What's new

Hysterical Blindness on HBO (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I had a chance to catch this on HBO this evening in Hi Def. It kind of reminded me of a film I like quite a bit "Trees Lounge" with Steve Buscemi, well maybe an 80's Female version of it. Uma Thurman and Juliette Lewis were very good playing the Leads. Thurman Especially throws herself into the role. I like the Ending of "Trees" a bit better when the Buscemi Character finally realizes his fate, but all in all it's another decent HBO Original Picture. Worth Catching.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My favorite scenes were with Ben Gazzara and Gena Rowlands, who had the easy familiarity that comes of the many years they've known each other (and worked together). The scene between Thurman and Gazzara in the bar was also very moving.

M.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yes Both Gazzara and Rowlends were very good. I remember Gazarra playing the father in Buffalo 66 what a role he had in there.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Good movie ... great performances. Although I feel that Juliette Lewis' role was pretty much filler, she was good.

Great 80's feel and soundtrack as well. Uma was almost unrecognizeable as Debbie ... she played the hell out of the role.

The only main problem I had was the ending ... a little too "uplifting" for this movie.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I agree with the ending. At the End of Tree Lounge the character learned something about himself. He finally came to terms with this realization. The carachter grew in a negative way, but it was a realization. The ending of Blindness seemed that the writers did'nt really now where they wanted to take this character. Would she continue her ways, would she try to change her life. What impact did her friend decision affect her. It seemed that the Lewis character was going to try to "Grow Up" and take care of her daughter, but then she's talking about Beer Parties at the end. I guess we're left Status Quo.

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
What other movies were Ben and Gena in together? The role I remember her most from was Gloria.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
They made at least one Cassavetes film together, as well as a number of TV movies.

M.

Hugh Scrivener

Stunt Coordinator
When Uma walked up to the bartender after being rejected by "the guy" and asked "What's wrong with me?" my heart ripped in two. That kind of honesty and self-realization scares me. But as you pointed out, the film left the potential un-realized....we don't know what happens next. I believe the film showed exactly what will happen...in the character played by Rowland's. They just keep plugging away at life, working jobs, squirreling away, until one day someone comes along (Gazara)and reminds you of you worth, something most people forget, and you actually do something(buy furniture) for yourself that is truly for you. And then...you just keep living

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks