What's new

Hurt myself and damage my Legend case removing the security tag (1 Viewer)

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Urggggggg.... they must have put those in during manufactoring of the case. The case being transparent and the security tage being black, I couldn't stand it so I slipped my index finger in and tried to ply it out. I succceeded eventually but my nail was in pain and the case is popped open with lots of scatches from using the nail clipper. Those of you who have this or Sex in the City 3rd season knows what I'm talking about.

I also did the same thing to Sex in the City.

I got really upset and frustrated and that's why the damage to the case. If I sat down and think a bit how best to get it out, I probably would have succeeded with no damage but heck, I told myself why the heck do I have to deal with this crap, spenting time trying how best to remove that ugly black tag from a clear transparent case!

I'm an anger customer. I know I know, some of you might say that it's just anal stupidity? But how do you like it if you buy a car with the sale tag that's either you leave on, spent much time removing it safety, or removing it quickly with scatches or other damages?

Sorry, just had to vent....

Tony Scello

Second Unit
In the case of Legend, I'd sue Universal Studios for pain and suffering(and a new DVD package);). Seriously, It also bothers me to see those ugly security tags that are difficult or impossible to remove. I've seen some DVD packages come with a blank,white piece of paper with a security tag stuck on it that can simply be thrown away. I wish more DVD packages had the thown away piece of paper.

GaryEA

Second Unit
You'd think that by now any studio that is going to use a security tag/sticker that is going to be placed under a clear surface would design the package, or the art to carry the tag in more discrete place.
Not right beneath the text or on top of the art, but to the side.
:angry: :thumbsdown:
-g

Al_S

Second Unit
This is the one thing that bothers me about DVDs. I know they need to have some form of security but this just makes me mad. I even had one DVD where the tag came off and got stuck to the DVD itself. I don't know how many times I set off the alarm at Sam Goody and then the employees just wave me on through. This whole situation is just plain stupid.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
I was shopping in Wal-Mart a few days back and saw a Harry Potter 2-Disc Set without its wrapping in the automotive section. Of course the two discs were gone. So much for the security tag.

One thing I liked about the set I *paid for* at Blockbuster was the fact it was only stretch wrapped and didn't have the three security seals on the top, bottom and side.

I'm sure the shoplifter at Wal-Mart liked that too.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
My nail on my index finger still hurt after that incident 3 days ago.
I don't understand why that security tag had to be inside the transparent case where you pretty much had to tear it open to get it out or get hurt slipping your finger in there like I did. That still tears it open because of my chumby finger and other tools I tried just scratched it.
Why couldn't they just stick it on top like they do with other dics? Sure it's easier for thief to remove but 99% or more of disc out there are like that anyway.
Let's see, you got security stickers on all three sides, a magnetic tag inside, a wraping on top, sensor at the door...what the heck, if that's not enough security, they need to take other measures. These tactics are just upsetting consumers! And some of us are getting hurt or damge product from it :D.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm still amazed that so many people fret so much about these tags. i didn't even know my legend dvd had one until i read this thread.
whats's worse or better. a damaged case from digging in there or the tag that is really not that noticable. how often does anyone sit there looking at the case anyway. you open the case pull out the dvd put it in the player and watch the movie. what is anyone doing staring at the case long enough to be annoyed at the tag?
:confused:

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I received Starship Troopers today and it didn't have one security sticker (let alone three). There is a black security tag inside under the middle clear plastic but the box background is very dark so it's not too obnoxious.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I am investing in a bottle of heavy-grade rubber cement. My intention is this: on the digipaks like these that have the tag inside and hard-to-miss (Legend was obvious inside and out! :frowning: ), I will remove the digipak panel, clear off the security tag, and use the rubber cement to reapply the panel, and let dry overnight.
I'll get the bottle, and then try this on something I don't love too much and won't mind moving into a keepcase if it fails. I'll let you all know how it goes!
PS - got the Legend tag out without damage to myself OR the case.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
I went through the same thing. I just used my fingernail. Took me forever, and hurt like hell, but finally got it off fairly clean.

I hate those damn tags. Just put them on the disc tray so that we can pull them off cleanly, will you?

Jonathan_

Second Unit
I got the tag off with a steak knife. I pulled the top of the case back just enough so I could fit the knife blade down to the tag. I then used the tip of the knife to slowly pull the tag off the plastic. Took about 10 minutes, but you can't tell there was ever a tag there.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
As *absolutely* greatful as I am to:

COLLEEN BENN of UNIVERSAL,
RIDLEY SCOTT, and
CHARLES de LAUZIRIKA,
for all of their hard work
on the DIRECTORS CUT of LEGEND,
(im sorry, but I cannot take the Sid Sheinberg*-MTV cut of the film seriously)

...the case really does suck.
No problem.
One of our enterprising HTF'ers
created an excellent cover which I downloaded,
and now happily use instead-(I bought a GLADIATOR-style
alpha 2 disc case)
The only concession is the insert, which must be folded in half,
thought it is not an historic document, so no big deal.

My thanks again to all involved for the DC, and also to Sean Murphy, who
maintains the LEGEND FAQ.

*this is the same man who also butchered BRAZIL into the 'happy-ending' version over Terry Gilliams' objections.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I received Starship Troopers today and it didn't have one security sticker (let alone three). There is a black security tag inside under the middle clear plastic but the box background is very dark so it's not too obnoxious.
Maybe you got one of mine, because my copy didn't have a single one.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I didn't have any problem taking the security tags off of my copy of Legend. They are a bit of a pain but if something so trivial annoys you that much, you may want to take a look at yourself and take stock of how good you have it compared to others. There is a book I would suggest you read. I think it's called Don't Sweat The Small Stuff. That's just a suggestion ;).

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I used an Exacto knife on my legend. Was able to get in under the tag without any undue stress on the packaging. Came out with no problems.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Another technique that works well is to insert stamp collector's tongs into the digipack, and use to lift up and pull off the security tag. I've used this for all my digipaks and only once run into damage. Fingers are just too big to do the job.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Come on Robert, you're not being fair. Some people don't mind having load of bird shit in their cars and others do. Some people wash their cars weekly and others don't for years. I didn't say I loss sleep over this. You got to understand that after buying Sex in the City Season 3 only two days before, I was pissed to have to go through taking the tag off again so I rushed it and didn't do a good job.

The point of such thread is for people to voice their disapproval of certain things so it could be corrected and consumers could be have better product.

If everyone read that book you recommended, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuffs", which I have read among others by the same author, there will never be complain threads on this forum. Thus our products will never be improved.

Karl L

Agent
I have a new one for you. I bought a DVD-Audio disc the other day that had the tag attached to the actual liner notes. If i take it off the paper rips...dohh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks