What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Core (1 Viewer)

Mickey P

Agent
PARAMOUNT, now could you PLEASE release CRACK IN THE WORLD...
Is crack in the world that one where they detonate one or two nuclear bombs inside of Volcanoes, and a crack starts and winds up going in a complete circle and blows a chunk off the planet as the two survivors watch as the earth now has two moons?? Or something like that. If thats the one, I used to love that movie, although have not seen it in 10 years or so!! I would jump on that movie in a minute if they ever released it!!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ok, for those that bag on moives like this (The Core, Armageddon).

The Core, for example. You see the trailer, it gives the basic plot. Bore to the core, blow it up to restart the planet. From the trailer alone, you can see that it is impossible to do in today's real world. You also see they are going to incorporate some real science and some science-fiction.

So why go see it expecting it to be scientifically accurate and then bag on it when it's not, all too well knowing (just from the trailer) it's not going to be?

Peace Out~:D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen this, but the trailer showed enough ridiculous science that I passed on it. I will probably rent it at some point, though. Science fiction is just that, speculative fiction based on science. Some Scifi has forgotten that. It's more like faux-science fiction. When the science is so bad that it makes you almost laugh because it's so absurd, it ruins the believability.

Maybe we need a word for stuff like this. (ID4, The Core, Armegeddon, etc). New word? Sci-pop? For sciencey popcorn movie? I think I'll start calling them that.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Cogito, Ergo Sum - "I think, therefore I am" juxtaposed against a post that ( as I read it ) encourages viewers to dismiss verisimilitude in the name of enjoying a film. Seems ironic to me. Just attempting to making a mildly humorous observation. ( Really. ) :)

Edited to correct a horrific spelling error.

- Walter.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Walter I am afraid I that I'm too dumb ;) to understand how Cogito, Ergo Sum - "I think, therefore I am" juxtaposed against my statement that I don't think that every Sci-Fi movie must be exacting in its dedication to scientific accurateness is humorous. :D I guess my sense of humor and/or irony is too different from yours. No matter. I can enjoy a Science Fiction film or a book no matter where it is on the continuum between 100% scientific accuracy & 0% accuracy. "Core " does lean more toward the 0% end of the continuum. I bought it because it reminded me of two other "underground films" that I enjoy, ""Crack in the World" & "Journey to the Center of the Earth", neither of which can be accused of scientific accuracy. I simply enjoy the theme of exploring the depths of the Earth. If the creator's of these pieces of entertainment feel a need to take some liberties with scientific accuracy to tell a story, I have no problems with that.

As to Cogito, Ergo Sum - "I think, therefore I am". I simply found this quote interesting when I viewed the TNG episode where Professor Moriarty says it. Being a huge Star Trek fan I decided to use something from Star Trek in my signature and this came to mind as being something different. Being a maverick, I like to be different from the masses.

Jeff, I think this dude just swore at you
Nay. I think Walter is testing my vocabulary.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Walter I am afraid I that I'm too dumb to understand how Cogito, Ergo Sum - "I think, therefore I am" juxtaposed against my statement that I don't think that every Sci-Fi movie must be exacting in its dedication to scientific accurateness is humorous
You do know the origin of this quote, right?

--
H

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Now I remember, someone else pointed this out to me before. I still don't see the connection to "The Core" & its lack of scientific correctness.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I saw this in the theater too and although "scientifically" flawed, it did entertain to a degree. Since I own such movies as "Earthquake", "Volcano", "The Towering Infrerno", etc., I will probably buy this one. I actually euqate this movie more with "Fantastic Voyage" than with "Armaggedon" or "Sudden Impact." It is one of those movies that will in all probablility NEVER happen, I just let the science go and view it more as an action movie pure and simple.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Descartes is pretty much the father of the scientific method.

That quote embodies the extreme scientific riguor he pioneered (or codified?), where proof is required for everything, including his own existence. The irony should now be obvious.

Some more articulate poster will elaborate or correct me. Of course, we could just go back to discussing this fine film :)

--
H

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The irony should now be obvious.
I understand now. IMO there is simply no connection between or irony associated with my use of the sig & my opinion about the scientific accuracy of "The Core" as a film. My feelings about scientific accuracy were expressed in POST #28.

Also I explained my use of the sig in that post & it has nothing to do with Descartes & his work.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I liked "Wing Commander."

Therefore, I am, even if most of you think I am not, or probably never will be, or ever was.

Descartes never thought of that, now did he?!

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Funny thread, gang; more, please (I'm really biting my tongue here)! BTW, saw The Core earlier tonight; I found it less tedious, less grating, and less cynical, to be sure, and more entertaining than Armageddon, a big steaming bag o' crap if ever I saw one. But The Core's not quite as good as Meteor (with Sean connery and Natalie Wood, 1979. Just kidding!)
Cheers!

DS.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
In a case of Reality imitating Art, I watched a PBS program on NOVA recently called "Magnetic Storm". The program was about the real weakening of the Earth's magnetic field that is happening & the possible reasons why. It sure fits in with this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks