What's new

HTIB question? (1 Viewer)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Ok, just want a HTIB for around $300.. Need some ideas to get thrown at me, have looked around and wanna see if there is anything else in this price range...

I know it's not the best but it isn't for me, so just throw me what ya' got if you know anything.

Thanks.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi chris -

300 is a pretty darn night budget. can you go higher?

my advice is to wait until you can get about 600 or so. with that you can get a decent receiver (175), a nice speaker set (350) and a dvd player (100). even that modest combination will blow away any 300 dollar htb! plus, you'll have true components and upgrade flexibility.

the problem with most htb's (especially the entry level ones) are the speakers. they're usually woefully inadequate and the subwoofer almost always sounds *horrible*.

all that aside, if you feel you must get a htb right now...check out any b&m store - they all have ones in that price range.

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
I'm sure you checked out some deals already...But if its in your budget,for a $100 more you can get a Onkyo HST660
complete package from Soundcity...Black or Silver...for $399...Free shipping on that item also...

No harm in checking it out...

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well I already own my own HT, this is just for my cousins friend who just wants something cheap.

Put it this way, the guy doesn't even have air conditioning because he doesn't want to spend the money. Hopefully I will be able to convince him to buy something a little better but if not then I just have to look at a $300 HTIB.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There really seems to be a lot of confusion over what the Basics area is all about. It's not for specific model recommendations. An HTiB-related question for the Basics area might be, "What is an HTiB?" Or, "Are discreet components a better value than an HTiB?"

But the moment someone wants recommendations about which models to purchase, he or she should post in the appropriate area. In this case, it would be A/V Sources.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Chris, I bought my Dad an Onkyo GXW 5.1 surround system which has the Sub and amp built into one unit. It has 125 watts of total power but does not have a DVD player. I have found it at various places ranging from $99.00 to $189.00 and Onkyo lists it on their website for over $300.00. The Sub is down firing and has good response for such a small unit. It is a good system and ideal for small spaces. My Dad lives in a mobile home and even with it's modest power output, it still prompts neighbors to ask him to turn it down at night. The unit comes with DD 5.1, DTS, ProLogic, and ProLogicII decoders built in and comes complete with an optical cable for hooking up a digital source (DVD Player). It also has 1 coaxial digital input and 1 analog input for adding two other devices. Almost all the reviews of this unit have been good and my Dad loves his. Add a $100.00 DVD player and you have a good little system for a dorm room, small apartment or bedroom. If your friend has an Xbox or other game console, it will work great with them also.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well, ok - what in the world is an HTiB? As long as I've been in audio and now video, this is the first I've heard this term.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Alan,

shouldn't that be in the Basics area? :LOL:

HTiB - Home Theatre in a Box i.e box containing 5 speakers, a sub, and a receiver usually with a built in DVD player. It's a good starting point, I guess, especially if the system is upgradeable in parts.

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
HTIB (Home Theater In a Box). And the controversy rages on!!! Check out the Samsung HTB-600B system. 100 watts per channel, AM/FM, 5-disc cd/dvd/cd-r/cd-rw/jpeg progressive scan player,DD/DTS/DPLII. 2aux inputs, 1 optical, 1 S-video input. Slim styling, w/6 speakers, remote. List price #299.00, discounted at $249.00. Listening to CHICAGO in DTS is impressive! Not as detailed as my $3000.00 Denon/Sony/Pioneer/Polk/Dish Network system, but, nothing to sneeze at either! Try it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks