What's new

HTIAB (1 Viewer)

Chris*L

Auditioning
I currentley have a very crappy "Aspire Digital" system I bought last year at Radio Shack (http://www.aspiredigital.com/newwebs...ad_50ssts.htm). It was an impulse purchase, I did absolutley no research on it, or any Home Theater aspects. After doing research after setting it up, I realised that I'd been jipped. I mean, it uses RCA cables for each channel from the DVD player to the SubWoofer which is also the decoder! I can only have stereo sound from my Comcast HD cable box come out of the front and rear speakers, even though HD has 5.1 SS. I've definatley leared my lesson and will always research everything I buy from now on, which is why I'm here.

So I have some extra cash that i'm looking to burn, so I've been looking for something to buy. Today I was at BJ's and saw this http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...ESHQFHKFSEKI5P It seems a lot better than my current system, but i'd like to hear what everyone has to say about it. I know everyone's gonna want me to buy a better system or components seperatley, but I'm not looking to spend more than $200. Suggest better ones (if there is)

I also have a few questions:
1. On my Cable box, there's an Orange "Digital Coaxial Out." I assume this can carry 5.1 surround to the recevier. This system also has a "Digital Coaxil In" but it's black. If I get a cable and hook it up right, will I get real 5.1 SS from the Cable box to the system?

2. Does anyone know if the phillips system still works without a remote? My current remote broke, and it costs $30 to buy a new one, and until then, I can't use anything. I don't think that universal remotes work on it either.

Any advice/answers will be very appriciated.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
It is my understanding you already bought the Philips HTIAB. It is possible you could find a universal remote to replace the broken one with limited functionality but the thing should work without the remote.

The digital connection color varies from company to company, but they are completely compatible. Though with some systems the default settings don't have the digital connection activated and require the use of the remote control that came with the unit to set it. It is a shame to shell out $30 for another remote but it is generally more than that. The replacement remote for my room mate's Polaroid portable DVD player costs about $70, and it is just one of those credit card sized ones.

Chris*L

Auditioning
I haven't bought the Phillips yet. The broken remote is the one to the Aspire Digital. Without it, I can't get out of standby mode. The remote is $30, the whole system cost me $90, so I think its completley ridculus to spen 1/3 of the price on a little piece of plastic. So the coaxil will carry surround sound? The Aspire Digital dosen't even have a coaxil input. I think i might have been confusing in the orgional post. Hope that clears it up.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The Aspire appears to lack any on-board digital decoders, thus why you connected it via 5.1 analog using a built in Dolby Digital decoder.

The Aspire is likely made by Tandy Corp or is distributed through Tandy by another company like Pioneer, Sony, or RCA (could be anything really). If you find the company that originally manufactured the unit you may be able to use some universal remotes with codes to the real manufacturer of the Aspire. Hope that wasn't to confusing.

Chris*L

Auditioning
Not at all! Thats pretty intresting/useful actually. The remote decided to work (for now) but its being held together by tape. I probably will look for the universal remote. Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks