What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Scorpion King" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Joel C

Screenwriter
Colin-

I agree! I have a gay friend who insists the Rock is a "club member" and that picture would do nothing to dispute his theory.

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
If I would be looking for something intelligent with good acting and with a message, I would go with a top Spielberg all the time.
Now if I am in for a popcorn action entertainment I do expect exactly that and nothing more. By the way, I liked the Mummy returns because I found what I was looking for. I popcorn action entertainment.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I don't consider this a Rock movie...I like to think of it as a Kelly Hu movie...that's reason enough for me to pick it up.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. I'm buying it for Kelly Hu. Besides, I saw it in the theater, and it was fun. No one's going to accidentally give it an Oscar, but it was fun.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Wow, this doesnt come out til October...too bad Paramount and some of the other studios dont let their reviews out this early.

As for the film, like everyone else has said, this is mindless action entertainment, but I agree 100% with Ron, this movie was pretty entertaining. One of the best popcorn action films in a long time. Much better than anything Arnold has done since True Lies.

I already have this on preorder.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Man! I sure was hoping Universal would have included a DTS track on this one! I saw this one at the theater and thought it was a descent popcorn flick. All along thinking how great it will be when Universal releases it on DVD w/ a DTS track. Skunked again!:angry:
It seems that Universal isn't releasing a lot of their new titles with a DTS track on them. It used to be almost standard fare for awhile. But they have gotten away from this practice lately.
Anyway, I liked it but not enough to buy it.
Peace!
:)

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
I can tell you one thing guys, this title most likely will be picked up by the women who like 'The Rock'. The women who like The Rock could care less if he could act his way out of a paper bag, they just want to see his rippling muscles. I've witnessed what I call 'The Rock Effect' in quite a few women. (It's very similar to the Kelly Hu Effect with us guys. :) ) I've also seen the very same thing with Vin Diesel in XXX. I do believe Dwayne and Vin are poised to be the next Stallone and Schwarzenegger. As many of you know, any film with those two in it is going to be a popcorn film with a lot of ass kicking, nothing more. As long as you are in the mindset that you aren't going to see an Oscar winning performance, you shouldn't be dissapointed.

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
I'll buy it because I am a big fan of the Mummy series, but I want to see how good Ms. Hu is. She will be in X2 so I'll see how she is as an actress.
And my gf loves The Rock so, Its an easy decision. ;)

Steve Spin

Grip
Real Name
Steven Spinelli
I think there should be a new law!
If you are a sports star, a pop star, or famous for killing someone or helping some one kill someone. You should not be aloud to act in a movie. Unless you play yourself that is. I remember some law that stated if you were a news anchor on TV you could play anything but a news personality in a movie. I don't think it is enforced anymore. Anyway, I will get a copy to add to my collection. I think it still belongs next to the other "Mummy" movies. I mean I still own ALL of the Halloween movies just so I can have a complete set. I will however not be buying this one new. I will buy a "used" rental copy from the video store.
Also, I agree with a couple of the post that some movies are art and some are entertainment. I just happen to love Flash Gordon!
Steve
Link Removed

Ken Bentley

Second Unit
well i must say. i cant wait for the release on dvd. been wanting so bad to see it. so only bout a month till it comes out.. cant wait.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
After picking this up today, I am really disappointed to see that the ET and Back to the Future Trailers are missing. Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing them, or did they get cut from the screener that Ron got?

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I am really disappointed to see that the ET and Back to the Future Trailers are missing. Am I missing them, or did they get cut from the screener that Ron got?
Actually, both trailers were tacked on to the start of the film. Just push PLAY MOVIE and there they are. BTW, don't expect "original trailers"' they're more like "Upcoming DVD Advertisements".
As for the movie itself...no, it's not "Oscar-quality", true, BUT it IS entertaining. Just sit next to a 10-year old boy watching it for the first time and let some of that "wow"-factor wear off on you. Grab some popcorn...and just enjoy it for what it is. Entertainment!!!
AND a hot oiled-up stud kicking butt and wielding a sword! :b :D :wink:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Bought it yesterday for $15 and will sell it today. I hate buying a movie sight-unseen but had no choice as the only available rental copies locally were all P&S. :angry:
I just couldn't get into the movie and turned it off after 30 minutes. Maybe it's the Rock's bad acting, the fire ant scene or the poorly-executed attempts at comedy in an action flick. I dunno. :thumbsdown:

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I liked both Mummy movies so I'm sure I will like this movie. For the price of about $15 and a $5 off coupon, you can't go wrong!

Good review Ron!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Rented it, tried to watch it, took it back and thats that!
(Transfer was very good), aside from that, theirs nothing that could get me to purchase this DVD.
Mindless fun, must be I don't care for mindless fun...;)
Volume (off) and it's a much better film!:D
A waste of time and money IMO...
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks