What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Ext. Ed.) (merged w/"PQ and SQ" thread) (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I just saw the 'let him free' thing to be more symbolic than literal.

Aragorn is riding the horse before the warg attack. Horses are intelligent creatures with finely attuned senses. It's not beyond reason for the horse to go looking for it's master. He obviously has a connection to the animal.

As much as the reason for this part of the film is a ham-fisted mechanism for Aragorn to see the oncoming Uruks, I did like the way it was filmed. I think with hindsight, having some screen time just with Aragorn is a good thing.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Imagine how messed up it would be if, in the scene on the beach where Arwen kisses Aragorn, she fades away and we have Brego kissing him. :D

(Remember "The Mask", the dream sequence where Jim Carrey's character is making out with Diaz?)

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
During that scene it bugs me how Aragorns sword, and knife jump back into his scabbard as he falls....

I would have rather had Gimli or Legolas pick it up and return it to him at helms deep.

Another sword blooper is during the "Do not trust to hope..." part. Eomer's sword falls out of his scabbard, and it had to have hit Viggo, or landed near him.

jimbo w

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched the ee for the first time. Wow , I felt this film benefits alot more from the directors cut than the first film. Although I enjoyed both ee this one tied up alot more loose ends imho. I am so ready for rotk !

Mikah Woodward

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know of a DVD where I can see the final trailer for Return of the King?
There is one thing I can think of. The limited edition of the ROTK soundtrack (coming out dec 9) comes with a DVD that has a "supertrailer" for all three movies. I don't know if they just put the three trailers back to back or if they did something else, though.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking this "Supertrailer" is going to end up being footage of all 3 movies put together to kind of tonally tell the story of LOTR--set to Howard Shore's music. Although I'm kind of hoping the music they use is the official, never heard before concert version of the Requiem music they used in the Two Towers trailers and the ROTK video game ads...although that kind of screws me because for the last 4 or 5 months I've been trying to do just that exact same thing with some video editors and the "unofficial" Requiem Orchestral version music that I edited together ;)

I know I'm probably going to buy the limited edition ROTK soundtrack just for that trailer and the Howard Shore documentary. I love film scores, and while I dont' think the ROTK soundtrack is QUITE as good as it's two predecessors, it's still really great music.

GeoffBr

Agent
Welcome to the world of special effects. What you see is blue/green screen photography. What they did is that they have put screens behind the people they interview and later added the backgrounds.
Thanks; the thought had occurred to me but I hadn't seriously considered it. I guess I just figured that they would've been more careful with it, especially for the EE... even on my father's small tv, it's annoying enough for him to comment - and his eyes aren't what they used to be.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Thank you for the interview Chris. I just love PJ. He's like George Lucas when he made A New Hope, before he turned into a devious businessman and started believing his own hype. I don't think anything like that will happen to PJ b/c he's much more collaborative than George and he has so many great ppl in New Zealand with him at Weta.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I got the ROTK CD/DVD soundtrack with the "SuperTrailer" and watched just that part last night. It's about 6 1/2 minutes and seems to be a completely new compilation of trailer moments from the three films. It's a very effective composite trailer.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for the interview Chris. I just love PJ. He's like George Lucas when he made A New Hope, before he turned into a devious businessman and started believing his own hype. I don't think anything like that will happen to PJ b/c he's much more collaborative than George and he has so many great ppl in New Zealand with him at Weta.
Of course, we wouldn't expect PJ to have the same attachment to LOTR since he didn't actually create the story.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I know this probably echoes earlier thoughts in this thread, but after pouring through all of the documentaries and featurettes on Discs 3 and 4 (with the exception of the majority of the production galleries), I finally got started with the extended cut last night. I watched the first 30 minutes late last night, followed by another 30-minute segment early this morning, so I'm now at the halfway point on Disc 1. Everything I've seen thus far has been great! Especially the new footage.

The early clip of Frodo falling all of two feet to the ground was amusing, and the later clip of Gollum going off on Sam was a good addition as well. I also like Gandalf's wiseguy comment to Aragorn before they leave Fangorn Forest - another amusing moment that I'm glad PJ put back into the film.

Of course, I'm going through the film now in preparation for seeing Return of the King this weekend. It's gonna be great, the DVD and the new movie! Of course, it's all a precursor to next year's new 4-disc (maybe 5-disc?) EE of ROTK. Let's bring it on and have that 12-hour marathon! :D

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to watching this last night.

The video quality is reference all the way.

Audio quality? Wow! The DTS ES track is amazing. The clarity in the subtle details is very impressive, giving a very natural feel. Restraint was used when appropriate, and the surrounds could really kick in when called for.

This is an extremely well done sound mix....one of the best that I have ever heard. And they did it with class, without being "gimmicky" like many other blockbusters that are released on DVD.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I cant wait to see Return Of The King on Wednesday this should be great. It will definatly be a long movie at 3 Hrs and 42 Minutes (222 minutes). :cool: Makes me wonder how long the EE version will be. I can't wait for all three EE dvd's to be out so I can watch them back to back. It will be fun as I will watch FOTR and TTT EE dvd's on Tuesday and then go see the ROTK on Wednesday. Can't wait to hear the feedback from everyone that see's ROTK.

To everyone at Home Theater Forum

Have a Merry Chrismas and a safe and ejoyable New Year :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks