What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by David Upton /t/306751/htf-top-19-must-own-3d-titles/600#post_4003663
Yes, Webb used 3D rigs to film the entire thing.
Thanks Dave, so much for buying the BD on sale which isn't the 3-D release.

Crawdaddy

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I don't have a 3D TV, but my Blu-ray palyer is 3D enabled and came with avatar 3D. Since I purchased Classic Monsters, I also have Creature of the Black Lagoon in 3D. I wasn't about to buy a 3D TV just for these movies, but saw a deal for the 3D Video Wizard for $35 (including shipping), which converts 3D blu-ray and 3D TV into blue-yellow anaglyph. Mine also came with an extra two pairs of adult and two pairs of children's glasses in addition to the first two pairs.
I just watched Creature with this gizmo. Believe it or not, it works! I'm sure it's not close to the quality of 3D TVs and projectors, but it's not bad, definitely watchable. and definitely 3D.
Amazon is selling it for $46.99. http://www.amazon.com/3D-Video-Wizard-Console-Glasses/dp/B005SN3INA

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Joe Bernardi /t/306751/htf-top-19-must-own-3d-titles/600#post_4003844
I don't have a 3D TV, but my Blu-ray palyer is 3D enabled and came with avatar 3D. Since I purchased Classic Monsters, I also have Creature of the Black Lagoon in 3D. I wasn't about to buy a 3D TV just for these movies, but saw a deal for the 3D Video Wizard for $35 (including shipping), which converts 3D blu-ray and 3D TV into blue-yellow anaglyph. Mine also came with an extra two pairs of adult and two pairs of children's glasses in addition to the first two pairs.
I just watched Creature with this gizmo. Believe it or not, it works! I'm sure it's not close to the quality of 3D TVs and projectors, but it's not bad, definitely watchable. and definitely 3D.
Amazon is selling it for $46.99. http://www.amazon.com/3D-Video-Wizard-Console-Glasses/dp/B005SN3INA

If it's anything like the anaglyph blu ray's i have watched it will give you a taste of the 3D pop out and depth but when you move up to proper full 3D you will be amazed at the difference, it's night and day, i was expecting huge crosstalk, poorer colours, less detail etc etc, what i got was no real visible crosstalk to moan about, excellent colours and detail, just a dimming of the image compared to 2D, mind you i have this year's Samsung 60 inch plasma, i did consider Panasonic but the Panasonic's unfortunately cannot produce the full HD and you get aliasing on fine detail, that's plasma though and their latest projector should be fine.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I agree with Malcom. I have an anaglyph version of Journey to the Center of the Earth and now a blu-ray 3D version. Yes, you do get a 3D effect with the anaglyph, you also get strained eyes and maybe a headache. Blu-ray 3D on a 3D TV is far superior. However, I do understand the difficulty in replacing a perfectly good TV. I couldn't bring myself to do it until I ran across a good deal I couldn't pass up and I'm glad I did.
I might make one suggestion: start buying 3D blu's when you get a good deal on them. Almost all of them contain a standard blu and many also contain a DVD. Come the day you do get a real 3D setup, you'l have some content. Right now both Amazon and BestBuy are selling some of their 3Ds for $15, which is a really good price.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Todd J Moore said:
Out of curiosity, where did you hear this? I don't care who releases it so long as someone does it in 3D Blu and sometime soon.
I have heard the same thing from a reliable source.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Todd J Moore said:
Out of curiosity, where did you hear this? I don't care who releases it so long as someone does it in 3D Blu and sometime soon.
From Twilight Time. No date was given of when it will be released.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
FoxyMulder said:
i did consider Panasonic but the Panasonic's unfortunately cannot produce the full HD and you get aliasing on fine detail, that's plasma though and their latest projector should be fine.
Is this a general consensus among 3-D experts? This is the first I've read about aliasing with plasma. What do you mean by "The full HD"? I ask because Panny 55" or 60" is what I was planning on buying in a few months...

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Dick said:
Is this a general consensus among 3-D experts? This is the first I've read about aliasing with plasma. What do you mean by "The full HD"? I ask because Panny 55" or 60" is what I was planning on buying in a few months...
Only Panasonic's passive 3-D displays are 1/2 HD resolution. Their active 3-D displays are full HD.I don't think they have any passive plasmas.
Refer to this list which details actual (effective) 3-D resolution for various display models.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
JamesNelson said:
Only Panasonic's passive 3-D displays are 1/2 HD resolution. Their active 3-D displays are full HD.I don't think they have any passive plasmas.
Refer to this list which details actual (effective) 3-D resolution for various display models.
I've not heard of passive Panasonic TV sets. But I do own a 60" Panasonic 3D plasma and can honestly tell you that, once properly calibrated, this set delivers truly outstanding results. I've had it for just about a year and to give you one example: I recently saw Jaws projected in 4K at my local cinema and two weeks later watched the Blu-ray version on my Panasonic. It looked exactly the same... except for the size of the screen.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
JamesNelson said:
Panasonic does not have any passive 3-D displays. LG, Toshiba and Vizio make passive 3D TV's.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
RolandL said:
Panasonic does not have any passive 3-D displays. LG, Toshiba and Vizio make passive 3D TV's.
Actually the ET-5 series Panasonic LED/lcd sets are passive, all other Panny 3D sets (all plasmas and DT and WT led/lcd) are active.
A source of confusion may be Consumer Reports with regard to Panasonic plasmas--they claim the ST50 plasmas don't do full HD in 3D mode. Probably a mistake on their part as they're the only reveiwers stating this.
If one wants passive I think the LG 6400 and above are better choices than the Panasonics mainly because they offer a lot more adjustment options. The IPS lcd panels on Panasonic led/lcd sets are sourced from LG but LG has different processing chips driving the panel and (if it's important) significantly better OTA tuners.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
RolandL said:
Did you follow the link I posted? There are three different passive Panasonic displays listed.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Dick /t/306751/htf-top-20-must-own-3d-titles/600#post_4004408

Indepth testing, site listed below and all the reviews of Panasonics and indeed in the forum itself ( where i take part ) it mentions the lesser vertical resolution and minor issues this causes. This issue is not found on the Samsung brand of plasma TV, go join the forum over at HDTV test, they can confirm this and you can also get some good advice on how this affects performance.

From the review of their top model, its the same for all this years models and last years.

Plasma’s 3D picture quality is not at the same level as 2D (neither are most LCD televisions, for that matter). On Panasonic’s plasma-based 3D TVs, it appears that some of the light emission stages from the plasma panel are being completed with lessened precision, which results in a resolution limitation. In test patterns, resolution checks with 100% white and 100% black lines are drawn cleanly by the panel, which is probably why Panasonic still markets the product as “Full HD 3D”. However, if the difference between the lines is less, say if they are dark grey and light grey, the panel may not resolve all of the fine details and instead smudge the two greys into a single tone. We assume that this is being done to speed up the panel display process and produce a sufficiently bright 3D image – although power consumption may also be a factor.

It’s important to clarify the impact this will have on real-world 3D images. 3D resolution limitation does not – in our experience – increase crosstalk (which is caused by temporal limitations in the display, not spatial limitations), but does introduce slight jaggedness that will be revealed with movement and certain brightness combinations within the source. The only Panasonic Plasma 3D TV we reviewed that didn’t feature this was their very first tri-dimensional model, the TX-P50VT20. There is also a higher amount of dithering in the image when compared to 2D, presumably used to disguise less graceful transitions between shades (lessened gradation) when compared to 2D.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p50vt50b-p50vt50-201204101757.htm?page=Performance

Personally if i was you i'd go for a SamsungPS60E6500, ( i was you, i did consider the GT50 and went for the Samsung ) amazing 3D performance, blacks are deep and no image retention whatsoever, also great screen uniformity, brightness pops are really not an issue at all. [SIZE= 14px]Here is a review i did for Amazon of the above television set and i am extremely happy with it.[/SIZE]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R152P2ZMFO5C6M/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Incidentally i have Creature From The Black Lagoon, Legend Of The Guardians and Puss In Boots coming tomorrow, looking forward to viewing them and hoping for good depth and pop out.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I've seen both the Panasonic and LG passive displays in action and while the 3D effect is impressive, because the resolution is halved, you need to be quite some distance from the TV before the "you're watching an old interlaced TV" effect goes away. They're not as dark as active displays either. I'm probably going to take the plunge next year. How many active displays (I'm leaning toward plasma) have HDMI audio pass-thru? I really don't want to upgrade my receiver again.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
JamesNelson said:
Did you follow the link I posted? There are three different passive Panasonic displays listed.
Sorry, I had never seen a Panasonic passive display. You lose the 3-D depending on the angle you are watching. People who mounted them high on the wall complain the 3-D effect is gone.

GregK

Screenwriter
James is correct, as a few manufactures are now opting to offer both passive and active displays.
I own both types and each approach has its own pros and cons.
IMHO: Neither one should be summarily dismissed, but based more on one's screen size and given viewing situations.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/306751/htf-top-20-must-own-3d-titles/600#post_4003667
Thanks Dave, so much for buying the BD on sale which isn't the 3-D release.

Crawdaddy
Amazon has the 3-D version of The Amazing Spider-man on sale for 19.99

Crawdaddy

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
The Best and Worst 3d movies from Rolling Stone's Peter Travers...
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/lists/the-best-and-worst-3d-movies-20121123

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks