What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Polar Express - Two Disc Widescreen Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Robert James Clark

Second Unit

I think the whole "creepy" thing was a bit of "mee-to" reactions of critics not wanting to seem "uncool" while failing as critics to notice the fact that the characters look the way that they do because they were attempting to replicate the Van Allsburg book!

Would it hurt critics to crack open a thin children's book?

As for the 3D, allow me to add my "mee-too" and say that this film was one of the major cinematic experiences for me for the absolutely transcendent Imax 3D quality.

The DVD is bound to be a major letdown as nothing can compare to the goosebump experience of seeing it in Imax3D...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Yep. He saw this in the theater and wanted a dvd copy that Christmas. It's been on his list for this year, and I'm sure it'll be played on Christmas morning. :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
According to IMDB the AR for the IMAX version is 1.44:1, but of course we know IMDB never makes a mistake!

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
When I saw "The Polar Express" in IMAX 3-D, I was very pleased to see the same aspect ratio as when I saw it in the cinema complex, but projected, naturally, on a much LARGER screen!:emoji_thumbsup:
The same with "Harry Potter An The Prisoner Of Azkaban". (HPATPOA Not in 3-D.)

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I'm excited about seeing PE. Didn't catch it in the theater. Kinda miffed that it's not DTS 6.1 considering it was nominated for an Academy Award.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Quick question: How many songs are in the movie? I'm not a big fan of musicals, but I did want to see this.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I missed this in the theaters. I picked up the single disc version this morning. If there had been a more in-depth making-of featurette, I probably would have gone for the 2-disc.

Looking forward to finding the time to view this one. And Kong.

-Scott

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I can't speak for others, but for me, the creepiness came from the lack of naturalism presented by the animated characters. The faces look like masks and give me the willies. It's a bizarre attempt to emulate live-action and it just doesn't work at all for me. It's not the LOOK so much as the EXECUTION...

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how to post a new topic so...

Why are so many DVDs released in 1 & 2 disc editions at the same time? Why don't they just release one edition because the 2-disc editions aren't even SPECIAL they usually have no inserts and are more expensive than a regular DVD. I wish they did what disney does, its getting to the point where I don't remember a movie just being released as a 2-disc edition with no other editions.

BarryS

Second Unit

Because there are a lot of crybabies out there (typically casual movie viewers who don't know or care about the process of filmmaking) who don't like bonus features cluttering up their DVDs. That's why a lot of "bonus features" on big mainstream movies tend to be of the B.S. variety. "Hilarious outtakes" and other such useless garbage, such as those appearing on Meet the Fockers and other big comedies.

I understand that a lot of people don't have the time or the interest to dig deep into DVD bonus features, but there are a lot of people that do want them. Now, as a result of these soccer moms petitioning the movie studios, we get to pay $5 to $10 more for the bonus features than we used to! Hooray!

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure how much special features fit on a disc but the polar express features were short and I think they could have fit it on one disc. Does anyone know if that could have happened, or was there not enough space?

:::OFF TOPIC:::
When BlueRay/HD-DVD come out are we only gonna have one disc movies, since they have more room or will they still have 2 discs?

ALSO, HOW do I make a new thread??

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Look down at the bottom of the thread, within the blue bar and click the "NEW THREAD" button. There's one at the top of the thread too.

We looked at THE POLAR EXPRESS last evening. I found it magnificent in the theatres last year, and even moreso on the old Home Theatre last night. My wife liked it too, but continues to consider it a "boys' movie." Perhaps so - many of us get our thrills thinking about trains, rollercoasters, etc.

I almost got a bit "shafted" on the release. I'd pre-ordered it at a local Sam Goody store, since we're members of their club, and went to pick it up last evening. The slip indicated that I'd already paid for it (to get the triple points when I ordered it), and that I paid $23.30. Not remembering which 'edition' I'd ordered, I noticed that the clerk brought out the single-disc version, on 'sale' for $19.95. We assumed that I was overcharged, when I asked if there was another edition, perhaps a more expensive one. He dragged out a 'gift set' box, but I distinctly remembered not ordering that. Then he looked around some more and found the two-disc edition, and determined that I'd paid $1 less than I should have, but he let me slide on that.

So, had I not seen the review here at HTF, specifically noting a 2-disc edition, I might have gotten stuck with the garden variety single disc'er. Thanks guys!

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Andrew Bunk wrote:

There are only two main "musical numbers" that I can recall, the "Hot Chocolate" singing/dancing number, and a more touching "Believe", sung by the kids at an appropriate time. Listen to the words on that one; they underscore the entire story.

There are some musical happenings once things get to the North Pole, but these are more background than foreground, and there's a brief rock'n'roll animated 'appearance' by Steven Tyler near the end.

I enjoyed Alan Silvestri's score and the songs by him and Glenn Ballard. They fit the feature and create a stirring background.

Harry

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks for a great review, saw it the first time on dvd yesterday as i missed it out on the theaters. I had read a lot about the characters being too lifelike and creepy but after the initial few minutes i got over that. Only animation which seemed a little odd to me was the girl when she spoke, somehow her mouth movement didn't seem right. Anyways, what a fantastic movie for sound. When the train first pulled outside the boy's window the whole house was ready to come down.Fantastic Bass and very nicely done rear surrounds.A great movie to show off the home theater, though I did sometimes found the vocals to be a little weak(or was it just me?). Movie was overall decent despite being predicatable and I thought it lost a little steam at the end. Overall a fun watch though i probably would pass on it for my dvd collection.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Wish they included the 3D version in this edition. Maybe the HD version if and when it comes out will have a 3D version of the movie itself as well.

Ozzie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks