What's new

HTPC and Toshiba RPTV Question (1 Viewer)

Chris Cavanagh

Auditioning
Hello all, I'm new here, so bear with me on the learning curve.

I am currently researching which RPTV HDTV to buy and the forerunner seems to be the Toshiba 57H84 based on performance, looks, and size. However, I really want to setup an HTPC, and the Toshiba manual for the TV says "This TV is not intended for connection to and should not be used with a PC."

Now, is this line in the manual strictly for legal purposes so as not to advocate recording material onto ones PC or is their underlying compatability issue? I have searched high and low and can't seem to get an answer. So does anyone have personal experience with the newer Toshiba RPTV's and HTPC?

Also, is there are people doing this, what type of connection/setup are you using to get the best results, (HDMI, component/software?)

If the Toshibas don't work for this application, any other RPTV suggestions that will.

Thanks

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Most of the manufacturers give the PC warning because of the chance of screen burn-in of a static Windows desktop if it's left displaying that for consistantly long periods of time. In my experience with the ATI Radeon 8500, 9600, and 9500 Pro, the DVI to Component dongle seems to be the easiest way to setup. I use PowerStrip to customize resolutions to find what's best for my 51" Sony. I tried the straight DVI connection to my TV and could never get it to look right or as good as the Component output. I wasted many hours doing this. As far as nVidia's offering's, I have no direct experience with, but have read many good things about DVI output and their drivers being able to manipulate resolutions for TV displays, but I'm sure there are nightmares on that side too.

Chris Cavanagh

Auditioning
Wayne,

Thanks, thats makes a lot of sense regarding the screen burn-in and somewhat relieves me about my tv decision. And I was also thinking about going with an ATI based video card solution so that is good to know as well.

Chris

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Also they give this warning because some sets could be damaged by trying to connect improper and unsupported sync rates... so make sure you set your screen res tos omething the set supports before connecting!

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks