What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Royal Tenenbaums" (CRITERION) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Wes C

Supporting Actor
I considered this to be Wes Andersons worst film. But I still loved it!! Rushmore and Bottle Rocket are just to good.

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
Both Royal and Rushmore are excellent films. I loved both from the moment they started, till the moment they ended. I can't wait for July 9th!

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I agree about loving both rushmore and royal tenenbaums from the moment they started, as far as recommending sight unseen, if you have seen rushmore and liked it, then I could definetly recommend picking this up site unseen. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Guy_K

Second Unit
Yeah, it's a double alpha inside a cardboard slip case. It looks really nice. See that pink sticker though on the slip case (On Ron's first cover picture), that's pretty annoying, it doesn't peel off easily at all. It could ruin the cover.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Tim RH said:
I personally thought The Royal Tenenbaums was one of last year's very best films, though apparently most critics didn't agree with me for some reason.
Well, Rotten Tomatoes shows it 81% fresh (101 fresh versus 24 rotten reviews), so a pretty large percentage of critics liked the film. Actually, I thought Tenenbaums was equally successful in critical and popular opinion. It certainly stuck around in theaters much longer than Rushmore did.

And I can't wait to get my hands on this set!

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Damin,

When you do get your copy, please tell us if there's anything weird about it!
(like a missing Criterion # on the spine)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The Canadian Traffic had the spine number left off in error, and that error has been corrected. Hopefully, no such error happened to RT.
Anyway, I shall report.
DJ

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Surprise, surprise. I am greatful to Criterion, BV, Anderson... whoever decided to put a DTS track on this wonderful film.
Just because a certain movie doesn't use the surround channels that much doesn't mean it can't benefit from DTS. I've noticed far too often that dialog intelligibility on many DD releases sometimes has a tinny or muffled quality (less detail) and only gets worse as the channels get maxed out (may be an artifact of DD's inter-channel bit pooling and/or wacky dial. norm.), but with a properly encoded DTS track most of the time the dialog and music sound better/clearer. This really plays itself out with full bitrate DTS tracks.
In fact, I'd love to see Criterion re-release Rushmore with a re-mastered DTS soundtrack. Now, that movie used a surprisingly rich amount of active surround sound for such a low key comedy, even with the British invasion rock music and score. The end of the film will have you ducking behind the couch! :D
Bottle Rocket too!
Dan

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it's a double alpha inside a cardboard slip case. It looks really nice. See that pink sticker though on the slip case (On Ron's first cover picture), that's pretty annoying, it doesn't peel off easily at all. It could ruin the cover.
You can plainly see that the wrapper is still on the packaging and he cut into the right side to slide out the inner case.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I have the Canadian version, which is identical to the Us version (down to the number on the spine). It has a small Canadian flag and rating on the back of the outside box, but the alpha case is unmarked.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
As always, solid review, Ron. I'm glad to see this one grew on you. I think it's an amazing movie, and I cannot wait to get my fingers on this set!

Particularly excellent work with the extras and cover art!

Mikal Haydn

Agent
eric,

I've seen neither Rushmore or Bottle Rocket but was immediately charmed by the royal tenenbaums from start to finish. Would be safe to say that you will at LEAST like, if not REALLY love, this one.

But lets see what others have to say...

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I figure if you liked Rushmore and Bottle Rocket, you'd probably dig Tenenbaums. I enjoyed Rushmore the first time I saw it but, similar to Bottle Rocket, The Royal Tenenbaums' self-conscious quirkiness is WAY too precocious for my taste.

Mark

Samuel V.

Auditioning
I am new here.
But it seems that our friend Ron makes great reviews.
Keep it up!
This was my favorite film of 2001.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I enjoyed Rushmore, so I'll give this one a shot. At first, a little wary of its Criterion label, since they're considerably more expensive. However, a quick scan at Best Buy shows this title currently on sale for $16.99, shipped (free shipping) - you have to click on the pre-order/buy option to place item in cart and see adjusted price.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The set is indeed outstanding - I've been playing with it for a couple of days now and it's still my favourite film since Eyes Wide Shut.

The Peter Bradley Show is absolutely hilarious! One of the best special features I've ever seen. Watch this one first!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey Peter! THANKS! I hadn't checked out any pre-order prices for this title, as I assumed the Criterion label would automatically include a hefty price tag.
But I got it from Best Buy for $18.01!!!!! (No shipping charges, but I was charged sales tax. OH WELL!!) 18 bucks for a Criterion disc, and - more importantly - a movie I ADORE.
Thanks again for dropping that little nugget about the "hidden" sales price. I recommend that others take Mr. Kim's advice, and get this one through Best Buy.
I'm ALL ABOUT saving 5-10 bucks on a DVD I was definitely going to buy anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks