What's new

Hum in sub (1 Viewer)

Andrew Tompson

Auditioning
I just moved my sub from behind the TV to behind the couch for space reasons. I ran wire up one wall, through the attic and down another wall.

Now the sub woofer humms when the amp is off. It's a sperately powered sub. It never used to hum when it was behind the TV and it doesn't hum when the amp is on.

I'm thinking that my sub speaker wire is laying across a power line in the attic and that's the source.

Any other possible causes?

Is there a way to sheild a section of the wire if I can't avoid the power lines?

The line for the sub went from less than five feet to a 50 foot line. Is this a problem?

Thanks.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Alternatively you could just run some quad-shield RG6 and get F-RCA converters (a $2 plug at Radio Shack). The key here is LOTS of shielding (it sounds like the cable you used is picking up noise). Try to avoid long parallel runs next to power cables...

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
I seal my approval of RG6Q with Patrick and Greg. It has 2 layers of foil shielding and 2 layers of braided shielding. You may also try a "cheater" adapter if the sub amp has 3-prongs to bring it to the outlet at 2-prongs to break a possible ground loop. $2 Home Depot, or Lowes. It killed the noise in my QSC sub amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks