What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Ext. Ed.) (merged w/"PQ and SQ" thread) (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Is the new "Gondor Theme" soundtrack cue present during the Boromir/Faramir/Denethor flashback? If so, is the Gondor Theme repeated during the "Fan Club Crawl" during the end credits of the movie? I think it's just a fantastic cue, and I'm looking forward to listening to it
It is a misconception that the Gondor theme is in fact new. Shore had it from the very start since the theatrical cut of Fellowship of the Ring (during the council of Elrond). There are two renditions of it in the extended edition of The Two Towers, the first is at the tail end of a new scene between Eowyn and Aragorn whilst on the trek to Helms Deep, and the second is during the flashback in which it is heard in more force. It is not featured in the fan credits, no.

It’s a theme featured rather prominently on the Return of the King CD, so you need only wait a couple of weeks until that album's release if you want to hear the theme on its individual merit (though the orchestration won't be the same as heard during the restored scene in The Two Towers naturally).

Dan

GregK

Screenwriter
he DTSes track is discreet, is it not? Therefore would not the rear center channel be lost in a 5.1 set up? I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me.
For DTS-ES discrete playback, the discrete back channel is sent to the center back speaker(s), as a completely discrete channel. However, the center back information in the left and right surrounds (which is ALWAYS included to be 5.1 and DTS ES-matrix compatible) is removed via a matrix fashion. The matrix encode decode used to add and remove the center back is quite nice, but it is still a matrix system.

So DTS-ES discrete can offer marginal improvements. In the opening narration of LOTR: FOTR EE, only DTS discrete keeps the opening narration surround reverb out of the center back speakers, as the discrete back channel is truly discrete. My DTS-ES Matrix and DD EX decoders allow some spillover into the center back. One of my favorite surround back moments happens in the Stargate UE DVD. After going through the Stargate for the 1st time, the team is inspecting the inside of a pyramid. In the surround back Kurt Russel says "Freeze.. Hold for sounds". In this case, it is the dialog that must be removed from the left and right surrounds while still maintaining the active soundfield of the other surround channels (wind and such). For this given clip, DTS-ES matrix, DTS-discrete, and Dolby EX all performed about the same. For those who would ask, if you put your ear up right up to the surround left speaker, (in my system) DTS ES-matrix(!)actually extracted the center back voice out just a nip better than the other two systems.. with this given clip.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
It is a misconception that the Gondor theme is in fact new. Shore had it from the very start since the theatrical cut of Fellowship of the Ring (during the council of Elrond).
That's right. You can hear it when Legolas says "This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn", which would lead me to believe that the piece of score is actually Aragorn's theme, rather than that of Gondor.

Thomas Mitchell

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply, Dan and Richard, and for clearing up my misconceptions. I am anxiously awaiting the EE and the soundtrack.

---tjm

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
You can hear it when Legolas says "This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn", which would lead me to believe that the piece of score is actually Aragorn's theme, rather than that of Gondor.
It is Gondor's theme. It wouldn't feature in Two Towers during a scene Aragorn has no part in remember. You're listening a wee bit too late in Fellowship. The cue actually begins when Boromir begins to talk about Gondor and his father, then it indeed finishes at the council "revelation" of Aragorn's true identity.

Aragorn has his own distinct theme mind you (heard most notably during Amon Hen and during his ride to Helms Deep in The Two Towers).

Dan

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Because of saving money for my wedding, I'm actually forced to wait until the first of December before I can get this set. But hey, it makes for a nice wedding or Christmas present (hint hint!) :D

Must...have...MY...PRECIOUSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! :D

Eric R C

Agent
I am a casual fan of this trilogy. I enjoyed both of these movies in the theater and currently own the "stripped down" version of both.

My question is the PQ and SQ worth the extra money to double dip? I don't care for the extras at all, so this would just be for the enhanced PQ and DTS sound.

Thanks for all of your help.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I'm going to get the EE as well. I have the two disc already, but I like the story so the extra scenes, better PQ, and better sound make it worth the price to me. I stil would not be without the two disc theatrical version though, especially due to the fact that the audio mix has been modified on the EE. If I have a friend come over who has never seen LOTR and wants to watch it, they'll see the theatrical version still, but for me the EE is worth it.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
My question is the PQ and SQ worth the extra money to double dip? I don't care for the extras at all, so this would just be for the enhanced PQ and DTS sound.
Yes, absolutely.

But forget the enhanced PQ and DTS sound. Get the EE for the enhanced movie. The difference between theatrical and extended versions is honestly so great it would probably change you from a casual fan to a hard-core fan.

Eric R C

Agent
I guess my question is how is the PQ different? Better? Same goes to the SQ... Is the DTS version, dare I say better?

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
I saw TTT EE last weekend.
PQ was verging on HiDef.
I can't comment on SQ but all the other releases regardless of EE or not have been outstanding.
I have 7.1 so the DTS-ES is nice.

This is almost a new movie compared to the theatrical release.
As with FOTR, this EE is the REAL TTT.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
A slight variation to this topic. I am one of those that is buying this mainly for the extras, although what I intend to do is get all 3 parts of the trilogy and watch them back to back to back, to see if I can't get a greater appreciation for the films. I actually did own the 2 disc fellowship disc, but gave it away because I didn't care for the film. Only to then buy the 4 disc set a couple months later. Its not like I didn't know the 4 disc set was coming out either, I gave the 2 disc set away in December of last year after the 4 disc set had been out a month though I bought the 2 disc set on release date.

I can't comment on visuals, but I am definitely hyped up for the sound mix on this film, I love a good audio track.

Scott.T

Agent
I am buying the EE because I believe it will be a better movie than the theatrical version. FOTR certainly was IMO.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I was so so on TTT in theater, but I loved TTT EE. I can't quite explain it. 2nd time viewing in EE was just so much better for me.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I just saw the TTT: EE last night and all I can say is that I can hardly belive I was watching the same film, it's like a whole different movie.

Remember how much better the FOTR: EE was than the theatriccal version? Multiply that times 3 and that's how much better the Towers EE is over the Towers teatrical.

Picture and sound were amazing, and the added 43 scenes/editing really made this movie work.

I really liked the Two Towers, I flat out love the Two Towers extended!!!

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
The picture quality is much higher. Definitely worth a double dip. I suspect TTT will be the same for me as FOTR. After I view the EE I'll never want to see the theatrical edition again.

Eric R C

Agent
Well you all made a believer out of me... I was hoping you wouldn't :D

This is my first DoubleDip.

Hopefully Best buy will have a deal on both EE to make it easier to stomach.

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my set today from DeepDiscountDVD.com and I just watched the first disk. All I can say I was blown away. I like the extended scenes and the new ones that were added. I was hoping the sound would be better than the theatrical version, but I could not tell the difference. I was playing the DTS version, and I could tell some subtle differences from DD 5.1.

Does anyone else think the sound could have been better? I still think the Fellowship disks had the loudest and deepest sound then the Two Towers. May be I am playing it too softly with my receiver?

perrin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks