What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: X2: X-Men United w/ Screenshots!! (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
How can people working in a music/dvd store not understand how to open up a package without damaging it?
Oh they do, they just don't care. Sigh.

I can't believe they would cause so much trouble over exchanging the disc. The fullscreen disc is defective merchandise, so you have every right to exchange it for a properly functioning copy (widescreen). That thing about copyright infringement is just silly; it's why they only do exchanges on opened titles, but that's exactly what you were doing. Stupid people really irritate me sometimes.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Finally picked up my copy of X2 this past Monday evening and have been going through the extras first. So far from what I've seen they look great, definitely on par with X-Men 1.5!

As for the earlier comment of what could be added to it if they did an X-Men 2.5, here's what I'd like to see:

- a new extended cut of the film with the additional scenes added back into the film via seamless branching (not the way they did it on X-Men 1.5)
- the option of viewing either the theatrical or the extended cut
- outtakes and gag shots, including the gag reel shot with Hugh Jackman running nude through the mansion and running into a group of wolf-calling ladies (among them James Marsden's mother!): perhaps they could be done as Easter eggs similar to the humorous Easter egg on the first X-Men disc
- all the TV spots and web interstitials for the film, including the WB's preview spot that was seen on "Smallville" (why X-Men 1.5 got the TV spots and interstitials and X2 didn't is beyond me)
- a behind-the-scenes look at the filming of X3 and a preview trailer to X3 when it becomes available

There was also, in the recent issue of Movie FX DVD Magazine, a brief featurette at a look at some of the other make-up effects for X2, including the make-up artist describing how Hugh Jackman saved the make-up budget a bit of money by letting his hair and sideburns grow out for the film. That could be a nice little extra to include on a 2.5 disc.

And how about a free movie ticket to X3? That, too, would be sweet!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I just saw pics from the X2 DVD release party.

Got to meet Anna Paquin and Rebecca Romijn.....:eek:

I hate everyone from HTF who went:frowning:

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I got a new copy of X2 and am happy to report that the bizarre video jumpiness is gone. Also, I found the movie significantly more enjoyable upon second viewing, although still a bit on the flat and clinically cold side. Not being distracted by the constant "skips" probably helped.

Dan

p.s. Why the heck can't I find this thread in the review archives??? I had to go back to one of my email notifications to find the link to it.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Dan, I believe the thread was taken out of the archive section so we can post to it again.

Geo

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, that makes sense. I didn't realize that's how the review threads are handled. For some reason, I thought they were dual listed here and in their own forum, with both being open for searching and posting.

Dan

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Saw this tonight. I forgot how dark the film actually is! A lot of scenes have faces completely in shadows! Or is this just my setup?
Nice transfer though. The sound was amazing in dts!
Anyway I was wondering If strykker is targeting all mutants why wasn't his own son affected by it? If he would have been affected he couldn't finish his job!!

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Given that Stryker says even Xavier was afraid of Jason you could possibly make the leap that perhaps he was able to be unaffected by Xavier at all, even absent that "neural inhibitor."

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm also thinking that because Jason was the mutant "girl" that was present with Xavier, that it would make sense that he wouldn't be searching for "her", since she's right there. Basically, Jason was making Xavier push hard enough to kill (which he mentions to Wolverine when he's searching for Nightcrawler.)

Jason

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Hmm, I took a simpler assumption, that Jason would be killed along with the rest of the mutants. It was obvious that Stryker had no affection for him, I figured that sacrificing Jason to kill all mutants was a trade he'd be happy to make.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
Jason was not affected by Xavier's search though, and all the other mutants were.

Another vote for "He was inside Cerebro."

Fredric_James

Auditioning
Kick a.. review, one of the best I've read on the net! Keep up the good work. Saw your Home Theater pictures; very nice speaker system!!! Love your subwoofer, I have a Klipsch 15 incher myself. Have to spend the bucks for the sub. Read your DVDs and you don't have The Hunt For Red October (awesome sound effects) but have From Justin To Kelly (rated worst movie on Internet Movie Database); what's up with that? Sorry just having fun with you. I know it's for your kids. Again, great movie review!!!

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ironically enough I was anticipating the X2 DVD like it was the second coming but by the time it arrived my excitement for it diminished upon subsequent viewings. Meanwhile I was mildly anticipating the Two Towers extented edition having thought it was a 'good' movie when I first saw it in the theater, but now I can't stop watching it.

IMO, X2 seems flat and and uninvolving compared to the fully-engrossing and captivating TT:EE. I still like X2 but I won't be watching it near as much as I'll be watching Two Towers(X2: about 4-5 viewings, TT:EE about 8-9 viewings so far). Nightcrawler's attack on the White House is still a major kick-ass sequence though. Sometimes I put in the disc just to watch that part.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
Gary, I hear ya. I liked X2, but far less than expected. Very average movie, in my opinion. I know very few share that opinion, but it's nice to know of at least one other. :)

And yes, the opening Nightcrawler scene was definitely the highlight of the movie for me. In fact, I'd probably have to say it was the only one that wasn't a letdown.

Rather than try to recreate the back and forth here, here's a somewhat more detailed "review" of the movie on my behalf, for anyone interested:

http://www.aota.net/forums/showthrea...176#post102176

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks