What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: The Cat in the Hat (1 Viewer)

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
Pretty generous giving the movie a full star instead of just a half a star. I guess it could've rated worse.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
My kids really wanted to see this (ages 5 and 7) so my wife MADE me go to the Theater as a "family trip". My 5 year old and I both fell asleep in this piece of "censored". This ranks up there with one of the worst films I have ever seen. It is a little sad though, I knew in the theater that this release would be near reference quality visually because of great set design....too bad there was no story to work with!

Dave

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
At least Mrs. Seuss saw the light.

Ernest's comments are right on target, and there is no more I can add.

"The Cat in the Hat" is the biggest, rankest, stinkiest piece of animal feces ever to be undeservedly allotted any 35mm film stock and shoved down the throats of audiences who, even though they chose to witness this fatal accident posing as a motion picture, deserve better. Everyone involved in the production of the film should be forbidden from employment in the entertainment business ever again. This film should not be preserved; all copies should be destroyed as quickly and completely as possible at all costs and the knowledge of the film should be purged from all historical records and everyone's memory for the good of Western Civilization. A codicil to the First Amendment making an exception for movies this bad should be added. Never again! :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm excited.

My copy was shipped today.

I need to see for myself just how bad this film is.

Stay tuned....

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
The Grinch was absolutely awful. What was Ron Howard thinking (or smoking)? When I first heard about the upcoming Cat in the Hat movie, I was pretty sure that it would be just as bad, if not worse. From what I hear, it's considerably worse.

As for the challenge:

The Cat in the Hat was an answer to a challenge (not sure from whom) to write a beginning reader book like the Dick & Jane books that were popular at the time. He could only use words that were available to those books. I believe it was a list of 60 words.

Green Eggs and Ham was a follow up to the challenge to write an even earlier beginner book using only 30 words (or thereabouts).

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I subjected myself to the torture of watching Cat in the Hat last night. I gladly would have given up 2 hours of sleep to watch Schindler's List instead. I hated the Grinch, which nows looks like a classic next to this abomination. While the set design was colorful, it was about the only good thing in this movie. I just wanted that alternate dimension to swallow up everyone.

This movie goes on my worst list of 2003 along with Dumb and Dumberer, Legally Blonde 2, Life of David Gale, and Bad Boys 2.

John KB

Second Unit
Does anyone like this movie? I almost want to buy it just to see what all the hostility is all about!

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

Many people could say the same for the dreck "Far and Away."

I liked The Grinch. The trailer for Cat in the Hat was enough for me to stay away. I have not seen it, will not rent it and will not watch it when it comes on HBO (not even if it's on in HD).

Other movies I have not and will never see are:
Gigli and Hulk (that CGI Hulk was enough to keep me away)

I tried to give Daredevil a go since it was on HBO in HD. I couldn't make it past the 10 minute mark.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Peee-Yuuu!

Well, I did it!

I bought this DVD blindly against all imaginable
warnings given, and watched it last night.

You guys were right! A real turd!

.....but I had to know for myself and for that
it was worth the $20 I paid.

I never envisioned a film that could be so unimaginable
and so far attached from the very book it represents.

A kids film? There were more sexual innuendos and
double-entendres than those Bugs Bunny shows I watched
as a kid. Who would have thought the lovable Dr. Seuss
we all grew up with could be filled with such vile?

This film wasn't even funny. I didn't crack a
grin once. As much as I could imagine how
embarrassed Mike Meyers must be about appearing
in this film, I wonder if Alec Baldwin shouldn't
feel even more embarrassed. Has Baldwin's
career sunk so low that he now freely humiliates
himself this way?

Oh, for those of you who haven't had the pleasure
of watching The Cat In The Hat, make no mistake
about it -- this is the worst drek that has ever
been made. I can't believe that the filmmakers
would violate the sanctity of Dr. Seuss in this
manner.

And for the record....I loved THE GRINCH.
Say what you will about that Ron Howard film, but
at least it was very true to the book and certainly
not as profane as The Cat In The Hat.

Well worth the $20 for me to be able to post my
opinion here and steer as many of you away from
this film as possible.

PS: As a sidenote, the transfer was goregeous.
A real waste of resolution!

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Far and Away? Was that the one about the two Irish immigrants who came to America in the 1800's? I'm thinking Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman? Not sure about the actors though. That movie wasn't that bad. Far from great, mind you. But, definitely not terrible.

I'll agree with you there. At least The Grinch more or less followed the book and its general themes.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Alright get ready to rip me. I just rented this and I thought this was one of the funniest movies I've seen in quite a while. I was crying I was laughing so hard after Cat gets hit in a certain private area. You'll never be able to listen to Lionel Richie the same again.

I'm a huge Mike Myers fan and this is a Myers vehicle if I've ever seen one. To me this is a very similar movie to Jim Carrey's "The Mask". I don't really care much about the book or how loyal the film was to it. I mean they couldn't do a word for word remake of the book unless they wanted a 10 minute film. I enjoyed this film so much I can't wait to buy this one. Thanks to all of you for the negative reviews because it made me enjoy it that much more.

I respect all of your opinions about the film (as I hope you would mine, even though you disagree) but for me I really wish I had went to the theater and seen this one. That way I wouldn't have had to rent it and I could've just immedately bought it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

You know what Jonathan? I lied. I did crack a
chuckle at that ONE VERY SCENE. It was the highlight
of the entire film.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
At least someone liked it, I have a co-worker who really liked it. I have alwys said a movie, no matter how bad, has at least one fan, and this one has 2 ;) !
I had a free ticket and wanted to walk out, shame too because i do really like Myers.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ron, I'm glad you liked that scene too. That is about the hardest I've laughed in a movie. Only "Stonehenge" from Spinal Tap, "The Killer Rabbit" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and "Corky's Funky Dance" from Waiting for Guffman were funnier scenes for me.

Oh well I hate that you guys didn't like the movie. I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would. This really isn't a kids movie. Even though it shouldn't have been rated this, I think this movie is more suited for a PG-13 audience. There are so many jokes that only adults will enjoy.

Not every movie I like is popular when first released (Billy Madison or Man on the Moon anyone?) but again my two least favorite movies of all time were VERY popular, The Royal Tenenbaums and O Brother, Where Art Thou?. Just goes to show different strokes for different folks.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Still haven't seen this, but I thought Billy Madison was one of the funniest movies I'd ever seen, so that destroys my credibility right there ;)
I liked Howard The Duck too.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I know I'm a couple weeks late joining in on the conversation but I didn't see "Cat in the Hat" until just today. I know I'm in the extreme minority here, but I thought this was hilarious. I fully expected this to be a cutesy family flick which wouldn't appeal to anyone over the age of 7. Little did I know that this film would pull a "Shrek" and throw in obscure jokes for the more mature audience.....many of which I cracked up at. I got a kick out of the scene where they mock infomercials with the cupcake machine. I've always said to people how much they over-act in those things, and Myers played it out hilariously. Call me shallow minded, or what-not, but I laughed out loud many times throughout this film. I think a lot of people expected this to be an 'iron clad' version of the book. The fact is, it's hard to make a 90-minute movie out of a 25-30 page children's story. The basic elements of the story are there.......and what they added was perfect.

Following the movie, I looked at the parental rating on the box, and now fully understand why it was rated PG as opposed to FAMILY. Mind you, aside from the obvious sight gags......the hit in the privates, etc, the majority of the jokes are so obscure, children wouldn't be able to figure them out. Same goes for 'Shrek', which is why I equally love that film. It caters to both audiences, not just one.

Different strokes for different folks. Certainly, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I loved it.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
I totally agree with you Andrew! Most comedies I've seen lately have sorta been filled with snickers but this one really made me laugh out loud alot. I also think that most people's problems with the movie are because they were fans of the book. I like the book fine but I didn't want to see a 10 minute movie either. I wanted to see a Mike Myers romp and that's EXACTLY what I got. And yes this is a family film but there is so many jokes that are ONLY for adults (Dirty Hoe, Cut off all his ..., SON OF A BI....(Hang In There Baby :) ). I guess I can see how some people won't like it, but I also think it has gotten an unfair bad rap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks