What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Training Day" - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
An excellant film IMO! Despite the fact that I first saw the movie at a sneak preview and some jerk next to me got up 5 or 6 times it didn't deter me from enjoying it. It would seem director Antoine Fuqua is moving up the "film food chain", a far cry from "The Replacement Killers". I also noticed the impeccable transfer on the dvd, its transfers like this when I'm glad I have progressive scan ability! The Dolby 5.1 is great but I could certainly tell that it wasn't dts because I had to crank it up louder than usual in order to get the same volume I would from a less compressed dts track. A minor point, one that's a long debate unto itself. I was certainly surprised to hear about nominations for Denzel & Ethan, whether or not they have a chance is another matter. Regardless, I can't wait to listen to the commentary, Antoine seems a very smart, down to earth type of guy.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I watched the deleted scenes last night- to bad a few of these were cut especialy the the whistling at the women and dogstory scenes.
Two other good Denzel performances were in Mo Better Blues and Hurricane.But to this day one of my favorite roles for him was in the 80s movie Carbon Copy where George Segal played his father. "I have to have the only black son who cant play basketball" :laugh: :laugh: Some REALLY funny stuff in this movie.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I usually don't watch DVD's I buy right away, but I wanted to give this another look. I had seen it in the theater, being a huge fan of Denzel, and wanted to see if he was indeed Oscar-worthy in this role.
Come to find out that he was, and I won't argue against Ethan either. But this movie is a very solid story, with a point to everything that happens. Antoine Fuqua did an incredible job setting everything up and lensing it. While I must chime in and say the last 1/4 does not deliver the way the first 3/4 did, it doesn't ruin the effect; it merely dilutes it a little.
This movie would have been far less powerful without Denzel in the role of Alonzo. He had to have an overwhelming charisma and presence to buy it. He and Ethan were tremendous, but Denzel's best moments aren't the bombastic ones, but the ones where he is being a little introspective, and maybe doesn't like what he sees. Watch his quiet moments...they are special.
The deleted scenes are very good (although bad quality). I can see why they were cut however...they almost humanized Alonzo's character to the point where the audience might not be willing to go to the end.
Not all of it rings true, but the two leads are stellar, and the direction is quite good. Fuqua has earned a free pass with his next film. Let's see what he does with it;)
Take care,
Chuck

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
I purchased this DVD as soon as it came out at BB ($15 not bad). I really enjoyed the movie and only have 1 comment and 1 issue.
The comment I have is the scene when Ethan (Hoyt) was about to get BLOWN up in the bath tub, I would not think that ANYONE would be interested in GOING THRU YOUR POCKETS before you shoot them, (uuuhhmm..Let me see if he's got some cash in his pockets BEFORE i blow him up...:frowning: ), not to mention THEY GOT a wad of cash just before they decided to blow him up. Just my .02 cents.
Issue: I seem to have a SLIGHT RED GLOW (can be seen on the top and bottom black bars on certain scenes), is this a PLAYER problem?the actual DVD? or TV? maybe better S-video cable? This is the first time I noticed it.
Thanks
Angelo

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Impeccable DVD transfer - the audio visual was a treat to behold.
The performances from Hawke and Washington are razor sharp and a pure joy to watch; like everyone before me has stated however, the last 15 minutes really kind of put a damper on the overall effect of the movie. I think that if it had of ended the right way, this probably could have been one of 2001's best.
Despite the ending, this is still a must see picture :emoji_thumbsup:

Training Day being Highly Recommended - I bought a copy on this recommendation.I was very disappointed. Training Day is a renter. Good movie but to be viewed once.:thumbsdown:

Ash Williams

Second Unit
Training Day is by far one of the best films that I have seen in awhile. Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke are the perfect pair for those roles. If Denzel doesn't win the Oscar it will be a shame. :star: :star: :star: :star:

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
One thing that I noticed about this movie is that, in one way, it didn't play to the cliche. For instance, when They are robbing Roger and Hawke's character is accused of being a Fed. This brought a totally unexpected angle into the film, and I really started to wonder if he could be a Federal officer sent to bust Alonzo. A lesser film would've pulled this twist in the end, but Training Day kept Hawke as he seemed; a little fish in a big pond.

On the spoilers in reviews thing...it's my belief that, as the writer, it's the responsibility of the author not to give any spoiling info anywhere in the review, even in deleted scenes. As Edwin said, it's perfectly easy to talk about scenes in a movie without spoiling them. It may be "common sense" to skip over the deleted scenes section, but my common sense tells me that a good writer will not spoil the film he/she is reviewing for the reader. Sometimes people skip over something they're reading, or their eyes jump to a random spot, and they could be spoiled. It's all about thinking ahead.

A prime example of author stupidity is a DVD review I once read that revealed the identity of Keyser Soze in The Usual Suspects. I hadn't seen The Usual Suspects yet, and when I read the spoiler I flipped out because I knew his identity was a mystery in the film. The movie's still great, but the guessing game involved was taken away from me.

Anyways, Ron didn't even do this.....what he wrote was something that seemed like a spoiler but wasn't, so that's great.

-Tom

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Excellent Movie, beautiful transfer. :emoji_thumbsup: To be honest I really am not a big fan of movies that make me feel uncomfortable. This one made me feel that way, yet I was compelled to find out what would happen.
I still find it hard to believe that this movie takes place in only one day. (i.e. Training "Day"). :star: :star: :star: :star:
Jon

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I watched this the other day and I thought it was an outstanding transfer. I want to watch the movie again, as I think Alonzo was smarter than I thought as I was watching the first time. I give the movie :star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: . This may go up with another viewing.
I thought Denzel Washington was great (and believable) as the evil and cunning Alonzo. I thought Ethan Hawk played the rookie, Jake, very well. I couldn't argue against either one picking up an Oscar in this year's field, though neither is my favorite to win.
A couple of questions I had:
How could Alonzo's team get away with killing Roger after they had spent so much time digging up the floor? Wouldn't the investigators clearly see that they had been there for some time, blowing their cover story that they were fired on when they entered the front door?

Highly recommended!

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Watched this one last nite, and I thought it was excellent! I think Denzel is going to get the Oscar for his performance. Hawke was great too, though I don't think he'll get the nod.

This movie didn't catch my attention when it was at the theater, but I am glad that I gave it a rent. I may have to pick this one up to watch it a few more times.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I thought the acting was superb. The story was :thumbsdown:. Way too over-the-top and completely unrealistic. There were moments that rose above the rest, but, for the most part, the film was simple. And I don't mean the good kinda "simple."
I really disagree with Roger Ebert's statement that
... Ayer's screenplay is ingenious in the way it plants clues and pays them off in unexpected ways, so that "Training Day" makes as much sense as movies like this usually can.
Many things didn't make sense. Some things fit too perfectly. The girl cousin's wallet thing was a real eye-roller. If this was supposed to be a gritty, realistic type film, they could have used a bit more realism.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
When the girl's wallet re surfaces near the end of the picture, I gotta say that I found it highly entertaining. I had completely forgotten about it , and when it comes up again my jaw hit the floor. I have to say that while may no be the most realistic plot device, it was still a nice way to give the audience a jolt.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I, too, believe that the story was over-the-top. However, the acting was very good; so good, that I enjoyed the movie and found it very entertaining; and, yes, the transfer was about as good it gets. I'm still happy for picking this up at $14.98. :)

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Well, Denzel got the nod at the Academy Awards for his performance in this movie.

Now, I REALLY have to see it! Along with Monster Ball!

... Greg :)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Matt Stone, I hear your still small voice in the darkness. And RON-P! We agree for once! YEAH! Washington/Costner! LOL!
[flame suit]
TRAINING DAY did nothing for me.
Things I hate:
- Denzel Washington -- who I know can act, because I've seen him do it before -- with a script in which such ghetto nonsense as "It's all good" is repeated over and over and over. You could play a drinking game for all the times he says "Dog" or "It's all good" in this movie. That is lazy and sucks -- the writer took the easy way out, and it was offensive. Denzel should know better, and he shouldn't be getting an Oscar for this kind of dreck.
- Ethan Hawke. SHAVE, man. SHAVE! No way he gets that hottie of a wife -- the best thing about the whole movie, in it for about a minute -- without showering! SHAVE! Your low rent Nick Nolte impression sucks.
- Phony movie LA rain, that wets the streets for effect but doesn't appear on the sidewalks or on the dirt by the side of the road.
- The microphone in the frame, during the scene where Ethan Hawke (a fine, fine actor I'm sure...) breaks into the girlfriend's house at the end. Watch for the boom to come down to Denzel's head in the bedroom. Sloppy sloppy! Not "an incredible job setting everything up and lensing it" as Chuck says earlier in this thread.
>> it does succeed at being the most entertaining film I have seen on DVD this year so far.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I was finally able to get my hands on a copy today at costco. Every other store in the area was sold out for the last week. I love the film. Denzel deserved that Best Actor award.

capt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks