What's new

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
So just finished Robinson Crusoe, I can see where the less than stellar reviews of the film itself come from, a bit to much screaming and 'arghh' throughout, On the other hand the graphics, details and colours were stunning!, the 3D was very good to especially with what we have been getting lately, a few scenes were amazing but overall there was not the same pop out that nWave normally produce, a quick glance out of the 3D glasses confirmed this as the forward seperation was nothing as wide as the likes of turtles tale and House of magic. It would seem even the masters of 3D are reigning things in a bit.

Overall though very impressive 3D !.

Last edited:

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
Now available for pre-order for delivery just in time for Christmas, is The Stewardesses (3-D). To increase your chance of getting kissed under the mistletoe, it will include Experiments in Love (1977), a softcore short in restored 3-D. From amazon:

A groovy time capsule from a more swinging era, the camp classic THE STEWARDESSES takes wing again in this restored 3-D edition. A group of friendly flight attendants spend their layovers engaging in casual sexual encounters and popular amusements (including hallucinogenic drugs and a psychedelic haunted hause). But the life of the stewardess is not without its pitfalls, and the women must eventually face the moral consequences of their high-flying lifestyles.

:rolleyes: :3dglasses:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
3rd instalment of captain America thisafty, Civil War... The 3D was again really nice like its predecessors, like leaning on a windowsill looking out onto the screen.

One thing that irritated was dialogue, typical as I'm running a new AVR.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't understand what you mean about the dialogue. If you didn't like the script, nothing we can do about that. If you couldn't hear what they were saying, you may need to recalibrate your new AVR with whatever Audyssey-like software it comes with.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
3rd instalment of captain America thisafty, Civil War... The 3D was again really nice like its predecessors, like leaning on a windowsill looking out onto the screen.

One thing that irritated was dialogue, typical as I'm running a new AVR.
Can you repost this so we know what you're talking about.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Sorry I should have been more specific, I found the dialogue to quiet, it did not match the rest of the soundtrack very well, the action scenes and surround effects were very loud in comparison.
I have run Ypao on the Yamaha and also increased the centre channel db level slightly.
It's not the first time I have come across this with films on blu Ray. The strange thing is I had no problem with either the First avenger or a winters war.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
FYI: Contrary to its original listing, Rocky Mountain Express [Blu-ray] from amazon.de is not offered in 3-D as originally listed which I discovered immediately upon receiving it in the post yesterday. I checked the product page only to discover that it was subsequently updated to reflect availability of the 2-D and UHD versions only. An amazon rep confirmed the discrepancy and issued me a refund.

RME.jpg

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Alice TTLG.jpg

The 3D encode for Alice Through The Looking Glass does not disappoint!
3D is exceptionally Strong, like I'm looking through a window on the world in several scenes!

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
I saw Looking Glass theatrically in 3-D at Disney Springs and found the plot razor thin. I definitely preferred the first installment.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Watched Dial M for Murder and Step Up 3D on the weekend. Step Up 3D is very impressive 3D wise, while the plot is as enjoyably thin as you'd expect from the franchise. Dial M is a solid transfer, but I found it darker than it should be, and it reminded me of theatres where the projectionist is deliberately underpowering the xenon lamphouse in a futile effort to preserve the life of the lamp. I won't get into the ghosting observed, because my display is notoriously ghost-prone. I have Metalstorm coming from Amazon, and ICFOS will be here in a couple of days.

One note: if Jon M. Chu has effectively killed his directing career with Jem and the Holograms, he should consider working as a stereoscopic consultant and/or designer. His placement of the camera and the projections from the screen in Step Up 3D are THAT good. I also recall that GI Joe had a well-designed post conversion, with a handful of interesting pop-outs.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
from Stephen J H:
"Dial M is a solid transfer, but I found it darker than it should be, and it reminded me of theatres where the projectionist is deliberately underpowering the xenon lamphouse in a futile effort to preserve the life of the lamp. I won't get into the ghosting observed, because my display is notoriously ghost-prone."

Stephen,

I can tell you that I was one of the serious doubters about the "Dial M for Murder" transfer:

On my 2010 & 2011 Panasonic Plasmas, it was nothing but ghosting in every shot. Looked terrible.

But, on my 2014 Samsung UN60H7150 LED, there is very little ghosting and the image is as bright as anything in 2D --
I am very happy with it on this set as it was the only bad offender that I owned.

Of the above sets
(Panasonic, of which both my 2010 and 2011 Plasmas died just over a year after purchase),
all were Active-Vision
as is the Samsung LED --
But
What a difference the Samsung makes !

I recently saw parts of "Dial M for Murder" on a friends Espon Front Screen Active-Vision Projector,
and
there was totally Zero-Ghosting -- None at all!

This leaves me sad that Samsung has left the 3D arena,
and
I hope that Samsung will change their minds and come back to giving us an option for Direct-View 3D.

But,
as one who worked camera on a few 3D movies in the 80s
(and I think that, story-wise, there were no good 3D movies in that era),
I originally thought that "Dial M for Murder" was a mess.

Now, I know it is a matter of the right display,
and
those people that were saying that it is a matter of the right display were not wrong.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There's no ghosting on the Dial M disc itself - there could be some being introduced by different displays. But due to photochemical limitations of the early WarnerColor process, there is a lot of haloing baked into the film element themselves. It looks a little like ghosting but it's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks