What's new

HTF REVIEW: The Flintstones - The Complete First Season (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps some episodes were created with and without, which is why only 6 of the 14 episodes on the LD have the option to listen with or without the laugh track?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I noticed a few other different things about the first season, also: Dino has been several different colors (blue-ish in the opening credits & red in one episode I remember), but still not the purple we become familiar with later.

And another thing is the cars seem to have motors. They don't have to use their feet to get anywhere in them. Glad they changed it in later seasons to something funnier and more plausible -- not that much about the show is plausible, but funny prehistoric gadgets have always been a show trademark, so having a motorized car there is just lame.

I'm enjoying the set, but the first season is definitely not its peak. Seems like this batch of episodes was seldom played in syndication back when Superstation aired it (or do I just have a selective memory?), but I really do remember Fred singin' "When the Saints Go Marching In" from the episode entitled 'Hotlips Hannigan'!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
One thing that struck me about the restored "rise and shine" open is that the Flintstones title logo is yellow, while the (presumably) same footage used in the sponsored opens uses a logo that's plain old "boulder grey". I had assumed the restored open was colorized for that reason, but upon further reading the open's coloring is original. What gives?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
For those in Canada: I know it's kinda late, but if you were waffling because of price, Wal-Mart has the set for $43 now (~US$32), a $12 price drop from when I got mine a few days ago. This is in line with similar-sized The Simpsons etc. sets there.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
I refuse to watch the Flintstone movies.

Three of the cartoons on disc one are my all time favourites.

#1, The Split Personality
#2, No Help Wanted
#3, The Flintstone Flyer

BTW, Was the Flyer used in other episodes?
I seem to remember. it was.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
These episodes are all great! I can't wait for season 2, with Alvin Brickrock Presents and so many more classics. How about all the musical numbers yet to come? The Way Outs? Jimmy Darrock? Samantha? Ann Margrock? This show rules...I want all the seasons!

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
How many look a likes did Fred and Barney have, through out the series?

Fred had a wealthy business man and a king as doubles.

Barney had a king as a double.

Fred had ten alien clones made from him.

The Great Kazoo made dum dums of Fred and Barney.

Did Wilma and Betty have look a likes too?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised no one has commented about the incorrect Trivia listed on the box. They said that Dino doesn't appear until episode 18 (he was in 2 episodes before - so is that even Dino in episode 18?) and the question about the opening of the show (the answer is correct, but that event doesn't take place in the opening for season 1).

Did anyone else find the audio very low?

Gord

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
gord i noticed in the list that was earlier in this thread about production order and aired order that ep 18 the snorkasaurus haunters, aired in the #11 slot.
so this was the 11th ep to be on tv, not the 18th.
and when the 17th and 18th aired they were actually the 20th and 19th respectively.
so at the point when 18 ep's actually aired, 2 production order eps had already aired,(20 +18).
s0 does that factor into your question in any way?

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
This set is listed in the current Canadian Wal Mart flyer for $42.83. Great Deal. (Scooby Doo is $55.83) Even if it is a mistake, you can price match it at Futureshop like the previous Looney Tunes Golden Collection misprice.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

As mentioned, I got (a refund to) that price with no problem at WM, so I don't think it's a mistake. But I had bought it at WM, dunno how refunding to a competitor's lower price works at FS if the goods are "used", never tried it, but they say they do it.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I purchased both Flintstones and Scooby Doo at Future Shop Friday night. Each sold for $53.99 (CDN), but they lopped $10 off if you bought both sets together. Anyway...........I did...........and they didn't. Didn't realize until after the fact that they didn't knock the $10 off.

I've yet to watch the Scooby set, but I watched disc 1 of the Flintstones. Talk about a trip down memory lane. I haven't watched these episodes in well over 15 years. lol. It's great. I love seeing the original opening of the show as well as the closing credits. It's definitely a change from what I grew up watching as a kid.

I haven't checked any of the special features yet. I figure I'll watch all of the episodes first, then I'll check them out. I'm looking forward to checking out "The Flagstones.".

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Got the Flintstones at Walmart - by my work after trying the one near home which was sold out - at the 42.83 price. Little worried as the sticker price was the 54.83 one.

It was the last copy too.:D

Greg Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I noticed the Dino thing as well. Even when you take into account the change in production/broadcast order, Dino is definately seen and mentioned by name in episode 4 (production episode 6). This is well before episode 18 (as listed on the trivia section of the box). I was wondering if there were changes made to some of the shows at a later date or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks