What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Yankee Doodle Dandy - 2 Disc SE. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I might even say that I personally find excessive hiss worse than a crummy video presentation (obviously there are exceptions).

There are many many great Mono soundtracks that exist... but noting what's not present is just as important as noting what is present.
As long as the actual sound signal isn't compromised (the "pillow over the sound" effect I hear in Hello Dolly) then all is well. And naturally with your ML speakers *you* would hear hiss with more detail than the rest of us! :D

In any case, agreed that all things being equal, a great-sounding soundtrack without distracting hiss is nicer than one with excessive hiss (just that we need to be sure all things are equal...and that real sound fidelity isn't altered in the noise-reduction process).

-dave

TedD

Supporting Actor
A lot of people out there have too much overscan, even if they're doing their best to give a great presentation.
Patrick:

I don't have a problem with windowboxing, just the inconsistent use of windowboxing as in "YDD". I can always zoom a windowboxed image to fill a screen of the proper A.R. as long as the windowboxing is applied consistently.

There must be at least four instances of windowboxing in "YDD", in addition to the main and end titles.

It comes and goes, lasting through one or more scenes and then returning to a full frame, and that does not fit my definition of a quality restoration.

Anyhow, other than the windowboxing problems present in the transfer, it certainly was a pleasure to watch.

Ted

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a question about a video anomaly that I've noticed with at least a couple of the Warner Legends discs. In a couple of the cartoons, and in at least one short from the Robin Hood Warner Night at the Movies, I've noticed a bit of video "sparkle"--almost like the film is see-through with some static signal beneath. I know that's not a very good description, but I've never seen anything like it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

There is a musical short on the Robin Hood dvd that has the anomaly during a close-up on the drummer, and I believe I saw it on Yankee Doodle Bugs on the Yankee Doodle Dandy second disc. Both discs were purchased separately, and not as part of the Warner Legends collection. I did not notice any of the anomaly during the films themselves. I'm a little worried about whether this will be present on the Looney Tunes Golden Collection.

Can anyone help me with this? It's the first time I've noticed it in over 120 dvds. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks