What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Toy Story 10th Anniversary Edition: MUST BUY (2 Viewers)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Another stellar review, Dave!
Me and the fiancee just moved as well. We have an oppo which is AMAZING with our Optoma FP and a new optoma greywolf screen coming thurs. Sounds like a winner!

:) dave

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
When I bought the UTB, I said to myself, "Well, I'll never have to buy this again - it's PERFECT."

Now, all that has been turned on its ear. :frowning:

I'm questioning EVERYTHING! ARRRRGH! :angry: :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Let's all refrain from being rude...no one should have to "deal" with anything in these discussions.

I'm happy for folks to share their opinions but let's do so respectfully.

BTW, just food for thought...when Star Wars was released it was considered a pop-culture entertainment-level film. Only in hind-sight did it have the significant impact on the sci-fi/action genre that we can appreciate today. Time will tell if contemporary films like LOTR have or don't have the same impact on their respective genres.

Toy Story seemed to many of us at the time to promise to change the way animation was made. And 10 years later, it seems we were right.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Thanks for the review, David. I have the UTB and a 24-inch set, so I don't feel an upgrade is necessary. The only thing that might have convinced me to even do a rental would be some ultra-cool new bonus features. Thanks to you, I know that I can live without seeing the few new features that were added to this 10th Anniversary Edition.

I am glad that this movie will be in print again for those who never bought it before to enjoy. Toy Story is one of the great movies of the current generation, and I would recommend it to absolutely anybody.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thread reopened. In the interest of getting back to the Toy Story box, various digressions and disagreements have been removed. Please don't try to resume them. Thanks!

M.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
DaViD that's 1 heck of a review, almost information overload. Never got the Ultimate Toy Box, will be picking this up for sure.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
David, something you said in your review has been nagging at me for a few days. It's about the aliasing in the antenna. It makes me think that on this release, Disney has gone the Joe Kane/Bjoern-bit route and eliminated (or seriously reduced) the usual vertical filtering. Is that your take?

-Reagan

Brenton

Screenwriter
Until I see side-by-side screenshot comparisons, I think I'll be content with the Ultimate Toy Box.

Brendon

Second Unit
Splendid review David! I was initially skeptical of this re-release on account of already owning the R1 UTB & Disney's moritorium policy. My credit card has just taken yet another hit.

The new extras don't interest me a whole lot having done every Pixar DVD extra to date.

The improvements to the picture and a revisit of the masters used for the audio track is what rereleasing films SHOULD be about. Bottom line: How can we better present this film ?

I can also stop wanting to scratch the itch that was not having the DTS LD of Toy Story! (Does anyone know if the master used for the LD DTS track is the same as is being used for this DVD issue ?)

Cheers,

Brendon

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I'm completely sold, I'll take the flack from wifey on why I double dipped on this one.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
A question:

How many of you are still hanging on to your laserdisc boxed set of TOY STORY due to its inclusion of all the old Pixar short films (most of which were absent from the Ultimate Toy Box, and none of which are present on the current disc, apparently)?

Will these show up on the upcoming TS2 set? Can we expect a single disc with these shorts, available separately? Will they ever see the light of day again?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Which shorts are you talking about, Rob?

I was under the impression that most of the Pixar shorts had been released across the board on their feature-length releases. Luxo Jr., etc.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but did they render this edition straight from the computer files? IIRC, the original version was created from film since the technology was too new to render the computer files as a final (i.e. They had to render sections and then composite them in film).

I would assume that re-rendering the movie straight to DVD would be a VAST improvement over the original DVD (which was transfered from film)??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks