What's new

HTPC and HD and CC (1 Viewer)

Darren D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering building an HTPC, but the deciding factor will be a mighty big IF that I cannot seem to track down anything definite on.

Does anyone know if there is software that will enable an HTPC to decode closed captions on OTA HD broadcasts? FYI, I'm considering the MyHD card.

Thanks,

Darren

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Darren:

I remembered a TechTV review of 3 different HD tuner cards. The MyHD card isn't listed, though. :

I checked up on 2 of the 3 cards in the review (the other one got bad marks from the reviewers), and I couldn't find any reference online to Closed Captioning. I'd email the respective companies and ask.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Darren:

I just received a MyHD card, and there is a CC button, but I can't seem to get it to work. You might want to try the HTPC section of the AVS Forum for more info. There's a guy there (Cliff Watson) that is helping support MyHD products.

Darren D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, both of you.

Jesse, I wonder if it's possible if it's an HD standards thing...? Can you get it to work with the analog broadcasts?

I'll head on over to the AVS forums...soon as I read the TechTV articles that Brian suggested.

At this time, we only have two local HD stations, and the Dish Network has slim pickins for HD content right now. I really don't want to spring for a STB just yet, and because I have so much fun putting my own PCs together I am intrigued by the idea of building an HTPC. If the CC is a no go, then it's more incentive for me to hold on to some money for a while longer. :) But I got the buildin' itch!

Thanks again!

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I just checked MyHD's online manual over at Digital Connection and it said that the CC function is not currently working. It may be a HD standards thing, as I couldn't get it to work on my Uncle's TV (Sony Wega HS100) with HD broadcasts either, and his provider is Comcast Digital Cable.

Cliff Watson

Agent
"I just received a MyHD card, and there is a CC button, but I can't seem to get it to work. You might want to try the HTPC section of the AVS Forum for more info. There's a guy there (Cliff Watson) that is helping support MyHD products."

MIT (MyHD) is currently working on CC for the MyHD card. All DTV stations were required by the FCC to have CC working by last July.

Darren D

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. I feel better, already! All I can think of is how much I wish CC had been around when I was younger. My father put a speaker jack into our 19" B/W TV and rigged up a speaker with a long cord. I used to lay on the floor or bed using this speaker as a pillow. Most of the time I caught most of what was said, but off-screen voiceovers were impossible to understand completely.

I can appreciate 5.1 sound better than dialogue, now.

I can't wait! But I'll wait until the CC function is fully operational before I buy it.

Thanks, all!

D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks