What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Fog" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I did a service menu adjustment on my player, and was able to get through the Fog okay (starting from the layer change). Then, I played LOTR from the forming of the Fellowship to the end, and it worked okay until the part where Sam swims out to Frodo. It started freezing and pixelating, and I had to do quick rewinds to get it to work. I had to do that every thirty seconds or so until the end. Very frustrating. Since others are having problems with these discs, I don't know what to do. I'm thinking it's time to start shopping for another player. :frowning:

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I'm going to have to give this flick another chance. I've only seen it once, (yes, in widescreen) and my memory was that it had good atmosphere, but was way too dull. Maybe I was crazy? I'm reading all these great reviews. I'll have to rent it.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
This DVD looks damn good. Slightly red-ish hues to the skin tone. But considering much of this movie is dark, I expected far more grain than what I saw. Light grain popped up in a number of scenes, but overall this transfer is solid throughout. Great colors and pretty good shadow detail. This is by far the best this film has ever looked.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
My favorite "widescreen revelation" moment is
when the ghost comes to kill the 3rd guy on the boat

you didn't even see the approaching figure in the "idiot's" aspect ratio! Show that to Mister No Black Bars and give him a big :D

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Jordan_E, that is the exact same scene that I was smitten with when I saw it in widescreen on this DVD! My father is on the fence about widescreen/pan and scan, but I showed him the same scene in pan and scan, and then the widescreen one, and he seemed beyond impressed. This is expected though, seeing how 2:35:1 is the ratio that is butchered the most by pan and scan. Thats why it so very fun seeing Carpenter's films in widescreen for the very first time! :)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
WOW! Exellent horror picture. The first few minutes, with the old mariner telling the story to the kids is the best bit of horror/creepy thing I've ever seen, incredibley simple yet so effective!!!!!!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Well, I gotta say that I've been 'out of the loop' on this one. I remember seeing it on tv last year and enjoying it(even though it was one of those 'siding-sales movie'
specials-cut to shreds!) but had never read this thread.And I remember when it released theatrically but I passed it up for the in-your-face action of "Speed" last night. Now I'm gonna have to get to Circuit City and pick it up for $12.99! I love an intentionally slow-paced horror movie!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I PRE-ordered THE FOG from DeepDiscountDVD on August 23rd, and it has still not been shipped. :frowning: *sniff*
(Footnote: In defense of DDD [my favorite on-line DVD source], I have noted that The Fog is, somewhat to my surprise, listed as #1 (!!) on its Best Sellers list! There ARE indeed many, many FOG fans out there it would appear!) :)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
David,

My The Fog from DDD came last week. It had a defect. They sent me a postage paid label and arranged to ship another out but they are out of stock until Sept, 7th.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
Well I finally got this disc and watched it Wednesday night. It's been awhile since I've seen the movie but I felt like I was a newbie since it scared the hell out of me so much I couldn't sleep for hours. It felt like the first time I saw Halloween.

I watched the movie on dvd-rom drive and I noticed a glitch during the campfire scene. While on a longshot showing the kids and the fisherman it zooms for a second on the fisherman before it goes to a close up on him. It probably has to something with rom drive and not the disc itself (I hope) so I was wondering if anybody else had this glitch. I'll test it out on my regular player this weekend and I'll see if I am right.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok well i finally got around
to watching this ..ahem.. scary movie.
i almost bought it for less the $10 a little while ago.
i would have overpaid.
no dis-respect to those who like this movie, i just didn't.
here is my short review on my tiny website that i have u mostly just for friends and family.
sorry if the page is wacky looking. i'm no web designer for sure.
link
i'm wondering, many folks here said they remember this movie being good/scary when they saw it many years ago.
after having seen it again, do you still feel this was as good as your memory told you it was?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks