What's new

Humble apartment budget theater system (1 Viewer)

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
My wife and I agreed that we'd wait to build our home theater system until we moved into our house the end of next year but when my father in law gave me a set of this speakers for free it was all I could do not to set them up immediately. After scolding said father for encouraging me to start early, the wife coincided and bought the needed devices to get a working system going. We live in a townhome, which is really a fancy word for apartment, so I don't need an enormous amount of sound, or i cant use an enormous amount of sound would be a more accurate statement. I spent about $800 on this system, minus the TV i already had.

I built the TV stand myself (without planning for a center channel as you can see) so the materials were free from work. Turns out these Morel speakers where pretty decent in their day, (MSRP was like $2500). The sub that came with them had a rattling issue so I went out and bought a Definitive Technology pro 800. His receiver was not HDMI compatible so I picked up a Denon 1913. Pretty entry level stuff. But coming from those Sony powered towers in the pics, which are just holding up the smaller and much better Morels although odd looking if you as me, the difference is astounding. I'm now running a 5.1 that puts a smile on my face at a very low cost. It's not what i want, far from it, but its several $1000 less expensive too. The itch is already growing. I fear I will need an upgrade before we get into that house.

DSC_0169_zps5356d593.jpg

DSC_0167_zps26281dee.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could buy a "center speaker mount" and use the VESA holes in the TV. The center would just be on top of the TV.I've sat my TV on the center speaker before.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speaking of which, when I can get to it, I sat my plasma on top of the SVS Ultra center during my review time. That center is wider and deeper than the plasma stand.

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
schan1269 said:
Speaking of which, when I can get to it, I sat my plasma on top of the SVS Ultra center during my review time. That center is wider and deeper than the plasma stand.
My tv is already an inch taller than I'd like. Can't take another 5 inches with the tv sitting ontop of my center. I'll have to check out that mount for sure

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
You could move the amp to the bottom shelf and place the center speaker directly under the TV. Use the remove and you won't have to crouch.

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
schan1269 said:
It looks in the picture that he sectioned that shelf in the middle...meaning the speaker can't go there...
Yup. There's a middle support to hold the weight that cannot be removed.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
AlphaPie said:
Yup. There's a middle support to hold the weight that cannot be removed.
Sure it can. He said he built it. Modify it. Use a solid shelf (the middle one) the entire length, support it underneath with a central support, and move the upper central support to either side, using two supports wide enough to accomadate a center speaker. If it can be done on structural supports for framing, it can be done on a cabinet. Both the top and middle shelf have to be stiff enough to support the load. If they aren't and there is enough room, another support can be placed underneath the shelf, along the length and perpendicular to the shelf. Screw it and glue it in place. That takes about an inch and a half additional height for each shelf. I built a set of shelves using this latter technique that have a couple hundred pounds of lead resting on, and they haven't sagged. It should support a TV. I'm not home right now where the shelves are. If you can't visualize it, I can post pictures later.

It's hard to hold back a guy with a drill.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Looking at the picture, I can see another alternative. There is no central support in the bottom section. Two offset supports on either side could be used between the middle and top shelf, and a double thickness top, clamped and glued together to allow a good set to the glue could be used for a more rigid top to support the weight of the TV. Additional stock could be put on the front and sides for edgeing, for appearance.

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
It's all put together with wood glue and trim/pin nails. It would be a pain to take apart, plus it's made of ceder so it would most likely crack heavily. Ill make a new one out of MDF I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks