What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Y tu mamá también" (unrated) (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
However, that scene, and one towards the end (you know which one I mean when you see it) seemed to stretch credibility just a bit. Not because two guys wouldn't do that, but just because I didn't necessarily believe THOSE two guys would do that. Maybe I just didn't have a complete understanding of the characters, though.
The only problem I had with the movie is that while the documentary-like way it was filmed contributed to it's charm, the scarcity of close-up made it hard at times to distinguish between Tenoch and Julio - I had to rewind several time just to know which is which. C'mon, 32" is not that small ;)
--
Holadem

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
This is the best I can come up with.
UK own and US rented.

The US R1 and UK R2 discs have the same commentary tracks.
US w/o subtitles, UK with subtitles.

US film runs 1:45:44 7.11 bit rate
UK film runs 1:41:06 5.80 bit rate

US has 32 chapter stops, 4 stills for each chapter per static screen.
UK has 20 chapter stops, 4 large cut out numbers that
has film clips play in the number and when you highlight
the number a line drawing related to the chapter is the
highlight on the number, very cool looking.
Such as chapter 7 has the clip of them driving and telling
the 11 rules inside the number 7 and the highlight is a
line drawing of a quill and scroll.

The US and UK have the same making of, the US will spell
out the cuss words, the UK will use ---K .
US bit rate 7.70 and UK bit rate 5.66

The US and UK have the same "You owe me one"
The UK has a chapter menu for it with 3 chapter stops.
US bit rate 4.78 and UK bit rate 5.20

US and UK have a similar main trailer, but the US version
has English as the text for the lines;
"Life has its way of teaching us"
while the UK version has the original Spanish text and
English subtitles below the Spanish text.

The US TV spot is like a very short trailer while the
3 UK TV spots are film clips of people talking after
watching the movie, one is two girls commenting on how
their boyfriends said it was only about sex, but that
the movie is really so much more. One clip is a son
and dad watching the film, but the son jumps to cover
his dad's eyes.

UK has the unique extras of cast and crew info,
a UK trailer that is more like an MTV type cut video.
A radio spot and a radio interview with the director.
3 song clips to promote the album.
A color bar test screen that ends up spinning like
a drugged out experience.
A version of the movie that lasts 1 min for people
under 17.
UK version has a nice booklet.

On my PC screen, I could not tell the difference
between the US version at 7.11 and the UK at 5.80.
Perhaps on larger screens it can be very noticeable?

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
I picked this up at Hollywood Video last night not realizing it was the EDITED RATED-R version. Is there anything of significance cut out? I'm kinda peeved, the label on the front of the box was obscured by a sticker.

Should I bring it back and rent it from another store (or buy it) or just watch the butchered copy?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Should I bring it back and rent it from another store (or buy it) or just watch the butchered copy?
Definitely return it and get the non-butchered version. The director (during a Q&A I attended) had a very dim view of the R-Rated version, which is why as noted above he made "A version of the movie that lasts 1 min for people
under 17."

Not to mention the fact that the R-Rated version doesn't have any of the extras.

Ted

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thank you Edwin for linking to my poor unfortunate little thread. ;)
Loved this movie a great deal! :emoji_thumbsup:
What really sucks is the fact that I wouldn't dare recommend this film to any of my family members as they never give foreign films the time of day, sad really. :frowning:
My love of films like these is what makes me sort of an outsider in my household. My mother would rather watch 'Days of Our Lives' than masterpieces like this. :frowning:
Ron, my man, I know that your a busy guy, but you simply must make time to check out Amores Perros, you won't regret it. :)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Has anybody actually watched the Canadian Alliance Atlantis version? Is the content and sound mix truly different than the MGM version, as the package would indicate? Bought mine almost a month ago, not opened, gotta return it very soon if I don't want to keep it. Thanks.

[Edit: I buy quite a lot of DVD's, and I am becoming slightly concerned with the de-contenting by Alliance Atlantis of DVD's for Canadian release that I have noticed recently, mainly for foreign films. And they charge more than the typical DVD costs too. It is difficult for me to believe that it is uneconomical for the U.S. release to also be released in Canada as is the norm, but there could be some licensing restrictions on the foreign content (though aren't 99% of all films foreign to Canada). As a consumer, the only recourse I seem to have to show displeasure is to not purchase their release, but I'd rather do something more constructive to ensure future content quality. Any ideas?]

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Crap, I also rented the R rated version and watched it last night. Anyone have a list of scenes that are cut out of the R rated version?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
6 nipples, several bared thighs, two sets of male buttocks, a penis, and various instances of the kind of "motion" that gets MPAA types all scissor-happy.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Ron, After your recommendation of Amelie (a film that I really enjoyed, but passed over at the theater as well). I will end up purchasing this film. Besides I like movies that get away from the Hollywood formula. ;)

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
The US R1 and UK R2 discs have the same commentary tracks.
US w/o subtitles, UK with subtitles.
Enrique B Chamorro's quote above is the only one I've seen to take a definitive stance on any differences between the R2 and R1 commentary.

I've seen others mention Alfonso Cuaron's participation in the R2 commentary as evidence that it differs from the R1 commentary. Does anyone else know for sure if the R2 and R1 commentaries are the same except for the subtitles? Would they really have a commentary with the director and actors for one region, and record a different commentary with only the actors for another region for basically simultaneous releases?

Do those who've heard the R2 commentary feel it's worthwhile? The first few minutes of the R1 sure sounds like a fun commentary.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
I wasn't THAT impressed with this film. It's not the direction or story that draws you in - both are quite plain really. What gets you is the frankness of the language and the sex. It's essentially what real people say and do unfiltered by Hollywood suits.

Amelie is a far, far, far, far, far, better film.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I rented the unrated US version and listen to the
commentary track and then jumped to the UK version.
The two commentary tracks for at least the first few
minutes have the same speakers, thus my assumption
that they are the same commentary tracks.

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
Was there any determination that the R1 DVD was defective due to the missing English subtitles for the commentary? Or was this intentional?

I borrowed the R rated version from a friend and thought the movie was excellent. Now I want to buy the unrated version, but would like to know if this issue was resolved.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I wasn't THAT impressed with this film"

Me neither. I got rid of my Unrated copy the day after seeing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks