What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Simpsons Season Six (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Lucked out I guess as I'm problem free with the packaging. I'll take up on their offer of a free box though.

bold emphasis mine

:confused:

Again, I must've lucked out or something cause I went and ran my fingers across the edges and no cuts. I've heard of sharp plastic before, but the plastic edges on my Simpsons box is rather dull.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
Just let the plastic run under your fingernail and then slide it to the side and you will understand! I didn't get cut, but it could happen.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a link to the message Homer has recorded for those who haven't called the number (32kbps MP3 - the quality of the original sucks and isn't much better). It's pretty funny.

JamesED

Second Unit
I sent my check today. My receipt was a computer print out. Best Buy's register printer jammed on me and they gave me normal 8 x 11.5 print outs instead. Very annoying since I also had 2 rebates to send in on a $120 - 80 WD160gb hard drive.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Okay, let me put it this way. If any Canadians get the new box, let me know what it looks like. I guess that's the only way I can find out if Canada and the U.S. get the same replacement box.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
I would have thought that the Canadian box would be the same. If memory serves, the Season Five box only had a bilingual wraparound sheet, while the box itself was English only.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I finally got mine from Amazon. I have to say that I don't hate the outward design of the box as much as I thought I would. Certainly a unique idea. My main complaint with it is the odd spine.

My real problem starts with the way the "head" opens. It barely does as you have to pry at it. Immediately annoying. The inside is the real mess. Loose booklets, cardboard inserts, discs attatched to plastic panels that flip. D'oh !

I've sent for the replacement box set.

John*D

Second Unit
I'm still awaiting for mine to ship, but I checked it out at WALMART...

They should have used a more sturdy plastic. They might as well have used celephane, b/c that packaging is so cheap.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
All the bilingual text on Seasons 5 and 6 has been easily removable so far, leaving it identical to the US packaging. If FOX does go bilingual for the replacement, I'll bet it's easily removable as well.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

:laugh: :laugh:

Is this really on the SimpsonBox site, Lyle? (It wasn't when I ordered the replacement box on August 16th.)

Hilarious indeed. If it's truly part of the ever-sarcastic, fun-poking SimpsonsBox site, they've added it after the first day, indicating the FOX folks are really having a blast slamming the anal-ites by creating additional wisecracks to puncture the Homer Head Box-bashers with. I love it!

That Homer phone message is hilarious too. .... "Actually, I think the box you already have is totally cool. But what to I know?! You're the customer. So I guess you know best!" :laugh:

Coming next should be the Official.....

"I Want Homer Digitally Replaced In All Simpsons Episodes With Ian McDiarmid" complaint website.

:)

RyanWM

Auditioning
Actually, that line was on there when I visited on the day of release. In fact, I thought the whole things were so funny in the classic Simpsons style, I wrote them down:

Inside DVD box:
For all those that fear change....
For all those anal retentive nerds who like their DVD boxes to line up perfectly on the shelf...
For all those who dislike storing their digital media inside a hollowed-out human head, have we got a deal for you:
Just call (number) for a very derivative, old-style, just-like before box with almost nothing new or creative to annoy or terrify you. Enjoy!

Phone message, spoken by Homer:
"Welcome, disgruntled consumer. You have reached the Simpsons Season Six replacement box hoax...uh, I mean number. Don't worry, this is not a hoax...or is it? No it is not...most likely. Anyway, for more details on how you can recieve an old, boring-style box totally free of charge- except for stupid shipping and handling...I hate handling!- just buy a computer and go to (website). The website will tell you exactly what to do to take advantage of this hoax. Oh, why do I keep saying that? Or do I? Actually, I think the box you already have is totally cool. But what do I know? I mean, you're the customer, so I guess you know best! Oh, let's not get into this. If you need futher help, call back Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm Pacific standard time when some goon can help you. (Laughs to himself) Ha ha ha...goon..."

Welcome complainers, all those that fear change, and greedy people who like free stuff...
Requirements:
-A dislike for storing your digital media inside a hollowed out human head
-Proof-of-Purchase (one of the following):
- Original sales receipt
or
- The 800# insert you found in the box
or
- The original proof of purchase on the back of the episode guide booklet
-For U.S. residents $2.95 for shipping and handling
For Canadian residents $4.95 for shipping and handling
Please make check or money order payable to 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
(Cash is not accepted - We pay for the package and you pay to send it)
-A rear molar (optional)
-A solemn promise to stop your whining
-Redemption form (We're coming to this next)

Reason for wanting a new box (please select one):
-Anal retentive (box must be identical)
-Lonely (will pretend box is new best friend)
-Will sell new box to collector nerds for huge profit
-Just like free stuff
-Big baby

We're done and we love you more than ever!
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.
Look for the "I don't like the alternative box either" site coming soon

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

It would have been really funny if they followed up Homer's message with the "disclaimer voice" we hear so often on commercials on the show. You know -- Krusty: "This product has the Krusty guarantee!" Disclaimer voice: "Not a guarantee."

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Yeah, that's probably it. I don't hate it, although it doesn't fit in with the first five sets.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Okay. The dvds are as good as the previous sets.

Since these episodes are syndicated ad infinitum, I just run the commenatries the first time. And they're wonderful Somhow after over 120 commentaries the writers have new stories to tell us. You really get a sense of what it's like to produce an episode.

Other than that, there's not much to the set. I see a little EE on these episodes when I run them on a flat panel monitor and there's still no documentary after six seasons but all in all it's worth it to continue the peak seasons of one of the funniest shows ever on television.

I hate the box.

MarkHughes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hughes
Since I got my set from FOX for review, I dont have a proof of purchase and since my new dog (9 month old puppy) decided he liked the taste of homer's head, I now have no packaging....

anyone who is going to simply discard their Homer head and wouldnt mind sending it my way, please e-mail me at [email protected]... my discs need a new home.

Jotsa

Auditioning

I believe it is. Seeing as the spine of the Homer's Head casing is black, it seems as if this "UK Cover" may well be the alternative case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks