What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Vanilla Sky" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I just saw this movie yesterday and I'll echo Blu's comments: WOW! I had heard nothing about it when I saw it so I had no idea what it was about. Damn, what a wierd flick. I liked it quite a bit and I think I might pick it up when I get the scraps together.

-Marshall

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
I will have to disagree 100% with what Ron said about this movie. It simply was one of the best films I've seen in the past year. In a single word, awesome, due to the entire way the film is presented. There is nothing confusing about the film at all if you pay close attention when watching it. Also, the TV sets play the same subject/clip in the movie which gives one a clue as to what is happening to him.
In the end, an absolutly fantastic film that I would recommend to most. :emoji_thumbsup:
Jeffrey

MatthiasK

Auditioning
Steven Phipps,
That song at the end is called Njosnavelin (Nothing Song)by an Icelandic? band called Sigur Ros.
I also love this movie too, btw :)
Wasn't as mind-bending as some friends told me. I thought it had a pretty simple concept, which was beautifully told!

Another vote for this film. I usually agree with Ron's reviews and always look forward to them, but I really did like this film. I now want to go rent Abre Los Ojos to see the original also.

Paul Bartlet

Stunt Coordinator
Another thumbs up here, I rather enjoyed this film. It had me thinking about it for a day or two after viewing it. I myself did not accept the explination of the "tech support" guy. I do plan on viewing this at least one or two times more, so I'll purchase this one. Rented on Ron's review. Sorry to see there wasn't more discussion on it in the "Movies" section, I like reading many opinions of a movie that deserves it.

Martin_Frohlich

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, maybe people can help answer some questions. I saw this movie last week and not so sure the ending is as obvious as some would think (or is it?). Here are four possible scenarios I think you could take away from the movie:

1)Cruise did kill himself after the accident by overdosing on medication and then was in cryo freeze until the very end of the movie, then he wakes up.

2)He went into a coma after the car accident and everything after the accident is a dream like state where he subconsciously has dreams that reflect his real life and some of his short comings (greed,power, money, love, hate,etc..).

3)The whole movie was a dream and when he wakes up at the end that says “Open your eyes” is his girl friend waking him up. Like number 2, this was him subconsciously reflecting on his life.

A 4th version that came up in a discussion with a friend is that the whole thing was his friends novel that was written about his life.

I think #1 is the widely accepted answer but I am not so sure it is the only explanation.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
#4 was an idea that Cameron Crowe had that apparently Amenabar didn't think of until Crowe mentioned it to him. Amenabar happened to like the idea a lot. This is revealed at the end of the commentary track on the Vanilla Sky DVD.

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
Rented this movie last night and thought it was merely OK. IMO, It does kind of drag as Ron suggested in his review but I'll probably give it another viewing before I have to return it. Maybe I'll get more out of it the second time around. In some ways, V. Sky reminds me of Mullholand Drive although I much preferred the latter.

Bob

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I also saw this movie recently and here is what I said in the Discussion topic:

OK! Just saw this movie for the first time on DVD and of course this is my first time that I come into this topic! Well I enjoyed this movie and later found out that it’s a remake of a supposedly superior movie! Seeing the original will be on my list of things to do. Frankly I feel guilty and bad a little! Why on earth they would feel the need to copy (notice copy, not a remake!) a “great” recent movie! It feels arrogant and unfair to steal someone else’s originality and work and try to pass it as theirs! At the moment I have the feeling that I have read a translated book! When you do that, you never say what a great story the translator created! So I enjoyed immensely Vanilla Sky with no thanks to TC or CC!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
1)Cruise did kill himself after the accident by overdosing on medication and then was in cryo freeze until the very end of the movie, then he wakes up.

2)He went into a coma after the car accident and everything after the accident is a dream like state where he subconsciously has dreams that reflect his real life and some of his short comings (greed,power, money, love, hate,etc..).

3)The whole movie was a dream and when he wakes up at the end that says “Open your eyes” is his girl friend waking him up. Like number 2, this was him subconsciously reflecting on his life.

A 4th version that came up in a discussion with a friend is that the whole thing was his friends novel that was written about his life.
that is what i expected beginning with the car crash.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
I give the movie 7.5/10

I think that it's normal that the movie is "confusing". When u dream, sometimes you don't know if it's real, or just a dream. And often, your dreams just jump from past to future to past to present..

The movie played like a dream.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Could someone please tell me if the Leftfield music video is a mish-mash of clips from the film, or is it the award-winning Chris Cunningham vid featuring the guy walking through the streets of Manhattan, losing limbs as he walks? If its the first then I'll wait for the Director's Cut next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks