What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The John Wayne / John Ford Film Collection (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The older transfer is clearly riddled with EE and heavily filtered.

Look at close-up shots of their eyes or hairline around their hats..

While the new SE appears to be less sharp and more contrsty, I think I actually prefer the filmic look of it. It's a smoother image. I also don't thinkt he colors were accuratey balanced on the old transfer.

I think in comparisson, the original transfer had a more uneven digital look to it from all the processing.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
Can anyone tell me where to find the UPC or proof-of-purchase for The Searchers Ultimate Edition?I can't seem to locate it anywhere. I really would like the poster and I don't know what to do.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The boxset's UPC or proof-of-purchase is what you have to use. I personally checked the separate "The Searchers Ultimate Collector's Edition" being sold at a Target and it has the same UPC as the John Wayne/John Ford boxset I bought from an etailer which is 1256980433. Why they didn't give the boxset a different UPC is up for debate.

Crawdaddy

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Marco, Which film from the collection are you talking about? The most recent posts were comparing the differences between the old and new Stagecoach but you mention colors so I think you are talking about another film.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I meant contrast... black and whites.

Sorry, I was out late last night and looking at captions from other comparisons on The Beav. I was probably typing while checking out another review. (oops!) :crazy:

addendum: That's not the first inattentive sloppy post Ive made this morning.

I do think the levels appear to be more balanced in the new transfer, strictly based on the screencaps posted though. The image just looks more natural to me, save for the slight boost in whites which appears a little blown out in a few of those grabs. I'll take the slight loss of sharpness over filtering and digital enhancement any day though.

But as somebody else mentioned, this is all opinion and preferance.

I'm sure I'll be happy with the transfer when the box set arrives... I'll post again to note whether my opinions have changed.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Thanks for posting that comparison. The new transfer is obviously a huge improvement in terms of both image quality, and image framing. I'm very excited to finally see the film properly.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Terrific! The Searchers will be mine...but not until Father's Day! :frowning: :D

I was worried a few posts ago that Patrick was concerned about framing/zooming issues with the new release. Maybe I am confused about
which-pic-was-which in his post.

Glad to hear you fellas think all is well.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The new 2 Disc SE of THE SEARCHERS is one of the finest transfers I have ever seen on DVD. Period. An amazing presentation.

Today's New York Times has a huge article about the film and its place in film history by A.O. Scott. If you look it up online, there is also a little video review with Scott speaking about the film.

The whole Wayne/Ford boxed set is an exceptional assemblage, and I just purchased extra copies to give as gifts given the amazing price this week via DEEP DISCOUNT's 20% off sale.

Occasionally mentioned, but not given enough attention is the spectacular new restoration of FORT APACHE. Just stunning!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched that last night, impressive....... My only disappointment is that Fort Apache is such a great film with so many interesting characters, I think a commentary would've been in order.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Seconded; the lack of such may give those new to Ford films the impression that it's one of the great man's lesser works. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Update on the mispackaging issue that several here, including me, had with the Searchers UCE:

5 minutes ago, the FedEx man delivered the missing portfolio from Warner Home Video, just one week after I sent my email. My set is now complete and I'll be sending away for that replica poster:) Thanks WHV!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Well done for getting your extra materials. I am hoping that my package isn't missing anything, I imagine it will be a lot harder getting replacement materials sent overseas compared to within the U.S.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

Been reading this thread with much interest.

Over the years, thanks to the DVD format, I have become
a John wayne fan. I already own THE SEARCHERS, but this
DVD set seems like a "no brainer" purchase.

I'm going to buy this in the upcoming weeks.

I'm also a bit concerned about the STAGECOACH transfer as
the comparison pictures show that the new transfer is a bit
washed out. However, I'm not going to jump to any conclusions
either.

Question...

We all know that The Searchers is a classic. Outside
lof that title, are these titles considered to be amongst John
Wayne's best work or are we getting one (or two) really great
movies and the rest are mediocre?

I just have not seen enough John Wayne films in my lifetime
to know which are amongst his best. My favorite John Wayne
film to date is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ron, IMHO, there isn't a dud here; I can't think of any Ford / Wayne picture that would be considered truly mediocre (save Donovan's Reef, and that has its moments). The Searchers, Stagecoach and Fort Apache are genuine classics of American film, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon is a thing of incredible beauty - and Wayne is astonishingly good in it - the rest are all truly excellent films. Buy with confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks