What's new

HTIB As Computer "Speakers" (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I've never met a computer speaker that I've truly liked, or thought was worth the $. Was thinking of ditching the idea altogether and getting a 2nd receiver/speaker setup for the computer.

Any thoughts on a HTIB setup for this task?

Other ideas?

Votes against?

Thanks, in advance...

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The limiting factor as you know is the speakers.

Instead of a HTIB, how about a Energy Take5+1 system for about $500, and a older DD receiver from eBay for about $300? Definitive Technologies, and Klipsch all sell small home-theater speaker systems that would work well. This way the system could also become a bedroom system if you want.

The Kenwood HTB-509 is another choice for about $600 (and you get that 5-disk progressive scan DVD player).

Zacha R

Stunt Coordinator
Just be sure that the older receiver has a 6-channel in. That said, it doesn't need Dolby Digital if your computer decodes it. (Assuming that you have an Audigy 2 Sound Card, the 'AC-3' filter program or can do without time-alignment.)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your suggestions guys. Actually, I only need 2 speakers and a sub. I don't do any gaming or other applications that require surround sound on the computer, just music.

I am constantly astounded by the price of computer speakers. I think I'll look into a pair of bookshelf speakers and another receiver.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
A friend who is really into computers bought a set of "Monsoon" flat-panel computer speakers with a subwoofer module. He really, really loved the sound so he bought a second set for his living room CD player.

It might be worth a trip to a local computer store to check these out. A quick search on eBay shows:

Monsoon MH-502 : $50
Monsoon MM-1000 : $90

You might also look for "Gallo" speakers. These small, softball-sized speakers have made "Stereophile's Guide" to recommended components. Add a subwoofer to 2 of these and you have a very respectable speaker setup.

Remember: half the fun of this hobby is ANTICIPATION. This means planning, researching, auditioning. Dont rush this step.:)

Zacha R

Stunt Coordinator
Another thing to look into, for the computer setup you're talking about, is to look at second hand stuff.

As well as bona-fide Hi-fi stores with clearance or second-hand stock, you could probably do well with garage-sales (they're called 'yard sales' in the States?)and such.The trick is matching the speakers and the amp with no manuals or specs to work with. There are no demos, but at that price it's much less of an issue.

Whatever you get is bound to be better than PC speakers.

I suppose magnetic sheilding will be more of an issue, mind you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks