What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Tarzan Collection (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Agreed. I've advocated this before, but I think Warners should look into a series of "Signature" collections similar to what Universal has done with the Legacy series. Warners has a rich history of series films (Andy Hardy, Dr. Kildare, Falcon, Saint, Bowery Boys, etc.) that may not sell enough individually to warrant release, but I feel that presented as box sets would do quite well. These films air often enough on TCM that I know that they do exist in decent condition.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Agreed. I've advocated this before, but I think Warners should look into a series of "Signature" collections similar to what Universal has done with the Legacy series. Warners has a rich history of series films (Andy Hardy, Dr. Kildare, Falcon, Saint, Bowery Boys, etc.) that may not sell enough individually to warrant release, but I feel that presented as box sets would do quite well. These films air often enough on TCM that I know that they do exist in decent condition.

Steve

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
From memory, Jane has a nude swim in Tarzan and his Mate and that really pushed the boundaries of the Pre-Code world and helped bring in the Code.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
From memory, Jane has a nude swim in Tarzan and his Mate and that really pushed the boundaries of the Pre-Code world and helped bring in the Code.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Count me in as someone else who thinks that more of Warner's series of films should be packaged together, I'd also like the Andy Hardy films in a set and maybe Dr. Kildare, plus The Thin Man series (though Warners has said no to this in the past). With the Tarzan set and the Universal Monsters sets, its good to see that studios are starting to see the potential in this.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Count me in as someone else who thinks that more of Warner's series of films should be packaged together, I'd also like the Andy Hardy films in a set and maybe Dr. Kildare, plus The Thin Man series (though Warners has said no to this in the past). With the Tarzan set and the Universal Monsters sets, its good to see that studios are starting to see the potential in this.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My question now is when do we get the 2nd 6 film set of Weissmuller films to complete the Tarzan run? I'm assuming the WB owns the rights to these as well, but I may be wrong.

Admittedly, many folks see a sharp line, quality wise, between the first six films (probably because O'Sullivan left the series) and the last six. But I've always enjoyed all the films equally, and hope we do get a second set.

Gary "it just wouldn't be right not to release the whole series" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My question now is when do we get the 2nd 6 film set of Weissmuller films to complete the Tarzan run? I'm assuming the WB owns the rights to these as well, but I may be wrong.

Admittedly, many folks see a sharp line, quality wise, between the first six films (probably because O'Sullivan left the series) and the last six. But I've always enjoyed all the films equally, and hope we do get a second set.

Gary "it just wouldn't be right not to release the whole series" O.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I think Sol Lesser still has some rights to the RKO Tarzan films, so there might be some snag there.

I have a question on TARZAN'S NEW YORK ADVENTURE and I don't have the old laser set to compare, but the end title card is very short with the "End" music not stopping until the cast of characters card in for awhile. Then, that cast of character music cue is played until the end with black screen. The only thing I can think of is possibly the movie originally had a War Bond Savings card that was removed. Anyone know?
Thanks....

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I think Sol Lesser still has some rights to the RKO Tarzan films, so there might be some snag there.

I have a question on TARZAN'S NEW YORK ADVENTURE and I don't have the old laser set to compare, but the end title card is very short with the "End" music not stopping until the cast of characters card in for awhile. Then, that cast of character music cue is played until the end with black screen. The only thing I can think of is possibly the movie originally had a War Bond Savings card that was removed. Anyone know?
Thanks....

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Gary, John Morgan may be right about Sol Lesser, but a poster over on another forum indicated their information was that Warners was going to concentrate on releasing the first wave of boxes (Marx, Cary Grant, L&H, Bowery Boys) and then move to "Volume 2's" for all of these sometime in 2006. Please keep in mind, I don't know if this particular poster has inside info or not. I'm with you, I enjoy the Brenda Joyce films as well, and I would definitely buy them.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Gary, John Morgan may be right about Sol Lesser, but a poster over on another forum indicated their information was that Warners was going to concentrate on releasing the first wave of boxes (Marx, Cary Grant, L&H, Bowery Boys) and then move to "Volume 2's" for all of these sometime in 2006. Please keep in mind, I don't know if this particular poster has inside info or not. I'm with you, I enjoy the Brenda Joyce films as well, and I would definitely buy them.

Steve

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I don't believe anyone from WB ever said more THIN MAN films weren't coming, and since two of them were in their DVD Decision promo last year, an eventual release is very likely.

In my opinion, they're doing a great job with their classics, leaving all other companies in the dust.

Also, FYI...WB indeed owns all the Sol Lesser Tarzans. They've been distributing them to television since the '70s.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I don't believe anyone from WB ever said more THIN MAN films weren't coming, and since two of them were in their DVD Decision promo last year, an eventual release is very likely.

In my opinion, they're doing a great job with their classics, leaving all other companies in the dust.

Also, FYI...WB indeed owns all the Sol Lesser Tarzans. They've been distributing them to television since the '70s.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I believe that what the WB spokesman said was that more Thin Man releases were likely, but not in a box set. It would be great to have them in any form, but in a box set with extras would be ideal.

Getting back to Tarzan, good to know that WB owns the Sol Lesser Tarzans. We can hope for an eventual Vol. 2 of the Tarzan Collection, even if the later films don't measure up as well. But I guess its only fair for the other series to have their first volumes released first.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I believe that what the WB spokesman said was that more Thin Man releases were likely, but not in a box set. It would be great to have them in any form, but in a box set with extras would be ideal.

Getting back to Tarzan, good to know that WB owns the Sol Lesser Tarzans. We can hope for an eventual Vol. 2 of the Tarzan Collection, even if the later films don't measure up as well. But I guess its only fair for the other series to have their first volumes released first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks