What's new

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Watched Disneys Jungle book on Sunday, great cgi and a nice film, 3D was mediocre and if I watch it again it will be in 2D as I noticed some pastel colours in some scenes like the forest floor was totally masked by the active glasses.

I hate to say this but my crazy enthusiasm for 3D ever since I saw Avatar in 2008 is slowly slipping away... I may just watch bright animated 3D from now on.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Watched Disneys Jungle book on Sunday, great cgi and a nice film, 3D was mediocre and if I watch it again it will be in 2D as I noticed some pastel colours in some scenes like the forest floor was totally masked by the active glasses.

I hate to say this but my crazy enthusiasm for 3D ever since I saw Avatar in 2008 is slowly slipping away... I may just watch bright animated 3D from now on.

Still waiting for my UK import to arrive at my door. It takes time.

Kind of disappointed to read your post. I was hoping for a really good 3D presentation of JUNGLE BOOK.

As for as enthusiasm towards 3D? Mine has waned as well. Hollywood ruined 3D. It had so much potential but has failed to live up to what it could and should have been.

Really, I am surprised that the format still thrives in theaters

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
One of the big differences between theatrical 3D and home 3D is screen size, which amplifies depth and projection. Large projector setups can ameliorate this somewhat, but brightness is also an issue. This is why I have given serious thought to a dual projector passive setup when I build a dedicated theatre room, using a variation on the Dolby 3D setup. Chromatic interference filters are more expensive, but with twice the brightness hitting the screen and no need for a silvered screen, the issues of losing brightness should be minimised. Of course, any dual projector setup will require processing that splits the MVC signal, so I will likely go with an HTPC utilizing a video card with dual HDMI outs.

I doubt my enthusiasm will ever wane. I'm not at Bob Furmanek levels of enthusiasm, but I'm not that far away either.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony

Kind of disappointed to read your post. I was hoping for a really good 3D presentation of JUNGLE BOOK.

As for as enthusiasm towards 3D? Mine has waned as well. Hollywood ruined 3D. It had so much potential but has failed to live up to what it could and should have been.

Cameron will revive it once again with Avatars 2 through 4. All the Star Wars too. 3-D means ticket surcharges and greater profits.

Sent from my SM-G900V using HTF mobile app

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Each to his own. For me JUNGLE BOOK has the best 3D depth I've seen since AVATAR. I love this film. It give me a renewed enthusiasm for 3D, as well as for Disney.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Each to his own. For me JUNGLE BOOK has the best 3D depth I've seen since AVATAR. I love this film. It give me a renewed enthusiasm for 3D, as well as for Disney.
Loved the Jungle Book's 3D in the theater and I'm anxiously waiting for the Blu-ray 3D, supposedly being released today from the region of India, and mailed from Houston Texas.

Disney still needs a kick in their consumer 3D pants for a favorable U.S. release.

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I'm surprised by the comments on jungle book 3D, it was nothing special for us, combine that with loss of light on an active projector due to the glasses and next time I will watch 2D.
No doubt my 55" active tv would show it brighter ( I get around 10 FTL from it) but it's 55".
I will say that almost all Disney 3D is just ok... Put Madagascar 3 on from DreamWorks and bang its a different ball game altogether, not that all DreamWorks has great 3D though.
The soundtrack to jungle book was impressive through.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell

You may find it a much better experience Ron than I did, I wasn't meaning it was awful far from it, trouble is when you see a few issues you start to think about those more than enjoying the film, I kept wanting my wife to go out for something so I could see if I could improve things.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Is there a thread for releases of 3-D BDs in other countries where there isn't a US 3-D release? I poked around a bit and couldn't find one. That seems like it would be awfully useful---I'm so tired of getting a 2-D US release only to find out that the UK released it in 3-D.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Is there a thread for releases of 3-D BDs in other countries where there isn't a US 3-D release? I poked around a bit and couldn't find one. That seems like it would be awfully useful---I'm so tired of getting a 2-D US release only to find out that the UK released it in 3-D.

From 2015 so more titles needed:

United Kingdom
Best of 3D: The Ultimate 3D Collection
Big Hero 6
David Attenborough: The 3D Collection
David Attenborough's Natural History Alive
David Attenborough's Conquest of the Skies
Frozen
Harlock: Space Pirate
JLS: Eyes Wide Open
The Lion King
Maleficent
The Martian
Night of the Living Dead Re-Animation
The Nutcracker in 3D
Over the Edge: Ultimate Speed Riders
Rachmaninov / Mahler: Berliner Philharmoniker (3D + anaglyph 3D)
Rainforest
Ratatouille
Ribbit
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (3D +4k UHD Stick)
Satriani: SATCHURATED - Live in Montreal
Secrets of the Rainforest
Sex and Zen: Extreme Ecstacy
Tony Robinson's World War I in 3D
Vamperifica
War Flowers
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie: Bonds Beyond Time
Zhu Zhu Pets: Quest for Zhu

France
The Snow Queen (animated)
The Young and Prodigious T. S. Spivet (also Australia and Netherlands)

Germany
1939 - Battlefield Westerplatte The Beginning of World War II
2:22
2 Headed Shark Attack
2010: Moby Dick
6 Guns
6 Minutes of Death
Armour of God: Chinese Zodiac
The Last Trapper
The Last Unicorn
The Snow Queen (live action)
Valhalla Rising
The Warlords

Italy
The Last Emperor

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks