What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "The Mission" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
And Morricone's score was gypped of an Oscar in one of the greatest travesties of Academy history when the Best Score award was given to Herbie Hancock for "Round Midnight" which shouldn't even count as an "original score." Only Jerry Goldsmith's "Patton" score losing to "Love Story" in 1970 counts for a bigger travesty.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I wonder why this was a 2-disc set when Mildred Pierce and The Bad and the Beautiful were both DVD-14's, and contained 90-minute documentaries?

Still, can't complain - sounds ace!

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Thanks once again for the great review Ron, for if it wasn't for you, I will not even bother to buy this (been thinking it was some bad socerer movie from the cover). But now, I going to buy this movie, as you have made me instrested in seeing this lost gem and I have you to thank.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well, chalk me up to another HTF member who missed out on this in theaters back in '86 and who never got around to seeing this on HBO or a home video format. I too, have never heard the cd soundtrack but remembered that it does have a large following. As a proud owner of some great soundtrack scores, I guess I need to step it up some and get this one too. And of course the dvd too! :)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
And Morricone's score was gypped of an Oscar in one of the greatest travesties of Academy history when the Best Score award was given to Herbie Hancock for "Round Midnight"
Indeed!!!

It was so much of a travesty, that Mr. Morricone vowed to never again score an American film.
He has made only a few exceptions for friends and previous collaborators such as Brian DePalma.

Eagerly awaiting to pick this one up as well as Warner's 2-disc edition of Once Upon a Time in America (which I hope Ron will be reviewing soon!)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I remember being so dumbfounded that night when "Mission" lost the Best Score award. If *any* of the other nominees that year but Hancock had won, that I could have accepted since the other nominees were big names in film scoring, Jerry Goldsmith (Hoosiers), James Horner (Aliens) and Leonard Rosenmann (Star Trek IV). But Hancock????

This unfortunately has long been one of the biggest jokes in Hollywood. Their perpetual tin ears when it comes to great film music and their obsession with pop oriented scores and the continued screwing of some of the greatest composers of all time.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
First of all: I'm all over this one. Street Date Purchase all the way.
You and I both Carlo. I cannot wait for this DVD. An absolutely beautiful film. Thanks WB and thanks or the excellent review Ron.

Peace Out~:D

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I missed this one in the theaters as i was overseas in 1986. But I have beeen waiting to see this for a long time. It has been on cable recently, but I have been holding off for an OAR DVD. Finally my patience has been rewarded.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
The score alone will move you. The film; especially if you are aware of the historical basis, will make you weep.

There is an interesting moment if you stay with the film right through the credits.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I can't believe how many people HAVEN'T seen this movie!

please chime in as to how many of you will get the music score after watching it!

note that it has been used in some Nescafe (coffee) ad campaigns, and there is a 'better' remix version available separately (on Virgin compilations).

Gerry A

Agent
I have this movie listed in my "Films That Ought To Be in DVDs" list in Amazon. I guess I better go take it out now. :)

Great review Ron! Have you given any thought to reviewing for print media?

Can't wait for this DVD! I've got my preorder up as soon as it was announced.

Real Name
Crosley Carpenter
Thanks for the great review Ron. The Mission brings back strong memories for me.

I was working at a cinema playing the film in 70MM. It was the first 70mm presentation there, installed expressly for The Mission.

Well, the sound and picture were amazing. The picture was a little dark, possibly due to the blow-up from 35MM, but so very sharp and beautiful to look at. The sound was awesome, I had never heard anything like it in a theatre. My recollection is that the music and waterfall scenes were the most effective, but it's along time ago, so possibly my memory is faulty.

What I remember most, sadly, is that there were technical problems with the sound on the opening weekend. ( I don't remember details of the sound processor, nor exactly what went wrong ) We had full houses and a less than perfect presentation. It was a very stressful and embarassing couple of days before the problems were fully rectified.

There was another occasion early in the film's season where the projectionist missed the reel change ( the cinema didn't have a platter system then )because the film was so dark and they couldn't see the reel change marks.

Another embarrassing moment best forgotten about!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for sharing some "real world film" experiences. Often time we get so caught up in the DVD-side of things we forget these were films that were projected! I would have loved to have seen this film in 70 MM!!

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
You might consider yourself an amateur, but I know of some professionals (by their weekly bylines, not personally) who could learn from you. You can quote me on that.
Dammit, now we're gonna have Ron running 'round with "FHS"

(Fat Head Syndrome):D

Wait, Ron, he didn't mean it... all your reviews suck, nobody reads them, nobody appreciates you... try harder ;)

(maybe that'll keep the hat from stretching tooooo much)

---

ANYWAY... back in 1986 I had no IDEA that this film existed (And I still didn't know until about 10 minutes ago).

My wife's gonna kill me but... ya gotta do what you gotta do.;)

Thanks again Ron. :star: :emoji_thumbsup: :star: :emoji_thumbsup: :star:

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
What I remember most, sadly, is that there were technical problems with the sound on the opening weekend. ( I don't remember details of the sound processor, nor exactly what went wrong ) We had full houses and a less than perfect presentation. It was a very stressful and embarassing couple of days before the problems were fully rectified.

There was another occasion early in the film's season where the projectionist missed the reel change ( the cinema didn't have a platter system then )because the film was so dark and they couldn't see the reel change marks.
Noy quite the same, but that sounds a lot like my theater experience when catching Mel Gibson's We Were Soldiers on or about opening day weekend.

The theater is packed for a small town cinema-plex and the film "jumps the track" twice, and one time, the most dramatic, MELTS the film. The film actually came apart on the screen in a nasty goo-like drippage deal and the audience was like "ooo ahhh ohhh". It was funny if not sad. So of course we all had to sit there while the theater crew spliced the film together, and then later on, the film jumped the track again.

It was the most agonizing film-going experience I have ever had.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I remember MISSION producer David Puttnam mentioned in a good Morricone doco a couple of years ago that he felt the composer had been "grotesquely robbed of an Oscar..". It's a pretty amazing score. Morricone was shown the film by Joffe and Puttnam and originally didn't want to do the music to it. They pressed him a little and asked why, and Morricone said that he'd found the movie incredibly affecting and didn't think he could write anything that would live up to it. It's nice that he changed his mind, (Morricone cited the native's relationship to the music instruments - Irons playing to them on first meeting, or the young girl with the instrument in the final scenes - as just one of the things that had affected him about the movie).

Nice to hear that Joffe is a fan of DVD's. Hopefully he'll enjoy Warner's new transfer of THE MISSION - all the recent Warner transfers are pretty great and I'm looking forward to seeing how ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA and THE RIGHT STUFF look.

I think Ron's reviews are terrific - his exclusive review of that 4-disc FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING box late last year was a powerful and involving piece of writing. He's also prolific... keep up the good work Ron.

I've owned Mission on Laser Disk since it was first released way back when and it remains as one of my favorite movies. It will effect you and leave a lasting impression. Great review Ron. Can't wait for the DVD.:emoji_thumbsup:

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
watching this,

the colours are muted, with a haze over the print.
disappointed with the flat look.
yes, there is too much red as well.

what, no other comments since release date?

sound is also flattish, definitely front heavy and levels are low.

listening to the CD on end has probably skewed my anticipation greatly.

will chime in later when done.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

I have the laserdisc. Naturally I'm expecting the 16x9 DVD in 480P to far surpass the PQ of the LD, but I'll be comparing the 2.0 PCM prologic soundtrack on the LD to the 5.1 DD on the DVD and post my thoughts here. I'm sure the CD has it's own characteristic sound (probably better than the DVD "film" mix), but if the PCM on the LD really kills the 5.1 mix that will tell us something. IMO, most WB discs have very "flat" sound. I think it has to do with the digital processing equipment they use during mastering for home-video.

Still waiting for the disc to arrive...

dave :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks