What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Twin Peaks: The First Season SE DVD" - REVIEW UPDATED PAGE 2 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Hey, Ron, think of this -- when it originally aired, not only were we NOT expecting a cliffhanger at the end of the first season, but after we were walloped with it, there were weeks of uncertainty as to whether or not ABC were going to pick up Twin Peaks for a second season.

Lemme tell you, that was rough.

Of course, now with waiting for Artisan to announce season two (which I suspect will be broken into multiple sets like the laserdiscs were), you get an approximation of what we went through. However, you know that the answers are out there...we were just hoping...wishing...falling...floating...

I cannot wait to get my grubby mitts on this set.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Of course, now with waiting for Artisan to announce season two (which I suspect will be broken into multiple sets like the laserdiscs were),

I don't know anything about LD versions, but in an online interview (I forget where; the link to it was somewhere here on HTF, IIRC) they basically say that they will separate some of the Season 2 episodes and release them as a "Season 3" box set.

Even though TP never had a S3.

So the correct order of viewing will end up being:
  1. Imported Pilot DVD
  2. Season 1 Box Set
  3. Season 2 Box Set
  4. "Season 3" Box Set
  5. TP:FWWM DVD

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
When it was split into "three seasons", did they end the second with the episode that closed with Cooper and the gang in the woods ruminating over the nature of evil (after the killer had been revealed, of course)?

That would be perfect, I think. I'm sure I'd get the rest of the episodes for completion's sake (plus there's some excellent stuff there), but, for me, this is the point where the story came to a perfect conclusion.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for warning us about the documentary thingy. I really NEVER watch ANY extra's until I have viewed a movie or film in full. Thanks for the warning. It would sure not be as fun to watch after finding out stuff that you should only find out in the end. I can't explain what I liked about the Twin Peaks TV series. Sometimes I just loved watching people walk around in those cozy buildings. Anyways....I am going to pre-order that sucker before I realize they have to backorder it!!

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
I know you always look out for us and I also know that virtually every other studio seems to be really looking out for us, and cares what we think (Thank you Peter and Martin). That was why it bothers me to know that WB has this piece of art. Look how they skewed Cats and Dogs pre-orders with the WS and PS. I shudder to mention Wonka. We shouldn't have to be doing this to them. :frowning:
Oh well, I have no real desire to bash Warner's (even though they are owned by AOL) I just want to see my stuff done proper. That and due to finances I can't afford the Twin Peaks set, so redirecting my anger seems a healthy way to vent.
Thanks for always keeping the collector's and enthusiast's best interests at heart. We appreciate it.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I've finished watching season one.

Wait 'till you guys watch this with the new transfers and listen to it in DTS. Friggin incredible!!!!!!!

Big difference from my recordings off Bravo. I truly believe that us fans could not ask for a better presentation.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
My set arrived today and I just have to echo the positive reviews. TP looks and sounds fantastic!! Sound is so important in Lynch's work and listening to the DTS mix is a revelation! Great work, Artisan! Bring on Season 2.
And, Warner.... Release the Pilot, Dammit!!! :angry:

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Darn it! I have to get the Region 0 Pilot! We Canucks won't get the Twin Peaks Season 1 box set in stock until Dec 26 (at Future Shop if we're lucky)! Mine is pre-ordered and waiting my DVD playback :)

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Since I first got a DVD player in early 1998, Twin Peaks has been at the top of my list of most wanted titles.
Thursday evening I received shipping notification that my Twin Peaks Season 1 order - placed with an online retailer - had shipped. That night at a local store I saw they had put this set out on the shelf early. It took every ounce of my willpower not to buy a second copy, just so I could spend the weekend in Twin Peaks.
Well, last night, my copy of Twin Peaks Season 1 finally arrived I just wanted to add yet another glowing review to the list.
I’ve watched the entire series at least once a year since it first aired in 1990-91. Unfortunately, I never owned the LDs, and I have been watching video cassettes recorded in EP mode. From the opening credits on these new DVDs, I knew I was in for a spectacular presentation. The green and brown typeface used for the credits was vibrant and colorful, not the washed out and dull mess I am familiar with.
It seems as if I have been watching the series through a layer of gauze all these years. The picture on these new discs is rock solid, free of blemishes and more colorful. My wife, who had only seen my (now) very old and faded tapes was also blown away with the new life this series has on disc.
The DTS track was wonderful, and the depth of the sound seemed to make the scary parts a little bit more haunting.
The extras are as strange as the series and were much more than I expected for a show that has been off of the air for 10 years. My only complaint is that the menus are a bit cumbersome and in some cases problematic for my Sony 7700.
For instance, I noted that the scene selection option does not work at all – but for a show like this, I don’t really expect that to be an issue. Perhaps David Lynch had them disabled on purpose. :D
Artisan has exceeded my expectations in every way with this set. I cannot wait for season 2.

Britton

Screenwriter
The scene selection is set up in a very weird manner, but I think it might work for you. When I chose scene selection, all I got was a green rectangle that was split into panes. I hit the enter button, and then I was able to select each specific pane, which corresponded to each chapter. Maybe if you do what I did, you'll be able to select the chapters. Whoever did the navigation for these menus should be flogged. Otherwise, this is an A++ effort!

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished watching the first 3 episodes of Twin Peaks for the first time.
I'm hooked. :)
The problem is I don't know how much longer I can wait to find out who killed Laura. All the Twin Peaks websites on the net are a constant temptation. I'm only halfway through the first season, and the anticipation is already strong. Could anyone make an educated guess about how much longer it will be before Artisan releases Season 2 on DVD?

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I'd originally ignored the announcements regarding the release of Season One. Ron's review reminded me how much I'd enjoyed the series originally. And thanks to a failing memory, I cannot recall the identity of the murderer, and numerous quirky plot developments. :b

The information in this thread also led me to e-bay and my first (and maybe last) Hong Kong dvd purchase.

As I watched the pilot and episode one over the past two nights, I realized how smooth the transition is from the pilot to the Artisan discs as the storyline didn't miss a beat. It really is a shame that most viewers will only see the quick summary of the pilot that is provided at the beginning of episode one. I am surprised that WB (if they still have the rights) is missing this opportunity to make a few bucks.

Now, let's get Season Two.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I've got a copy of the pilot on order from E-Bay and can't wait for it to get here. Did you have problems getting yours? Just curious :)
Thanks
Jim

Mike Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
After suffering through the VHS EP version all these years, the DVD is literally a sight for sore eyes. I did rewatch my VHS of the pilot again, and have to reiterate that watching the pilot is a must for Twin Peaks lovers. First off, it is one of the few episodes actually directed by Lynch. I don't think I'm giving anything away here when I say that the scene when Laura's parents are talking to each on the phone and the father is told by Sheriff Truman of his daughter's death is absolute magnificence. One of the most haunting scenes I've ever watched on film.

I must also comment on the angelic voice of Julie Cruise. Angelo Bedalamenti's music and David Lynch's words are beautifully interpreted by Cruise. She is so NOT today's style. She holds each note out without going up and down the scales ad nauseum as is the current fashion. There is no doubt that Lynch has an affinity for the sounds of the early sixties girl groups. If anyone is taken by her, she put out a CD called Floating Into the Night that has the Twin Peaks music and a cut from Blue Velvet.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Jim,

There are several vendors on e-bay. I ordered from "ladywan." I received immediate e-mail after my purchase indicating the dvd would ship the following day. I received it one week later (with Christmas intervening). The first season box from Amazon took several days longer to arrive from Nevada.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Thanks Bill, I ordered mine from a vendor called tojenny222. They had a good ranking so I went for it and sent may payment via PayPal. I did all of this on 12-26 so hopefully I'll have it in about a week and will start watching the set from the start. Ron if you are following this did you get your pilot disc yet? If so what did you think?

Thanks

Jim

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Wow! A Ronald review that I actually agree with! I felt the same way he did. I rented this (reluctantly) at the nearest Hastings video store. I love the movie but have never been able to get more than ten minutes into a TV episode. The first episode didn't catch my interest until the last five minutes or so. By the end of the second or third episode I was hooked. I know who the murderer is because I'm a big fan of the movie but it doesn't ruin the TV show at all! In fact it makes the serial more interesting and adds some extra depth to the story. The best three bucks I've spent in awhile!

I hear the second season sucks because of network TV involvment with the storylines so I'll probably just stick with season one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks