Hybrid Stones and Police discs REPLACED by CD only in the UK....

Discussion in 'Music' started by Justin Lane, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Just read about these new releases here on the Steve Hoffman forum.

Looks like the earlier Hybrid releases over in the UK are being replaced by single layer redbook discs using the DSD mastered CD layer, neglecting the Hi-res layer in new releases.

Does this mean stealth marketing has been a failure, and labels are beginning to abandon Hybrids as the extra cost of the SACD layer is not being realized in extra sales? The Sony cash cow could also be running dry, which in a shaky economy shows certain labels are not willing to lose money without being subsidized.

[​IMG] On this new SACD marketing technique. Hopefully the labels and superstar artists do not see this as a negative case study for further supporting Hi-res. Better pick up those Hybrids while you can, especially if you live in Europe, as they may quickly become collector's items or tough to find in the coming months.

J

2. Michael St. Clair

The logical conclusion is that the Sony subsidies for these titles ran out, and the record execs are smart enough to realize that 99%+ of the buyers are only buying for the redbook layer.

3. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Perhaps it's due to all the cracking hybrids???

4. Justin Lane

5. Justin Lane

6. Michael St. Clair

Since UK hybrids have been more reliable, I doubt it's a cracking issue.

There is the possibility that worse-than-typical compatibility with DVD-ROM drives and DVD players is a motivating factor, but I suspect (like Steve Hoffman) that the manufacturing cost is key.

7. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Is there any reason not to believe that this poster (Mr. Lane) is wanting to see the failure of SACD for his much favored DVD-A? It seems to be true.

8. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

9. Tomoko Noguchi

Yes, it matters considering the person who posted it and the feeling of his words.[​IMG] I thought we had gotten beyond this fight and come to the conclusion that both DVD-A and SACD are both good to have.

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] Just wait till Lee gets here!!!!

11. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I think this thread's contents speak for themselves.

13. Michael St. Clair

14. Tomoko Noguchi

As the days of higher costs of hybrids goes down, so to will the price of discs and more people will want them.

How's that for a logical argument, Michael?

15. Justin Lane

16. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

The current issue of Stereophile has a letter to the editor taking a satirical look at the marketing plans of BOTH formats.

Short story: The DVD-A camp developed the SACD marketing strategy, and the SACD camp did the same for DVD-A.

I found it very funny, and while it is obviously in jest, it wouldn't be quite as funny if it were not so accurate in terms of how both formats have been brought to market.

And BTW, there was absolutely nothing biased about Justin's original post. He is simply making a statement of fact, and to me, he is bemoaning the apparent lack of support for SACD that this move exemplifies.

And if our #1 SACD cheerleader (Hi Lee!) finds nothing to complain about, I have to wonder Tomoko, Where's the Beef?

BGL

17. Justin Lane

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have been doing some research on this and here is what I found:

1. The hybrid digipaks were only for an initial run in Europe. Once the inventory ran out, perhaps due to capacity issues, they were going to go to CDs.

2. This was announced by both ABKCO and Sony.

So in my mind, this appears to be a one-off event and not some overall trend against hybrids or Super Audio releases.

I think it is important to keep in mind that they sold some 1 million albums and counting across 22 titles. That's quite a bit of discs and likely ABKCO decided to save some money on the next round by doing redbook. I suspect that the price differential is coming down quickly between SACD and redbook replication.

19. Michael St. Clair

In all honestly, single-inventory, at this point, probably makes little sense. Why reduce your profit margin when most of your buyers are buying for the CD layer?

Lee,

What about the Police? Same deal with A&M as with ABKCO? Does that make it a 'two-off' event?

I'm going to have to buy a few more Stones discs soon. I assume the US discs will suffer the same fate?

20. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor