What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Fog" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am very impressed with the package.
One thing I will say about the documentary is that they talk a lot about the advantages of anamorphic widescreen a lot which surprised me. Also there is a widescreen and P&S version, I will be watching the widescreen ofcourse.
:D

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
My PreOrder of "The Fog" shipped yesterday. Can barely wait. I've seen this movie atleast 15 times on tv in 4:3 mono, UGH! Now widescreen, 5.1 audio. WOOHOO! :D
Now if only Sept, 3rd would get here so my preorder of "April Fool's Day" would get here. :b

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys. If you'd like another review to hold you over until Tuesday, feel free to check mine out (at the link below).
Here's hoping you all love this disc as much as I do! ;)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Scott.....I enjoyed that review of The Fog very much! Excellent! (And I agree with you....I love the film too! At THIS PRICE, everybody should envelop themselves in THE FOG! :) )
While giving us the dope on the original 1980 featurette, Scott, in his review, provides this Classic quip.......
"I've seen scrolls pulled out of the Pyramids with less dirt and scratches than this piece, ..." :laugh:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Why are you in discomfort, Jon? The DVD is nearly in your hands! Rejoice! Have a FOG party! I'm gonna have one! (Just ordered the DVD today. Invited Jamie Lee....think she'll show up? *I wish!* :) )

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys! I hope you and all my fellow Fog Freekz have a great Tuesday night! And I say invite the kiddies! It's a 'soft R'! :laugh:

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Compared to some of the R rated movies my nieces and nephews say they've seen, THE FOG is downright tame! 3 more days!

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Looking forward to seeing this for the first time in a couple days. This is the perfect week for it to be released, too (here in CT at least) because I was watching the weather forecast this evening and in the 5 day forecast, there was a fog graphic for Thursday and Friday, which I hardly ever see in the 5 day. :) Just thought that was kind of ironic and thought I'd share it with you.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I watched it on the front projection last night with a newbie. He wasn't impressed...but the hell with him. ;)
Solid disc as you've already heard.
What impressed me the most though, the 5.1 mix is VERY well done. A nice bonus. It truly adds to the film rather than play as a gimmick.
Boy my Carpenter section is looking good on the shelf now. :)

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Circuit City has the DVD for $12.99 this week. I was going to hold off, but at that price and because I watched Carpenter's "The Thing" on the Sci-Fi channel tonight, looks like I will have it in my hands on Tuesday.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Toward the beginning of the movie, after Hal Holbrook looks at the book that falls out of the wall, be sure to freeze frame it and zoom in as he's looking at the pages. When he begins to leaf through the pages, you can barely glimpse a heavily scrawled page as he turns to another. If you freeze on that heavily scrawled page and zoom in, you can make out some obscene passage that the art department put there as a joke. It was never meant to be viewable, because it goes by too fast when watching in a theater and VHS quality would have made it illegible. But, thanks to the clarity of DVD, we get to be in on the joke. Director John Carpenter attributed the prank to longtime friend and the movie's art director Randy Moore. But Carpenter was never previously aware of the joke.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Finally,I have it HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! :D :D :D
The Fog and Last House on the Left for $25 (which is what Paramount :thumbsdown: wants for bare bones discs).
Thank you MGM!

I gotta say, the two teaser trailers, despite their fuzzy picture quality, gave me willies: that creepy music, that voice-over ("look into the darkness across the water"), that hand emerging from the water...a shame the trailers for modern horror films can't be more like this, instead usually consisting of girls, guns, and idiotic one-liners.

RJ Fielder

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Oh Well, Had it in my grasps. Got 1 hour and 8 minutes into the movie and it started freezing and pixelating bad. Tried cleaning it couple times but didn't help. Atleast DDD's customer support kindly offered to mail me a prepaid return shipping label and another Disc. What I did see I loved. Much better than any 4:3 Mono version on cable.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Daryl, did it freeze at the point where the fog is in the house with the boy and the babysitter? That's the layer change.

Oh, the horror! My LOTR disc flipped out at the layer change, and now this one does, too. Right at the point I described above. I figured my player (Sony DVP-S560D) had gone and joined Sammy, but I think it might be the discs after all. Why? Because I'm playing Unbreakable right now, and the layer change caused no problems whatsoever. It isn't a real reliable test, because I knew where the layer change was, and so skipped to the chapter right before the change. I'm going to watch a few other movies I know have worked in the past and see what happens.

See, before your post, I was planning to either take my player in for servicing (well, for an estimate; I'm out of warranty, and I think they want around $179) or get a new player. Actually, even if my player just can't handle the way discs are now being authored, I might as well get a new player. Again, this'll all largely depend on what happens with my old, previously-working discs. In any case, I'll probably talk to the folks at the service center and see if there might be some firmware upgrade I can get.

Boy. Do you know how awful it is to have a movie like the Fog lock up right at the critical moment? I was completely enveloped in the story, and then rudely ripped out of it.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Daryl, did it freeze at the point where the fog is in the house with the boy and the babysitter? That's the layer change.
Yes. That's exactly where it happen first. But, then I cleaned the disc and after that it starts at 1hr, 10minutes into the movie and goes to the end like that. A second cleaning didn't change anything though and I cleaned it a total of 4 times. No other disc's I have do this. LOL, my nurse was freakin. Like you said it was just getting good and Bang! freeze ups. HEHEHE. :)
My LOTR:FOTR plays fine.
Back when I got Evil Dead: Book of the Dead, it did the same thing with about 30 minutes left. 2 good cleanings cleared it right up. And Halloween H20 did it and cleaning did not help. I had to return it for replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks