What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: X2: X-Men United w/ Screenshots!! (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
But that's not possible! I watched Jean sacrifice herself to the rushing waters from the dam to save her comrades. There is no possible way she could have survived!!

:D

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Excellent review, Adam! Definitely one DVD I look forward to adding to my collection! I enjoyed X-Men 1.5 thoroughly, so this should be an equally enjoyable experience.

One question, though, I have to ask: why no TV spots? They had 'em on X-Men 1.5, but not here? Something ain't right about that.

Between LOTR: Two Towers EE and X2, it's gonna be a sweet November! :)

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Yeah, I noticed a lot of similarities too, and I think that Singer was either really inspired or channeling Wrath of Khan while making this movie.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I'm very pleased with this release. I thought the DTS rocked and that opening Nightcrawler scene, oh man, as awesome as I remember. I don't have X-Men 1.5, so I was thinking of getting the digipak. However, I thought it'd look better in my collection to have X-Men, X-Men 1.5, and X2 lined up in order instead of X-Men and then X-Men Collection, followed by X3, which'll probably be in a keepcase too. I'm not too big a fan of digipaks anyway. They don't seem as indestructible as keepcases. Whoa sorry, major rambling going on there. :D

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Hey, nice to see this thread come back to life. If you really want to notice the DTS vs. DD difference, play them back to back in the scene where Storm and Jean first meet Nightcrawler in the church. :)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Hey!!!

So the finally brought this one back from the dead! Well that's good news!

I just picked up my copy for Best Buy today so I'll be watching this in a couple of hours. I was leaning towards the Digipack myself, but thought I'd wait until the 3rd one was released...I'll probably wait a while for that!

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I have heard that this set comes in a Digipak. I don't know whether that is generally true or not, but I bought my copy at Costco, and it came in a slimline keep case.

Can't wait to spin it up.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
went back and re-read your review Adam.
i whole-heartedly agree with your estimation of the a/v.
its as good a looking/sounding disc as i could have hoped.
in some ways better as i thought the print in the theater looked a little grainier.
the disc has a nice, glossy sheen to it.

only noticed a couple of instances of EE (most noticeable was when Stryker was making his way to the copter outside).
but its so minor its a complete non issue-imo.

the audio mix was very faithful to what i remembered the theatrical experience being.
robust use of surrounds throughout the film and with the most prominent use of LFE at the climax.

the film might not be everybody elses cup of tea, but for me this is as good as this format can get at this point in time( although i still have to admit that OUATITW presents a much more 3 dimensional picture)
haven't watched the extras yet, but will be looking forward to that soon.

i had wondered, coming out of the summer, if i hadn't been too quick to over-praise X2, since i was anticipating it so highly and, at the very least, it didn't suck.
after watching it again last night, the pacing in the 3 rd act still seems a little 'off' to me yet the film is just crammed wall to wall with so many scenes a comic book geek like myself has wanted to see all his life.
yeah there are elements that are derivative (or an homage) of STII, but man-oh-man the way the characters are used here-
one great scene (large and small) after another.
i could geek-gush about the disc and film all day, but might as well just thank Fox for splendid job on this title on its first time out the gate.
Bravo!

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Damn!

Wel first thing, I got it home opened it up, and the disc holder is broken! The disc itself it ok, but the holder is crapped out.

Do you think I could go replace at BB??

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I watched this last night and loved it just like the theater. I was able to go through some of the special features and found most of them interesting. I thought the costume design lady was kind of funny.

I didn't compare the DD track to DTS yet, but I usually just pick DTS when I can anyway.

Ok, guys go enjoy your X2 DVDs!
Geo

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
something i think i noticed while watching the film again

i have to wonder if the president isn't some kind of mutant as well-maybe the traits are somewhat still a bit recessive- notice when Cerebro is turned on the humans, all the figures that are completely incapacitated and writhing in pain, while the president is shown to be just slumped back in his chair...and it almost looks like he simply had a passing headache.
later when the broadcast is interupted and he is given Strykers files, he makes a look almost as if the files contained incriminating evidence almost as if the report may be identifying him.
although he say "i don't resond well to threats", rather than "i don't respond well to blackmail", i still think there seem to be some clues here
otherwise, i would expect a human in this situation to clamp down even harder on mutants after they've shown a willingness to use intimidation- regardless of whether they were unjustly framed prior

just a thought

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Stellar review for a crazy good dvd! Question, did anyone else have a problem with a security sticker that came on the inside of the case underneath the insert? I don't know if it's because I got it from Circuit City or what, but it took a long-ass time and a good amount of Goo Gone to remove completely.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Very interesting, Paul.

That's similar to the first X-Men movie regarding Senator Kelly's death IMO. Especially when Magneto asks Storm, "Are you sure you saw what you saw?" I am wondering how many things they are using to set-up possible sequel storylines. Or how many don't mean anything and are just us fans guessing?

Geo

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
All I know is I wish I was at that release party. I'm so jealous of Ron & Steve! Meeting and getting pics with Rebecca Romijn-Stamos ... damn. :D (That being said, it's about Hugh Jackman's haircut....)

Sorry. I know I got sidetracked. :D Lookin' forward to this DVD! I've only seen this flick once, so I look forward to a more in-depth viewing or three. ;)

Cliff C

Grip
This is a great dvd!

Did anyone else take advantage of the free bobble head offer from Futureshop?

I can't believe they gave me a full-size bobble head of Wolverine just for preordering!

Kami

Screenwriter
Cliff C, yeah the bobble heads are great. I got a free Terminator 3 Ahnold one when I bought T3 at Music World....I didn't even pre-order! They just put it in my bag! Didn't expect that at all....welcome surprise :)

As for X2...awesome transfer! Up there with Matrix Reloaded. My favorite comic book movie to boot. :)

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the box set today, but it listed contents as X-Men and X2. Can someone tell me whether the "X-Men" in the two movie set is the original or the "1.5"? Thanks!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Chris Tedesco-

I had a similar problem, only worse. I had to return the 4 disk set TWICE because at least two the DVDs had popped off the spindels and the DVDs were scratched so bad that they wouldn't play on my player. For the third set, one of the DVDs was off the spindle (I openned it in the store before I left because of this problem.), but luckily it wasn't scratched significantly.

*sigh*

I suspect they may get a lot of returns for this set if they don't modify the hubs so the DVDs are less likely to pop off and also, so the spindels don't break quite so easily.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks