What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
anthony said:
One note about the image: it fixes a "censored" bit from the old disc - sort of. Early in the original movie, Baby Herman gooses a woman under whose skirt he walks. For the prior DVD, the character's arm was redrawn to appear at his side. Happily, the VISTA version restores Herman's arm to its appropriately crude placement. However, the new DVD digitally removes Herman's finger as it pointed toward the woman's privates.
if you mean another review could you please provide the link so we can read it too?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ahhh, this brings back memories... I was just trying to find the tape of 'WFRR' my dad recorded off our LD... To no avail :frowning:

Too bad my local DVD rental place only has 'new' movies :frowning: (its a local momNpop place), so i doubt ill be seeing it on their shelves anytime soon... as for purchase? I dont have the $ :frowning:

LennyP

Supporting Actor
It would be great if the second disc of the set was released separately as that's all I'm interested in, widescreen transfer, commentary, and all those awesome extras. The first disc is rather useless.

Michael Coate

Stunt Coordinator
A minor quibble...that I feel compelled to correct:

the entire film was made in VistaVision 8 perf because of all the compositing.
The entire film was not shot in VistaVision! I mentioned this in another "Roger Rabbit" thread (a rather contentious thread at that) a couple months ago.

While much of the film was originated in the larger format (generally the material to be composited), some shots were originated in conventional four-perf 35mm. One can see a glimpse of a Panaflex if you scroll back up to Ron's review and look at the frame above the frame that shows the VistaVision camera.

From the July 1988 issue of American Cinematographer:

"Although the picture is being released in standard 35mm (as well as in 70mm blowups for some key locations) about 80% of the English footage [footage shot on soundstages in England as opposed to the California footage] was photographed in VistaVision because it included blue screen elements that eventually would be composited with cartoon elements. This permits optical duping of highest quality, the larger size of the original compensating for any generational loss."

"All original photography intended for compositing was photographed in the eight-perforation horizontal VistaVision format, while the normal action photography was done in the regular four-perf format."

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It would be great if the second disc of the set was released separately as that's all I'm interested in, widescreen transfer, commentary, and all those awesome extras. The first disc is rather useless.
What about the three Roger Rabbit shorts on disc one?;) Personally, I woulda just dumped the fullscreen version for more extras.:D

James Reader

Screenwriter
It would be great if the second disc of the set was released separately as that's all I'm interested in, widescreen transfer, commentary, and all those awesome extras. The first disc is rather useless
That sounds like the upcoming UK edition! (Which, it must be said, also features the 3 Roger Rabbit shorts).

Sadly, the price is approximately the same as the US release, so it looks like once again America is getting the better deal :frowning:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I cant believe ppl are getting all bent out of shape over a few frames of animation and not buying whats looks like a great DVD release. Oh well there loss I guess
An excellent review! I already have the CAV LD version & I have this title on pre-order. I pre-ordered in order to get the extras, but I'm considering supporting Rain's position on censorship by deleting my pre-order & staying with my LD. My view on censorship is like the old "Give them an inch & they will take a mile" scenario. If you don't take the studios to task for censoring a few frames, the next time they may censor a few minutes or more.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if this is going to be bi-lingual packaging in Canada? I have the Signs Vista Series and it doesn't. Would be a shame to wreck that cover art.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I've posted a picture somewhere in the other RR thread that shows the cover to be bilingual... unfortunately. Take a look over there, here's a direct link:

Bilingual Cover

Chris

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Great review Ron! 3 shorts on disc 1 is worth the price of the disc. I had never seen them and they are great:)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This wil be added to my colleciton soon as well. Funny because I too did not like it when it came out and I was a young lad of 22.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Please tell me that they did the same as Monsters Inc, Count Of Monte-Cristo and Lilo & Stich for the covers...

2 Versions, one English only and one billingual.

Jason Bovberg

Stunt Coordinator
The theatrical trailer appears as an easy-to-find easter egg on Disc 1, and interestingly, the uncensored Baby Herman gag is intact within the trailer.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The theatrical trailer appears as an easy-to-find easter egg on Disc 1, and interestingly, the uncensored Baby Herman gag is intact within the trailer.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised that Bob Hoskins is referred to an an "unknown" actor. Certainly his body of work on this side of the pond was well known and respected by 1988. Also he'd appeared as the lead in "The Long Good Friday" which I believe was not totally unknown in the US.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
I got the Canadian version (I think) on Friday. The cover and all materials are not bilingual.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I got the Canadian version (I think) on Friday. The cover and all materials are not bilingual.
Hmmm, I saw a picture of the Canadian cover that was bilingual. Could you e-mail me and let me know where you purchased it from? (Do not name them here as streetdate-breakers aren't to be mentioned).

Thanks!

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
I have been waiting for a re-release of this for years, I am so glad I put off buying it. I am disappointed that its going to have the censored footage, but I probably wouldn't even notice it...besides the movie is too good to pass up. This is a good as its going to get folks (until the HD-DVD release anyways).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks