What's new

HTF Simpsons Fan Club, Inc. © (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I figured that The Simpsons is at least half as popular as Buffy the Vampire Slayer ( :) ) and I also noticed that there's no "all-encompassing" thread devoted to the beloved citizens of Springfield...
So I thought I'd give this a shot. I figure that Home Theater Forum and The Simpsons would go well together, seeing as how they're both enjoyed by people of extremely high intellect and stunningly good taste. :D
I'm hoping that this thread can cover anything that we Simpsons freaks would enjoy reading/discussing, including but not limited to:
- Favorite quotes, episodes and characters.
- Your thoughts on recent episodes, or syndicated episodes you've just seen for the first time.
- Behind-the-scenes news (be it for the show itself or the DVD sets).
- Discussions on why The Simpsons has had such staying power.
- Subtext, movie/TV/literary "in-jokes", social commentary, obscure references, "adult" humor, etc.
- If and when The Simpsons has "jumped the shark". (I say it still hasn't!) :angry:
- Whether or not you think that The Simpsons is 'appropriate' for young kids.
- Specifically why you adore, like or detest the show. (I still say it's the best comedy series that TV has ever produced.)
- Whether or not you collect any Simpsons memorabilia, what sort, and why.
- The history!
- The eventual movie!
- The impact that The Simpsons has had on popular culture, and not solely in a "T-shirt" capacity.
- The Simpsons "finest hour", whether that means your favorite season, episode, or musical number. Seeee...myyyy...vest!
- The most surprising, amusing or memorable guest stars.
- Any aspect of the show that you think has regressed or worsened in some respect.
- Thoughts, news, opinions about the cast and crew.
- If you are not a Simpsons fan, feel free to include your opinions as well, but please articulate your thoughts. Nothing kills the mood like a post that reads simply "That show sux. Cartones are for little kids and idots."
My inspiration for this thread is fairly simple: I simply love the show, and when I get the chance to discuss The Simpsons with friends who are also passionate fans - we generally make each other laugh.
Here in Philadelphia, Fox runs The Simpsons every weekday at 6:30 and 7:00pm. They could run six consecutive episodes and you wouldn't hear me complaining. Even episodes I've seen 7 times still never fail to entertain.
All right, enough blather from me. Hopefully we can get this rolling nicely. Remind me later to tell you about 1) my blind aunt who thought (for almost three seasons) that The Simpsons was a live-action sitcom and 2) the upcoming episode that has Homer smoking lots of marijuana (for medicinal purposes, of course). :D
In the immortal words of Apu Nahasapeemapetilon:
Thank you! Come again!

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
How long before we get the "The Simpsons is just a shell of its former self" posts? :D
But count me in. I am one of a group of four people at work who NEVER MISS a new episode. This season has been getting better each episode, I think. The "Tales From the Public Domain" episode from last week was absolutely hysterical. Admittedly, I am very fond of Shakespeare's Hamlet, so that might have had something to do with it. But "Homer's" Odyssey was quite good as well!
My friend Dale did make an interesting observation, however. He is starting to see the characterization and continuity slip away. This was because he thought Lisa would have absolutely known the story of Joan of Arc. I think we both agree that the show is still consistently funny, however, and we enjoy it for that reason.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
My first post about the Simpsons in this thread will be a complaint. I'm unhappy that I can't hear my Troy McClure action figure talk unless I also purchase the Simpson's Kitchen, Krusty Burger, or Springfield DMV interactive environments. There I've said it and I'm not taking it back. :frowning:
Brad

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
I want to join the fan club!
In fact, I think I will appoint myself treasurer. Please send your dues to me. I accept check, money order, credit card, and Paypal:)
How exactly would the Simpson's jump the shark, if they were so inclined to do so? It seems that most of the normal ways wouldn't work well.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Yep, Greatest Show Ever™*.
One question: [seinfeld voice] What's the deal with the '©'? [/seinfeld voice] What exactly is copyrighted? If the thread itself is copyrighted, shouldn't the '©' be followed by, let's say, '2002 Scott Weinberg'? Or if the contents are copyrighted by the organization known as HTF Simpsons Fan Club, Inc., shouldn't the '©' be before the name of the organization? My head hurts...
Well, whenever I’m confused, I just check my underwear. It holds the answers to all the important questions.
mike.

*Claim made after pretending The Family Guy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Manimal never existed. Your results may vary.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
"I dressed myself!"
The Simpsons will never jump the shark IMHO. This season has been very good. Last nights re-run was great with Homer licking the frogs since he had no beer on the tropical island. Also, the great "I dropped my testicle" line is always a good one. :)
-Dean-

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
one of the best shows ever. It works on so many levels. I watch it twice a day. Truly the first prime time cartoon for all ages.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite episodes was on last night.
Homer is forced to borrow money from Patty & Selma to pay his mortgage, and they torture him.
Choice lines:
Patty: "Is it me...or did it just get fatter in here?" :laugh:
Homer: "I love you, Marge! I'd kill for you... Please ask me to kill for you..."
and so on and so on. This episode is also the one where Bart learns ballet and drinks a Tab. :)
After that was the Aussie episode. A damn solid one, but not among my faves.
Unless you live in or near Philly, you probably saw different syndicateds last night. :b

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
this is a ridiculous thread!
Cartoons don't have any deep meaning, they're just a bunch of stupid pictures that give you a cheap laugh ;)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
either the first episode (just hearing homers walter mathou impression cracks me up) or the garbage man episode. My favorite song was the one in the new york episode.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I'm glad that there is finally a thread for the greatest show ever. To me The Simpsons is and will be the greatest show ever forever. It is the only show that can have me laughing about some small reference that I understood while at the same time laughing at some slap stick moment that is equally hilarious. My favorite episode would probably have to be the Scorpio one. When the bum turns into the post office box. Makes me crack up every time. I happen to actually have a Simpsons collection that I regularly add to.
Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks