What's new

Hurricane Frances (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Nah, not 3 in a row. Storms G and H never made landfall and are long gone.

They are not expecting Ivan to go higher than a Cat 4, and on its current track they expect it to drop to a Cat 1 if it passes over Hispanola's mountains. It's still too far out to know if it will hit Florida at all.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
quote: Why? Isn't this the first hurricane in Florida in years? Or decades?

Nope. We had Hurricane Irene in 1999 and also had Hurricane Charley 3 weeks ago.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
quote:Frances was pretty average.

Im here in Sarasota, FL. Its been extremely windy and rainy since Saturday night. Sometimes the gusts can get out right scary. I dont care if its average. It still has killed multiple people.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
quote:It still has killed multiple people.
Common sense- or more correctly, the lack of it- is the biggest killer during hurricanes. Deaths directly due to the weather, that nothing, per se, could have been done about, are exceedingly rare.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The roommate and I are going to Universal Studios today (already called, they're open)... must... get... out of house
smile.gif

The guys on the news are still saying to stay indoors for another day... fuck them
biggrin.gif

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
We're getting minor tropical storm weather here in the Tampa Bay area. The street in front of our house is flooded. The Bay has flooded over the sea wall along Bayshore Blvd. Shore Acres is flooding. A tree just missed my parents' house, maybe some minor roof damage from when it fell. We've ot two large branches in our yard from neighbor's trees.

This is just a tropical storm. We're lucky Charley didn't come through.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
We are just now feeling the outer edges of tropical storm Frances here in Atlanta with 30 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 40 mph. They are saying on the news that we could get 8+ inches of rain from this storm.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
quote:Nah, not 3 in a row. Storms G and H never made landfall and are long gone.

I think folks in the Carolinas/Virginia (for Gaston) and Cape Cod (for Hermine) would argue the non-landfall declaration.

Hermine was basically a non-event, but I think Gaston caused some significant flooding in the mid-Atlantic region.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
And all I wanted was to be able to enjoy my Labor Day weekend. Unable to do that. With any luck, I'll be able to enjoy a day next weekend. Even that's a maybe. Let's see what happens with whatsitsname. Too early to tell but we'll know come next Tuesday.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Malcolm, you're probably right. But those of us down in Florida had a much bigger distraction to keep an eye on, so I have an excuse for not paying enough attention to Gaston, which kind of skitted up the East Coast.

I should also have mentioned that storms D and E didn't do much, although Earl did cut across the Lesser Antilles. Bonnie hit Florida as a TS right before Charley tore through.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I had to go out and get a generator yesterday. I have been without power for 4 days now. Seems FPL has everyone down in the hardes hit areas first. They say it could be weeks before I get it back.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
quote:Seems FPL has everyone down in the hardest hit areas first

The Outage Coordinators at the utilities always go for the most "bang for the buck" (unless you're a politician or on the local Public Service Commission
wink.gif
). The customers in rural areas where there are spotty outages are usually the last to get service, while those in more densely populated areas with major outages get restore priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks