What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Training Day" - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

Tyler Ruggeri

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this disc this afternoon and have to echo Ron's comments that the DVD transfer is astounding. Even better than Heist, which I watched last night, and the picture there was very impressive as well. The extras seemed agreeable enough although I didn't watch any, and the 5.1 really kicks on the action sequences as well as provides some great ambiance and atmosphere.

However, I'm surprised more people didn't have the problem I did with the film. Without going into major spoilers, I found the last 20-30 minutes absolutely ridiculous and far-fetched. One pretty implausible coincidence that gets Ethan Hawke out of trouble got me going, then in the final showdown he somehow turns into Superman. (SPOILER: Come on, guys. He fell from the terrace of an apartment building onto the hood of a car on his stomach. Then he gets thrown around while on the hood of the car, somehow avoiding falling off until the very end. The next cut is him striding up to the car to punch the driver. HUH?!) Also, a character gets shot and seems to show no sign of it. It certainly wasn't a deadly shot, but he would have at least fallen down!

The film was excellent up to that point for me, but towards the end it became a by-the-numbers action movie employing all the cliches it had avoided during the first 90 minutes.

Tyler Ruggeri

David Glenn

Second Unit
B00005JKEB.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I picked up Training day on dvd this past Friday (3/8) at my favorite NYC B&M who always streets early. I watched it over the weekend. Here's my review of the dvd:
As expected, Warner went with the Snapper case.
The menus were very simple and straight forward.
Video: Widescreen anamorphic 2.35:1 looked great. No noticible artifacts.
The DD 5.1 audio (English & French) was good as well. A few of the action sequences made some good use of the surrounds. Subtitles available: English, Spanish and French.
As for the extras, the alternate ending was raw footage (video & audio) and wasn't all that different from the actual ending. After watching the alternate ending, it made sense that they decided not to use it. It really wasn't believable.
Some of the other extras were the behind the scenes documentary, theatrical trailers and 2 music videos. I really enjoyed the deleted scenes (Never-before-seen footage
) but my favorite part of the disc was the Director commentary. Antoine Fuqua's commentary was very insightful and down to earth. It didn't go into the technical aspects of making the film. Instead his commentary focused on describing the experiences on the set as it pertained to the community (streets of L.A.), the actor's performances during specific scenes, and the level of realism they were trying to achieve. Through out the commentary he gave some really insightful information about street life.
I never saw this film when it was in the theater. It is now one of my all time favorite films. I was very pleased that the dvd provided such a great 1st time viewing experience for me.
Rating 1-5
Movie: 5
Audio: 4
Video: 4
Extras: 4
Replay: 4

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I just finished watching the film. I saw it in theaters but I think its better at home. One of the best transfers to date I would say and a great sound mix.

Gregory E

Second Unit
I just saw this film for the first time on DVD tonight and I thought it was great. I'm not usually a big D. Washington fan but I thought he gave an amazing performance in Training Day. As for the disc quality, I think the audio and video are top notch. I was a little dissapointed in the quality of the bonus scenes. Just rough cuts I guess. Still a great DVD though.:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Picked this up at Target tonight ($16.99) a bit skepticaly really...but I'm glad to read your review now Ron...and I'm glad I picked this one up! Watching it tomorrow!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
First, did no one notice the rings around the sunrise at the beginning of the movie? Does that not strike anyone as an exceptionally bad MPEG artifact?

Also, I'm with Tyler on the implausibility factor. The whole "coincidence" plot point was extremely far-fetched, and it served to derail the last act for me.

- Steve

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
just watched last night. I thought this movie was great! I wouldnt consider it a purchase, but definitely a great rental. I like how the emphasis wasnt so much on action, but more on the relationship between the 2 main characters..and if you watch the movie again (or just remember certain parts) you will realize more how sneaky denzel really is like:

when he calls smiley early in the movie, and all you really hear is "make sure the tub is clean" meaning he knew he was gonna drop of Hoyt from the beginning.

(i think that was early on, maybe towards the end..i dont remember)

again, i loved this movie!! If i saw if previewed for 9.99 at blockbusters Id probably pick it up!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'd like to rent it, but I cannot sit thru anything with Denzil washington anymore. His acting ability is nothing short of boring and bland. He is another Kevin Costner type actor where all you see is Denzil on the screen, not his character. A very mono-toned actor.
Nice review Ron, but this is one I'll pass on, unless someone can tell me Denzil came out of his bland acting shell for this movie.
Peace Out~:D

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Ron-P, I would describe the movie as bland, but Denzel's performance is anything but. He totally breaks his normal mold in this movie, for good or for bad.

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Ron, Denzel is anything but bland!!! Dude is a mad man in this f'n film! King Kong ain't got nothin on him! I am definetly glad I bought it sight unseen. NO REGRETS AT ALL :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
this is one I'll pass on, unless someone can tell me Denzil came out of his bland acting shell for this movie.
BLAND certainly ain't the word to describe Denzel in this movie. But saying that, I like hiim in everything I've ssen him in, so I clearly can't tell you that his performance is sufficiently different in Training Day to allow you to get past your bland-Denzel-barrier.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to rent it, but I cannot sit thru anything with Denzil washington anymore. His acting ability is nothing short of boring and bland. He is another Kevin Costner type actor where all you see is Denzil on the screen, not his character. A very mono-toned actor.
Denzel Washington, bland? This is the first I've ever heard. He is anything but bland in this movie.

Please, there is NO comparison between Costner and Washington. Washington has proven in this movie and others that he is a strong actor who makes an impact...more so in this movie than any other.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Every movie I have seen him in I have come away very unimpressed with his acting ability. He comes off as a very mono-tone, emotionless actor.
Maybe he is better in this movie. Guess I will give it a rental and find out.
After watching:
The Pelican Brief
Crimson Tide
Phildelphia
Fallen
and finally The Siege, he has left me with nothing impressionalbe or wanting more. He shows up, reads his lines and leaves. At least that is the way he comes off the screen to me.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

See Malcolm X and Glory

I liked Training Day to a point.I hated the last 10 minutes.I thought the end a single assassin shot would have worked better than the hail of bullets which I thought made it end like a bad action movie

David Paymer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Paymer
Nothing bland about Denzel, especially in Training Day. Damn, that was good. He has been in some pretty bland flicks (the ones Ron listed) but Malcolm X, Glory and A Soldier's Story are standouts. When he's challenged, the man wakes up on camera, as he did in Training Day. Glad I purchased this flick.

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Tottally differnt type of movie ron... How bout some trust for your brothers here? Would we ever lead you astray... besides dude its 14.99 at bb!!!! how can you beat that. I remember a few weeks ago you bought that crap the last musketeer or something and I know that was more expensive and a hunk of sh*t :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Guess I've been watching all his wrong movies. I'll give those listed a viewing. In fact, I think I'll rent Training Day, tonight.
I remember a few weeks ago you bought that crap the last musketeer or something and I know that was more expensive and a hunk of sh*t
Yeah:b but, I'm a sucker for movies like these.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I just watched it last night and I thought the video was excellent. Warner did a very nice job on the transfer--very, very clean picture with no ringing and rich, vibrant colors. The bitrate hovered between 5-5.5 mbps.

They sure did everything right video-wise on this one--I wish all new releases were this good.

The movie was entertaining as well. Without a lot of graphic violence it still captured the heart of those 'mean streets.' Both Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke gave great performances.

I highly recommend it.

Hey, David, you gave it a 4 for video. What constitutes a 5? IMO, the transfer was flawless.

(Viewed on a Mitsubishi WS-55908 with a Panasonic DVD-RP91)

DJ

paul_v

Second Unit
This was Denzel's best performance since Malcolm X. I forgot I was watching Denzel Washington...and when I forget who the actor is and totally get into the character then it's a great performance in my book. His performance needs to be seen to be believed. At least rent this movie and judge for yourself =)

And yeah the ending could have been less Hollywoodish but other than that a great film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks