What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The John Wayne / John Ford Film Collection (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
The restored version premiered at Cannes. I assume The Academy will be a screening the same print?

I am concerned that the future of film restoration will involve scanning the best possible elements at a 4K (or in the future higher) resolution. Then using computers to do the best job of recreating the film in the digital realm, then scanning the results back to film to create a new preservation negative.

Have we reached the point where a purely photochemical restoration is just not cost effective? Can more been done to acheive better results using computers, at lower total cost?

Or is this just a one off event because The Searchers' camera negative was in very poor condition?

JohnPM

Second Unit
Wasn't it shot on eastman negative? If so, I assume those elements might be a little problematic as source material for a restoration, as opposed to the separation negatives, which they generally seem to go to for these restoration projects (assuming those separations still exist). I seem to have read that "Foxfire" was the last feature actually shot on three-strip negative ...

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Great collection of films for a very reasonable cost ($55 delivered from Amazon in my case with free 1-2 day delivery for being an experimental Prime member). :) Even if Searchers and Stagecoach would be only marginal improvements for the double dip I look forward to the extras.

Joel

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can't even name the number of times I've seen "The Searchers" in my lifetime, but today's viewing was among the best. What a great dvd presentation for a film masterpiece. This Ford guy sure knew how to film a picture.:)

Crawdaddy

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I knew I'd be getting this and pre-ordered it but seeing such a positive review is still good to see. I actually already had 4 of the films in this set (after all, I am a total John Wayne geek) but had the perfect solution, giving those earlier copies to another movie-loving friend. I'm hoping my set arrives today...I'll be watching The Searchers the day it arrives.

howardWB

Grip
If this doesn't make the top of the Best Box Sets Of The Year, then I don't know what could qualify! OMG it's a fantastic set, and all for a great price!
This is one not to pass up!

Regards,
Howard
:)

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Picked up my boxed set today, however I was disappointed to see that the UCE of The Searchers was not packaged right. It came with the two movie discs, which is really all I care about, but I got two identical portfolios, each containing a reproduction of the Dell comic book and press book. It didn't come with the coupon for the poster, the B&W stills, or the memos :frowning:

Best Buy only had one of the sets, so I can't exchange it, and I doubt they'd only let me exchange The Searchers.

Has anybody else come across this problem in their sets?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Same here! I just got home from Best Buy and I also have two sets that include the Comic and publicity info.

I think I might have to break out that WB phone number that I have laying around somewhere.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I've e-mailed both Bill Hunt and Warner Brothers Customer Service about the packaging issues with The Searchers UCE. Hopefully Warner will set up some sort of program so those of us who purchased mispackaged copies can receive the missing portfolio by mail. I really was looking forward to hanging that replica poster in my room :frowning:

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
I got my set at Best Buy and my set came with the stills, poster offer, etc. I don't know where you are but in Atlanta Ga they got it right. :) I love this set and even had a former boss of mine who likes westerns drooling! Hahaha. He asked what I paid for it. I paid $69 with tax. :frowning: I will be watching the Searchers first. Thanks again to ***George Feltentien*** and the great team at ***Warner Brothers Home Video***. Wow! Dvd set of the year??? It is so far for me.

richardWI

Second Unit
I hope they follow up with a John Wayne / Howard Hawkes box. I could go for some Rio Bravo two disc special edition action.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Howard Hawks and John Wayne made five pictures together:

Red River (1948) UA/MGM
Rio Bravo (1959) Warner
Hatari! (1962) Paramount
El Dorado (1966) Paramount
Rio Lobo (1970) Batjac/Paramount

Unfortunately, Warner only controls one of these, and a boxset of all five is well-nigh impossible given the rights situation. That said, none of the five has been given any kind of special edition treatment (in particular, I hope that Red River will get the upgrade it richly deserves somewhere down the line). Despite my love for Hawks, Rio Bravo has never really worked for me: too much all-star mugging and smirking, I guess.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Warners have already said that they're going to have another go at Rio Bravo, the current DVD is pretty good, but I'd love some decent extras, moreso for Red River, but under its current ownership, well, that'll be the day...

Charlie Kaus

Agent
I got mine today. Definetly the box set of the year. My searchers didn't come with a upc or proof of purchase so I'm hoping the proof of purchase from the box set works.

Charlie

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone in Canada purchased this box set yet?

If so, could you please inform us whether any of the DVDs packaged within had bilingual covers?

Thanks!!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I haven't seen this yet on the shelves locally Marco. I'm guessing it's delayed till the end of the month in Canada, as per most Warner boxsets. Amazon.ca shows it June 20.

Which is the poops for people wanting to buy these as fathers day gifts.

:frowning:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I tried to buy it last night and ended up picking up the Bette Davis set instead because I was told that it was pushed back 2 weeks. Some retailers tend to get them in earlier though so it all depends.

Hopefully we'll see them on shelf soon and get an answer on the packaging.

It sucks that such a trivial issue has to be one at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks