What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Butterfly Effect (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"but to say his existnece was responsible for all these bad things is something different and a bit more "bad X-files episode" to me."

Nooo,if that were the case youd have to have Ashton dancing in front of a mirror after changing bodies with someone else and have Kayleigh beat up robot nurses:)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Too true. I guess I should have said "a bad X-Files Season 1 or 2 episode."

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
I don't know. I liked both versions. It made more sense to me that the kids party would be filmed. Somehow I don't get why the father would film all three of his sons births when he knew what they were in for. Or maybe I'm answering my own question.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I watched the Director's Cut tonight. About fifteen minutes from the end I thought to myself, "the ending is gonna screw this whole thing for me." I had really enjoyed the movie (although one less "branching" storyline would have made for a better-paced movie) and was waiting for the bomb to drop. The ending BLEW ME AWAY! After seeing some luke-warm reviews of this, I could not believe I had seen the same movie! This was the first Infinifilm that I had rented (from Netflix, so no TC on it), so I enjoyed having the option to insert the other endings. I would have found the TC ending acceptable, but the "Stalker" and "Happy Sappy" endings would have completely ruined the experience for me...

:star: :star: :star: :star:

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
As a fan of time-travel movies, this has been high on my "must rent" list.

Now with all the talk of the multiple endings (multiple endings for a time-travel movie! Who have thunk it? ;) )I'm definately intrigued to check this out.

I'm familiar with the plot due to reading several spoiler sites, but I have a question about the ending. How are either of those ending (DC or theatrical) going to prevent Amy Smart and her brother from being abused? Regardless of what happens to Evan, she still gets abused and has a cruddy childhood...

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
A semi - answer to Scotts post.

I've seen it 3 times now. Unfortunately the film doesn't hold up after a number revisits. It's still a great film, but the more you watch it, the more plot holes you see. Personally, I think they should left the chaos theory out of the beginning of the film, because by having that in you start thinking about why Evan is still in jail after the stigmata scene for instance. There's also inconsistences with the black outs he has.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Bleh.

DC's ending was dumb, dumb, dumb. Theatrical ending wasn't that much better, but at least it didn't have a baby killing himself - that was just simply stupid.

I dunno why he went to jail - he was defending himself after all.

I absolutely hated how plot elements just appeared out of nowhere - hey, let's walk over here and see what happens. Yeesh.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I actually thought the film was one of the better recent horror films (not really horror, but you get the point) I have seen. One of the only recent ones I have enjoyed to any extent.

The Directors Cut is more morbid than the theatrical version, but I thought overall the better film and ending no matter how morbid it was. It had more of an effect.

If you dont like morbid/sad endings, watch the theatrical version. To me the theatrical ending was more of a copout than anything just to make people happy. Had the directors cut ending been showed theatrically, the movie would have probably been targeted by religious organizations and those pesky Minivan Soccer Moms we have all come to love.

Along with the Dawn of the Dead Remake, this is one of the only recent horror/thriller offerings I have really even managed to like at any point.

The movie is not without it's problems. It has holes which become evident if you pay too much attention.

As someone who is too much entirely sick of the hip and trendy I Know what you did last summer/Resident Evil type of films, this was a breath of fresh air.

As for The Butterfly Effect, I would give it ** out of 4 stars.

Here is how I would have rated some other recent horror I have seen.

Freddy vs Jason: * out of four stars

Alien vs Predator: 0 out of four stars (I will try this one again with the R rated DVD but am not expecting any major improvements)

Resident Evil 2: 1/2* out of 4.

Joyride: ** out of 4. Would give the first half *** out of 4. Nice first half.

Dawn of the Dead Remake: Dont compare to the original. Judge it as it's own movie. ** 1/2 out of 4.

Texas Chainsaw Remake: * out of 4.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Or it might have performed better. The Director's Cut is clearly where the movie wnated to go, the theatrical "happy ending" version is unconvincing and cliche. The movie references Fincher's Seven for a reason -- like the Fincher film, it also has a bitter and painful resolution...that is...it did.

If you have not seen this film, and you're out for a blind buy, do NOT watch the theatrical cut first. I watched this six hours ago for the first time, watched the director's cut and then watched the theatrical version. All of you who saw this in a theater were robbed by studio marketing personnell who were looking for a safe ending. The true version of this film is the Director's Cut.

Accept no watered-down substitutes.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
ok... now I guess you can call me dumb for asking, but how is the theatrical version a "happy ending"? yes she lived, but as anyone knows who has ever truly loved someone, living without them can be VERY painful.
just curious.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Well to me:

There's only one way for a problem like this to be fixed and that is for someone to die. As the director's said throughout the disc, New Line wanted a "happy" ending, which is what we got in the theatrical version. Happier endings were also made but both the studio and the director's settled for what was released. It might not make you dance and whistle out of the theaters but it's still a lot more cheerful than what the director's originally wanted. Even they said it was the only way for the film to end and I personally have to agree. To me, the theatrical version was way too Hollywood with the ending because it played it safe by having the star live. Too typical in films for the past decade or two.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Refering to Michael's spoiler comment:

It would have been 'way too hollywood' for me if he would have turned around and gone after her. The current theatrical ending was 'hollywood' but just a tad shy of going completely hollywood. did that make sense?

-paul

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
SUre, but have you tried playing the TC? It doesn't work, it tells you to flip the disc over, which you can't do.

So a different pressing is issue to Netflix? Is this new? It is certainly the case with this movie.

Excellent flick, I am not a senamored with AK's performance as some, but the movie was very good, and the DC ending completely floored me.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks