What's new

HTIB lesson being learned hard way (1 Viewer)

curveball

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry
You only get to be a newbie once. Thanks for the opportunity.

In my growing family's list of priorities, the home theater system for now will be HTIB. But before getting in the family way, I've had one since about 15 years ago. I've just laid that old system to rest -- I think.
I'm seeking direction here on whether to keep and use at least the speakers from my old set.
OLD set: Philips FR975/MX98D digital surround sound receiver.
NEW set: Philips HTS3566D
I'm hazy on it, but I'm pretty sure I bought the old one in the early 90s. It proved to be a workhorse.
But after the Verizon FIOS guy came in recently and replaced Cox Cable, I couldn't get the subwoofer to work when I hooked up the system. It makes semi-loud, low-throated interference noise when I touched the patch cables to either the receiver or the subwoofer. Other than that, there's no woofin'. I couldn't tell if the receiver or the subwoofer was bad, or maybe they just didn't work with new-fangled FIOS HD magic tricks.

So y'day at Costco I saw the Philips HTS3566D HTIB on sale for $179 and grabbed it on a whim (rarely a good thing) -- without doing due diligence research on what's out there and what I need. I trusted the Philips name after my 15 years or so of good experience. (I'm not sophisticated in electronics and may have stepped in doo with that assertion. Hope it doesn't stop anyone from advising me constructively in this fix.)
I've taken out the old system and set up the new one, though preliminarily so because it seems I'm going to have to splice and lengthen the rear speaker wires to run above the ceiling to the back of the room. The wires that are there already don't have the newer-Philips specific ends for hooking to the reciever and the speakers.

It seemed a bad sign when I took the unit from the box and noticed the subwoofer is not powered. Again, I'm not knowledgeable in this area, but.........the old one might also be HTIB, but I fear I may be spoiled (relatively speaking, of course).

I haven't yet had the time to play with the new system and figure out how to adjust various speaker volumes so the balance in the room is good. I haven't gotten so far as to figure out how to increase the volume on the subwoofer, which will be a big test for what I like.

My question here is whether I might use the old speakers with the new unit.....if they are better and will work with it....and if the new subwoofer is likely to be substantial enough to satisfy along with them.
Feel free to heap on the lessons about getting beyond HTIB, but this is where I've put myself. And I won't take it down and jam it back in the box and return it to Costco -- I went in with my eyes open, albeit so unprepared as to be buying blind.

I'm pasting below the specifications on the old and new units from the user manuals. For the most part, I might as well be copying a foreign language from a page as far as my understanding of this information is concerned. Don't let my use of such as "Hz" lead you to think I have any idea what that is. Advice/guidance appreciated. Thanks.

Philips HST3566D with five speakers and non-powered subwooferFront and Rear speakers:

Speaker drivers: 3” full range speaker
Frequency response: 150Hz-20kHz
weight: front .54 kg each; rear 3.53 kg each

Center speaker:
150 Hz-20 kHz
weight: .84 grams

Subwoofer:
non-powered subwoofer
impedance: 3 ohm
speaker drivers: 8” woofer
frequency response: 40 Hz-150 Hz
weight: 4.98 kg.

Amplifier:
home theater mode: 1000w
FTC output power: 640w
frequency response: 180 Hz-14 kHz /???3dB
signal-to-noise ratio: 60dB (A-weighted)

Philips FR975 with five speakers and powered subwoofer

digital surround sound receiver
with coaxial and optical inputs among others

receiver FR975 , mx980D
power consumption 280w
output power stereo mode 2x100 front and rear speakers; 100w center speaker

Front speakers
frequency range: 40-20,000 Hz
power handling capacity: 100w (200w peak)
drivers: 1x5 ¼ inch woofer
Passive radiator: 1x6 ½ inch woofer
weight: 2.5 kg

Rear speakers
same as front

Center speaker:
frequency range: 75-20,000 Hz
power handling capacity: 100w (peak 200w)
drivers: 2x4 inch woofer, 1x2 inch tweeter
weight 1.6 kg

powered subwoofer:
power consumption: 30w
standby power consumpter less than 4.5 watts
output power 50w
frequency range 35-140 Hz
drivers: 1x5 ¼ inch cone type
crossover cut-off frequencies 60-160 Hz
weight 7.1 kg

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Chances are, the speaker connections on the receiver of the new system, are some of those proprietary connectors. If so, the old speakers won't work too good.

How long has the old speakers been out of use? Take the grills off. If the rubber or foam around the woofers are still in good shape, I'd take the new system back for a refund, and buy a decent receiver. If you can't afford a new, decent receiver, buy used. Check Craig's List or local pawn shops. Pawn shops will usually give a 30 day warranty (they do here) on about everything they sell. You will not be happy, in the long run, with the new Phillips system.
Good luck!

FR975

Auditioning
Real Name
DUANE
Do you still have your Philips FR975?

I need to buy some parts or complete system.

Thanks

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
There was no mention of the impedence of the new/old speakers....if they don't match you could blow your new receiver by over-driving it with a lower impedence speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks