portable XM Satellite Radio Honored at 2003 International Consumer Electronics Show

DETROIT, and WASHINGTON, Jan. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Delphi Product & Service Solutions, part of Delphi Corporation (NYSE: DPH - News), and XM Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: XMSR - News) announced today that the new SKYFi(TM) Audio System was named a finalist for the Best of CES award for 2003 in the portable audio category.

The SKYFi Audio System, a self-contained "boom box," provides the flexibility to take XM anywhere a subscriber could enjoy XM's 101 channels of revolutionary programming. Delphi, a pioneer of in-vehicle entertainment and electronics, and XM, America's leading satellite radio service, recently teamed to offer the Delphi XM SKYFi (TM) Radio receiver, an attractive, compact unit that provides the most advanced user features of any satellite radio on the market today.

The SKYFi Audio System with the SKYFi receiver retails for $229.99 (MSRP). The System contains a pair of high-quality speakers with an integrated high gain antenna and a port for the SKYFi receiver. It can be powered by an A/C adaptor to create a high quality countertop/ bookshelf XM system for the home or office, or used with six "D" batteries to experience XM in virtually any location. XM listeners who already own the SKYFi receiver can purchase the boom box portion alone for $99.99 (MSRP).

The SKYFi receiver, an affordable next-generation XM radio, offers the most advanced user features of any satellite radio on the market today, and all the features XM fans have been demanding most: portability, a large display, direct channel entry, the ability to preview and search XM channels by artists and song titles, and 20 channel presets. The compact receiver, along with vehicle and home accessory kits, arrived at major retail outlets in October.

XM won "Best of CES" in the automotive category in 2001.

Brad Wood

Stunt Coordinator
Ok...the rant begins

I don't dispute the quality of XM. I heard it a the auto-show in New Orleans last year around this time and it was great. My issue however, is that no one has mentioned why we have to resort to pay services to get what we want. Since radio deregulation, OTA radio has become more and more homogenous (IE; Sucky) and there are virtually no FM stations out there that are breaking new music.

I don't want to sound like one of those old farts who says it was so much better in the old days, but I don't want to pay $10 a month for radio, and I shouldn't have to. Also, the low power FM station bill was defeated a couple years ago. Without community radio, the only way to find any kind of unique music is to go on the web. In addition, the only way to really make that work is to spend $50 a month on a DSL line and even that's in danger of being legislated out of existence for record company greed! I know there is no going back to the old way, I doubt Clear Channel would submit to a court order that it give up it's monopoly on the country's radio stations, but is anyone else out there a little leary of the fact that music and information that used to be free, is now a pay service?

I hate to sound like chicken little, but if we continue to base access to the arts on how much money a person has, the arts will die. When that happens, our hobby will be moot because the quality of our systems will far surpass the quality of the content.

(Stepping into the Flame Retardant Suit)

Brad Woodhouse
Edina, MN

MatS

Screenwriter
I don't disagree with your displeasure and I would assume you are a cable tv subscriber.
Sorry but radio is no longer about the 'public interest'

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brad,

Best response I can give is that you get what
you pay for.

I switched to XM radio because I was just sickened
by commercial radio.

I have no problem paying $10 a month for what
XM offers. When in my car, I listen to nothing
else despite the fact I have 1500 audio CDs at
my disposal.

The music is programmed to suit my tastes. What
I cannot enjoy at the moment on one channel can
easily be remedied by selecting over a dozen others.

Brad Wood

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
I don't disagree with you. I too am sickened by the current state of FM radio. I have the means to pay for XM and I probably will get it at some point. I was just bringing up a concern (that is probably for another area or website) that we are becoming a nation that only offers quality information access to those who can pay.

The reason I enjoy this hobby and the reason I became an audio engineer is because of music and art. When we limit access to these venues, we're compromising the future of art. Just something to think about. Maybe it's a topic for an HTF after school special.

Brad Woodhouse

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
There IS the family plan, at least the last time I checked and heard it offered, which means the second+ units are 6.99 and not the 10$ a month.

I picked up a Pioneer unit/tuner last August before I had a road trip to take for a day from Boston to Baltimore. I basically put it on the 80's channel when I started and seven hours later, I still had not heard ONE SONG or ONE ARTIST duplicated.

Pure heaven.

I have totally dropped FM radio in all its ugliness. The times I'm in my wifes van, I hate listening to it. I hate not having the selection.

The beauty of XM is, especially if you're willing to try new things, is there's so much to explore. I didn't get off the 80's channel until 2 months after I bought it. Then I started getting into more channels, such as some of the dance ones, contemporary jazz, top 20 on 20, getting into some 70's music. During the Iraq invasion, the BBC was a constant friend and excellent source. I also ponied up for the Playboy piece, which has provided great amusement.

XM was the best purchase since getting into DVD. I do an hour a day each way to work in my car, so getting out of the crappy talk radio in the morning and the endless daily repeats of the same thing in the afternoon was a godsend.

I cannot recommend it enough.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if XM carries a station that carries Howard Stern in the morning?

Thanks!

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
The other day we were driving through some hard storms and my wife made me flip on the FM to catch weather. I thought I was going to go insane :D
Idon't think they play Stern, but they have a whole channel of shock jocks so you might find something you like...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks