What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Others" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
It's mine.

Saw it at the theater, really enjoyed it. The ending got me, too!

I care not about the exclusion of a DTS track. No one really knows that a DTS track would have improved the soundtrack...really, come on now.

Here's what a DVD has to have in order for me to buy it:

1. A movie I like.

2. sound.

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
According to the draft review on Doug Pratt's website (DVD Laserdisc Newsletter) there's a sticker on the wrapper of this disc that claims that the extra features run for "1.5 hours".
Received my copy this morning and theres a booklet advertising Dimension Films Dvds inside....on the ad for The Others it says it includes a commentary! I think the 1.5 hours of features is just another example of a studio exaggerating a discs content(a la Shrek or Planet Of The Apes). I'm wondering if Alejandro Amenabar is just not into doing commentaries and stuff, like Spielberg.
Richard

Gavin_L

Second Unit
this is one of those movies, i've been waiting for months to come out. heard great things about this movie, thanks ron for your wonderful review.

I'm for sure picking this one up.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I zero in on the 'Highly Recommeded' dvd reviews. I'll zero in on this dvd on May 14th. Looking forward to this treat.

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking around today at a certain store when all of a sudden I saw this movie on the shelf. Not many things get released early in Vegas. Anyway, I had no problem purchasing it and just got finished watching it. Absolutely incredible.

John

Nick P

Second Unit
I care not about the exclusion of a DTS track. No one really knows that a DTS track would have improved the soundtrack...really, come on now.
I have to agree with this. I don't see why everyone gets so uptight about a movie not having a DTS track. Just because its DTS doesn't mean its 10X better than DD. Fight Club, Toy Story 2, Lost in Space, The Phantom Menace...these sound as good as any DTS soundtrack I've heard.

Eric T

Second Unit
A great movie, for sure. I saw it when it was in the theaters. However, I won't be purchasing this DVD, because like some other movies with "surprise endings", once I know the surprise, the film just can't hold my attention for additional viewings. There are some exceptions of course, I've seen and enjoyed The Sixth Sense several times, but for the most part it spoils it for me. I do have to say, however, that it's always great to see a film like that for the first time! It's so rare and wonderful to be surprised by films these days.

Jeff Gibbons

Agent
Did anyone else notice the "similarities" between The Others and The Changeling (1980)? The plots were different, but there were little things like the name Mr. Tuttle, and much bigger ones like the scene near the end, the seance
which I almost couldn't believe.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed.

Jeff

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Bought this DVD last week. WOW! I'd forgotten how suspenseful this movie was. Much better than I remembered it as being. My 10-year old loved it, too. The first time in a long time that he wanted his nightlight turned on at bedtime.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I thought when I saw this film in the theatre that when the three house workers arrived at the house that there was a long shot, and the three entered the frame from the left and walked toward the house. In the dvd, there is only a shot of them walking towards the door. I guess this is another one of those moments where I imagined seeing something that was never there. But I could have sworn...

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Saw this movie for the first time with all the necessary conditions to see a horror movie. My God this movie scared the hell out of me.
Such a great example to show that it’s good and psychological movie making that would make a great scary movie not special effects and CG overblown. I laugh at the sight of movies like “The Haunting”. Even the psychological overrated “Blair Witch Project” didn’t do anything for me. Absolutely nothing.
It’s a fact that "The Exorcist" has the honor of being the number 1 horror movie of all time. I think “The Others” might be the number 2 for me! :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
I hope I don't get burn too badly...

This movie is like Ricky Martin, alot of hype, little substance. I got the Changeling conection as well but my wife compared it to Sixth Sense
. We both had it figured out by the husband's arrival

Don't get me wrong it was fairly entertaining, but it lacked quite abit. I was very disappointed.

Ron, rent Session 9 if you haven't seen already. It sounds a heck of alot scarier without a 5.1 soundtrack.

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
I am planning to buy the Reg 1 edition.

In Britain one of our top magazines - Home Cinema Choice, reviewed the region 3 edition with DTS soundtrack.

I'm sorry I don't have the link, but they concluded that there was little difference between the DD and the DTS. As the reg 3 is non anamorphic they had no hesitation in recommending the Reg1 copy.

Persona;;y, this is the sort of review I wait for. I will give up extras for a superior DTS track; however, more often than not the tracks are similar or the same, in which case I will go for the best package.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks