What's new

Huge High Deff DLP w/ a computer (1 Viewer)

SciPunk

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hi all. This is my first post here.

I'm about to purchase a 56" DLP projection Samsung:
Click Here

I'm not married to this TV yet, so if anybody has any better suggestions, please let me know.

I'm very interested in using it to play computer games. I'm pretty computer savy, and I build my own PCs. I have an NVidia 7600 graphics card which I will upgrade if necessary. The Samsung TV has an HDMI input, and my graphics card (all graphics cards these days) has DVI out. I got the little DVI-HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable. (BTW: I already have a dual-monitor setup w/ a 27" HD LCD TV which has a DVI in... but it's only 1280x720... and "only" 27")

I'd hate to drop all that money on this TV just to find out that I can't connect via the DVI-HDMI input, or that I can't use all 1920 x 1080 resolution. So, will this do what I want it to do? If not, what should I be looking at?

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I'd be surprised if you can play any games at that resolution with any decent frame rates also. Unless you turn off all the effects, then maybe....

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor

If you go to the Samsung website click on Support and download the manual for that tv you'll see that on page 100 of the manual titled "Using Your TV as a Computer (PC) Display" it states "You cannot connect this TV to a PC via HDMI/DVI"

I have a Samsung DLP (purchased in 2004) and I have a home built HTPC connected via VGA. I don't play games too often but Call of Duty 2 at 1280x720 looks great with no lag and no dropped frames. I am using an NVidia 6600 card. I also have an XBOX connected via component (Y, Pb, Pr) and the picture is awesome.

SciPunk

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Thanks a million for taking the time to find that information, John.

I've been doing some research and I guess it all boils down to HDCP being enabled.

As of right now, there are HDCP enabled video cards just begining to come out on the market. Apparently HDCP has been "supported" by "Graphic Processing Units" for a while now, but it was not implemented all the way through the entire video card. I'm hopful that one day soon these compaitibility issues will be behind us... especially if they are political barrier and not technical barriers.

EdQ

Stunt Coordinator
Is HDMI the better way to connect up my PC. I currently use component outputs from my ATI card. And I can run 1920 x 1080 with everything on high. Frame rates 50 -100 depending on what game I play.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Use either components or the VGA connector. I used VGA on my HL-R hooked up to a PC and there was nothing wrong with the picture, playing games or watching a DVD.

EdQ

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have a VGA input on the Mits, just Component and HDMI. Just didn't know if i was missing anything. Thanks.

EdQ

Stunt Coordinator
I will need to buy a new cable for the PC. So if HDMI is a bit better. I will get one. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks