What's new

Hunter ceiling fan installation question? (1 Viewer)

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
I had practically every room in our house pre-wired for ceiling fans so the boxes are already in to attach the fans to. I installed a Lowes Harbor Breeze fan in our daughters room without a problem, but the Hunter fan has a different mounting scheme. You're suppose to install these four rubber isolators to the ceiling plate and then mount the plate to the ceiling. Here's where I had the problem. The manual tells you to not over tighten the two mounting screws but when I was tightening down the screws a couple of the rubber isolators cracked the drywall. Well that was obviously too tight. I rotated the plate and didn't tighten the screws as much.

My question is are you suppose to compress the rubber isolators a little then leave it at that? I was worried the screws would back out eventually if not fully tightened?

Call me an idiot but I just want to ask before I install the other five Hunter fans I have.

Thanks,
Wade

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I just put some tension on the rubber isolators- not too much. If you see the drywall pushing in, you've gone too far. It's been 2+ years since the first one went up, and I've had no issues with anything loosening up.

The rubber isolators prevent the transmission of fan motor noise into the ceiling. It's one of the reasons that Hunter fans are so much quieter than other brands.

I have a house full of Hunter fans (5), and I will never even consider another brand from this point (I previously had various other brands). I installed all five without requiring any balancing. They have no wobble to speak of, and they are dead SILENT. Beautiful.:emoji_thumbsup:

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

I gave them a call and the person pretty much told me what Todd just posted. Just tighten the screws until you feel a little resistance. I believe I have the first one too tight still. I'll go back and loosen it up a little.

Todd,

The Hunter I put up wobbles more than the cheaper Harbor Breeze fan from Lowes. It took two of those stick-on weights on the same blade to fix the wobble. I thought about returning it but now it's dead still so I'll keep it up. Hopefully the other fans wont wobble.

Thanks,
Wade

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks